Poll

Of the private lots remaining in the Starship Assembly Area, which will be the last or within the last group to sell to SpaceX?

3 (7.1%)
1 (2.4%)
0 (0%)
1 (2.4%)
2 (4.8%)
7 (16.7%)
2 (4.8%)
4 (9.5%)
3 (7.1%)
2 (4.8%)
4 (9.5%)
3 (7.1%)
3 (7.1%)
1 (2.4%)
0 (0%)
6 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: 06/29/2020 07:31 pm

Author Topic: SpaceX Boca Chica Property Acquisition  (Read 844104 times)

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3627
  • Likes Given: 1949
SpaceX Boca Chica Property Acquisition
« on: 09/23/2019 04:58 pm »
How about we use this topic to explore the specific topics related to SpaceX intent to acquire the properties at Boca Chica Village?

Anchor Topic from:  SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 9
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47001.msg1993541#msg1993541

Buyout Offer:  https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6418786-Spacex-Boca-Chica-Village-Texas-Buyout-Offer.html
« Last Edit: 09/25/2019 05:33 pm by gongora »

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: SpaceX Boca Chica Property Acquisition
« Reply #1 on: 09/23/2019 08:25 pm »

Offline SteveU

• New England
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 2389
« Reply #2 on: 09/23/2019 08:40 pm »
Just to add - it would be a PR nightmare if SpaceX decided that eminent domain was necessary
"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without." - Confucius

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 1188
  • Likes Given: 2684
« Reply #3 on: 09/23/2019 10:01 pm »
How do the beach closures figure into this? If SpaceX gets the all Boca Chica residents to play ball they'll still need the beach closed a lot.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3578
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #4 on: 09/24/2019 12:13 am »
Can someone bring me up to speed on why they are building where they are, instead of a few miles south?  Is it just to avoid having to build a road?
« Last Edit: 09/24/2019 12:16 am by Lee Jay »

Offline SteveU

• New England
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 2389
« Reply #5 on: 09/24/2019 12:16 am »
Can someone bring me up to speed on why they are building where they are, instead of a few miles south?

Because a few miles south is in Mexico... ???
"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without." - Confucius

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
« Reply #6 on: 09/24/2019 12:32 am »
Can someone bring me up to speed on why they are building where they are, instead of a few miles south?

In fairness, he's got 3 miles to work with.

The answer I suspect is that Texas owned the property they are working on now and the Federal Government owns the southern property and would've been less amenable (plus the environmental issues).

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
« Reply #7 on: 09/24/2019 12:55 am »
OK.  Got a few simple, fun answers in for the brief digression Off Topic.

Trying to tie it in a bit, I suspect it wouldn't remove the need to impact Boca Chica and Eminent Domain would still be in play.  But let's leave it at that.  Reading the beginning of Chris' new Discussions/Update threads, I forget how much I fail to live up to the guidance there.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 09/24/2019 01:58 am »

The answer I suspect is that Texas owned the property they are working on now and the Federal Government owns the southern property and would've been less amenable (plus the environmental issues).

Thanks.

I was just trying to find a way to get the launch site 3 miles from the village, which is the same distance 39a is to the press site at KSC.

Offline Wudizzle

• Liked: 328
  • Likes Given: 330
« Reply #9 on: 09/24/2019 03:47 am »
When the state widened the road in front of my house, my next door neighbor was upset with the low estimate he received. The state also needed to tear down his house and of course he wasn't happy about that either. He sued and years later won the case and got a better price, but the government still seized his land and tore down his house right on schedule.

SpaceX needs to give Boca Chica residents a premium price or face some very bad press. Enough money so people can afford to move to another beach if they want. It will be cheaper than paying a PR company to fix SpaceX's public image.

Do they need a positive public image? Or can they wait til they land people on a celestial body and let that fix their image? It's not like Joe Public is that interested in space, or able to buy their product.

Which is not to say I'm a fan of eminent domain. Just pondering a different approach.

Offline Nomadd

• Seoul
  • Liked: 60391
  • Likes Given: 1295
« Reply #10 on: 09/24/2019 04:04 am »
 I'll take care of everything when I get back tomorrow.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #11 on: 09/24/2019 04:04 am »
When the state widened the road in front of my house, my next door neighbor was upset with the low estimate he received. The state also needed to tear down his house and of course he wasn't happy about that either. He sued and years later won the case and got a better price, but the government still seized his land and tore down his house right on schedule.

SpaceX needs to give Boca Chica residents a premium price or face some very bad press. Enough money so people can afford to move to another beach if they want. It will be cheaper than paying a PR company to fix SpaceX's public image.

Do they need a positive public image? Or can they wait til they land people on a celestial body and let that fix their image? It's not like Joe Public is that interested in space, or able to buy their product.

Which is not to say I'm a fan of eminent domain. Just pondering a different approach.

Maybe it's not a big deal for SpaceX, but the press will be sure to mention Elon Musk and his other companies such as Tesla.

Offline Barley

• Liked: 669
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #12 on: 09/24/2019 04:16 am »

Thanks.

I was just trying to find a way to get the launch site 3 miles from the village, which is the same distance 39a is to the press site at KSC.
The complexity of International law and international relations make using eminent domain look like child's play.  IMHO Boca Chica is already far too close to the border and this will cause problems if they continue to operate for decades.  Putting the pad within throwing distance of the border will cause more problems sooner.

If you're looking at a map of the US where the Texas peninsula is between the Gulf of Mexico to the East and the Sea of Mexico to the west, you need a more complete map.

Offline Nomadd

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: 09/24/2019 04:30 am »
 I thought Mexico might be a problem from the present launch site, but it looks like the Booster won't even be as loud as an FH would have been. There's no way they'd launch much closer, where the Mexican government could shut them down anytime by withdrawing from the needed agreement.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10170
  • Likes Given: 11898
« Reply #14 on: 09/24/2019 04:57 am »
Don't know if this has been pointed out, but Zillow shows the value of the homes in that neighborhood as ranging from $72-131K, with a couple of other properties that range much higher than that.

Taking a look at close by options, on South Padre Island there are homes that are 3 bed, 2 bath, 1,456 sqft single family dwellings that are estimated to be about $300K. Smaller homes too that would be in the low $200K range.

My reaction to the SpaceX offer when I heard it was that 3X the current value was too low for the ability to buy a comparable property within the Boca Chica region. If they would have offered 5X I would have thought that would have been generous.

Plus, and there is no way around this, telling people they have to leave their home because a big company wants it is, to say the least, problematical. My hope is that the owners and SpaceX come to an equitable agreement... but I'm thinking this will drag out for a while...  :P
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9157
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #15 on: 09/24/2019 09:03 am »
An SPI property would not be directly comparable to a BC property of equivalent size. SPI is a relatively densely populated resort town, whereas BC was chosen due to it's isolation, distance from built up areas, and coast access and proximity. As the old saying goes the value of BC property is determined by three factors: location, location, location.

Offline M.E.T.

• Liked: 2896
  • Likes Given: 504
« Reply #16 on: 09/24/2019 10:04 am »
I suspect the quiet location will not be so quiet much longer, for those who choose to stay next to an operational rocket launch facility operating at a high launch cadence.

So the peace and tranquility argument might lose some of its validity soon.

Offline Nomadd

• Seoul
« Reply #17 on: 09/24/2019 02:35 pm »
I suspect the quiet location will not be so quiet much longer, for those who choose to stay next to an operational rocket launch facility operating at a high launch cadence.

I think a few seconds of loud noise every week isn't going to be too painful.

Online SDSmith

• Danny Smith
  • Sugar Hill
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 431
« Reply #18 on: 09/24/2019 02:38 pm »

How is the current noise level with all of the construction going on? How much of a change from last June?

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 09/24/2019 04:08 pm »

There are some people who would consider living 2 miles from this launch site to be a MAJOR selling point.  I wonder where we could find some people like that.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography