Author Topic: Starship Manufacturing Facility in Boca Chica  (Read 1109676 times)

Offline retrojet

• Gemany
    • alexrex.de
  • Liked: 668
  • Likes Given: 365
Re: Starship Manufacturing Facility in Boca Chica
« Reply #40 on: 05/26/2020 09:27 pm »
in Labpadre's latest flyover there appears to be a very big footing going in next to the Star Gate facility. It is in the bottom of the image below.  HB2 or just another steel building? Any guesses?

Source: Labpadre flyover

looks quite heavy. i guess it will be even bigger builing than the High Bay.
Guess they will build another kind of highbay for staking of the prototypes in line.

Offline WiresMN

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #41 on: 05/26/2020 10:36 pm »
in Labpadre's latest flyover there appears to be a very big footing going in next to the Star Gate facility. It is in the bottom of the image below.  HB2 or just another steel building? Any guesses?

Guess they will build another kind of highbay for staking of the prototypes in line.

I remember there was a tweet by someone who claimed to have knowledge of HB1 stating that there was a HB2 in the works and it would be bigger.  Those footings look massive. But I have not measured them.

Offline danneely

• Johnstown, PA, USA
  • Liked: 401
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #42 on: 05/26/2020 10:38 pm »

My guess is that would be the even-higher bay where Superheavy can be fully stacked.  OTOH I am a bit surprised that they're building it on the Stargate lot instead of their own property.

Offline danneely

• Johnstown, PA, USA
« Reply #43 on: 05/26/2020 10:51 pm »
A few other things that stood out from the flyby to me that either weren't reported here or that I missed/didn't understand what I was looking at.

1)  They're clearing the ground on all the lots on the northwest side of Joanna street; but haven't started on the other side of the block yet.

2)  The refilling of the sandquary lots was either only partial or is still ongoing, with the reclaimed area being used for stacked ring storage.  Good parts or more scrapyard???

3) I don't see any obvious signs of work having been done to the assorted SpaceX lots on either side of San Martin street or the lots on the NW side of Esperson despite previous reports that groundworks were being done to them.  The only difference is that the ground is a slightly different shade of green than surrounding lots.  Were they just mowed by someone who steered around all the trees/shrubs?  I was under the impression that 'groundworks' implied clearing/grading in preparation for doing something more substantial.

Offline aero

• Liked: 1145
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #44 on: 05/27/2020 12:55 am »
Maybe they cleared it off and painted it. You've probably seen that green stuff that gets blown on bare earth along new highway construction routes.
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline starskale

• Liked: 223
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #45 on: 05/27/2020 04:14 am »
From BCG:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=48895.msg2087078#msg2087078

Given the handrails I think it's quite clear that these are work platforms. Although there are a lot of them and their curve radius is much smaller than 9m making their purpose still a bit unclear. For working on domes maybe?
« Last Edit: 05/27/2020 04:14 am by starskale »

« Reply #46 on: 05/27/2020 04:27 am »
I could see them replacing some of the makeshift work platforms in the HB interior elevators. Could they have added two more on the sides without us seeing them?

Offline ShSch

« Reply #47 on: 05/27/2020 05:34 am »
Looks like about the right size for the trusses from here.

Offline ThatOldJanxSpirit

• Liked: 1425
  • Likes Given: 3411
« Reply #48 on: 05/27/2020 06:30 am »

I remember there was a tweet by someone who claimed to have knowledge of HB1 stating that there was a HB2 in the works and it would be bigger.  Those footings look massive. But I have not measured them.

Using my highly inaccurate ruler on screen technique those footings appear to be the same width as HB1 but twice the depth. Consistent with a four bay HB2 - but SpaceX are rarely that predictable.

Offline Okie_Steve

• Oklahoma, USA
  • Liked: 1136
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #49 on: 05/30/2020 02:39 pm »
Nomadd,

While we wait for info on SN4, have any infrastructure changes been happening at the construction site?

Things like the new metal building status, tents going up, going down or getting longer and ongoing 'dozer work?

Edit - Since the flyover one post up
« Last Edit: 05/30/2020 02:46 pm by Okie_Steve »

Offline Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #50 on: 05/30/2020 05:07 pm »
Maybe they cleared it off and painted it. You've probably seen that green stuff that gets blown on bare earth along new highway construction routes.

That green stuff isn't paint although it may be colored green - it's generally a mixture of grass seed, fertilizers and shredded or mulched straw mixed with some water for spaying it and to help hold it in place when over-seeding bare areas.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline danneely

• Johnstown, PA, USA
« Reply #51 on: 05/31/2020 04:26 pm »
One of Mary's recent pictures shows a tent being either built or dismantled.  If the former, where is it going up; if the latter which is being taken down?

Offline enbandi

• Hungary
  • Liked: 786
  • Likes Given: 386
« Reply #52 on: 05/31/2020 04:38 pm »
One of Mary's recent pictures shows a tent being either built or dismantled.  If the former, where is it going up; if the latter which is being taken down?

Seems like it is the small tent, dismantled, right from the main entrance. You can see the new ground fabrication building behind.

Offline danneely

• Johnstown, PA, USA
« Reply #53 on: 05/31/2020 05:38 pm »

Seems like it is the small tent, dismantled, right from the main entrance. You can see the new ground fabrication building behind.

I wasn't sure if it was that one or the skinny building going up near the really long big top. 

Offline Okie_Steve

• Oklahoma, USA
  • Liked: 1136
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #54 on: 05/31/2020 06:09 pm »
Gate A1 is a big hint to where it is.

Offline enbandi

• Hungary
  • Liked: 786
  • Likes Given: 386
« Reply #55 on: 05/31/2020 06:29 pm »

I wasn't sure if it was that one or the skinny building going up near the really long big top.

The big flipping door is quite unique in this facility, only the ground fab building have that style. (And it is visible/open in this pic)

And also, I waited for this small tent to be dismantled sooner or later. In the last weeks all the early tents were gone: ring former, the roll warehouse by the Stargate. This was the last one if I count it correctly.

So this would be something like a milestone for the facility (or we are close to that). Except they dont seem like to have milestones, but full continous iteration.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 942
« Reply #56 on: 06/01/2020 03:25 am »
This was the tent that housed the water jet cutter.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline WiresMN

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #57 on: 06/01/2020 03:53 am »
It had the press brake and I believe it had the water jet as well.

Offline BZHSpace

• Breizh
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #58 on: 06/01/2020 09:04 am »
According to what I saw of the LabPadre aerial view i can already say that a big structure will take place next to the StarGate building. Multiple foundations have been made and make a draw of a structure closed to the HB1 building. I think the ground surface is bigger than the HB1 and this structure is design to carry SH. I think multiple others instalation will be build on the next mounths according to the ground works (on the front of the Big Tent 3) have begun. So multiple change will happen next week on the site. My guess is they want more building to build SH/SS next serial number prototype because they haven't enought places now.
Space will be ours soon.

Offline Skyrunner

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #59 on: 06/05/2020 10:38 am »
From pixelcounting the new goodies Mary has found I get a length of 80ft for the girder.

Nomadd estimated the concrete pad for the Ground fab building was 95ft wide. To me it seems reasonable that the inner dimension is 15ft less than the pad the building is on (haven't pixel counted that).
So, could this crane be for that building?
Morning delivery.
Working on the test stand.
A view from out back.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography