Author Topic: SpaceX Cape 39A Starship launch/landing facilities  (Read 388858 times)

Online scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1684
  • Likes Given: 1575
Re: SpaceX Cape 39A Starship launch/landing facilities
« Reply #780 on: 10/15/2023 10:05 pm »
Will spacex need an environmental license to launch Starship on pad 39A? Or does she already have it?

They already have it, but it's several years old and was based on an older Starship iteration and didn't take into account things like SH landing back at the launch pad. So maybe there will have to be some kind of delta review before they actually get a launch license.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14001
  • Likes Given: 1391
« Reply #781 on: 11/20/2023 01:33 pm »
So - the OLM worked well.

Is that the trigger for continuing Starship work at 39-A?  What is their next infrastructure priority?
« Last Edit: 11/20/2023 01:34 pm by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline EL_DIABLO

• Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #782 on: 11/20/2023 02:22 pm »

Is that the trigger for continuing Starship work at 39-A?  What is their next infrastructure priority?

One would think so, they also have a largely completed launch table inside Hangar M?

Online Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #783 on: 11/20/2023 03:29 pm »

One would think so, they also have a largely completed launch table inside Hangar M?

I don’t think “largely completed” is really the best adjective here. The table itself may be structurally assembled, but it undoubtedly lacks much of the detailed plumbing let alone all of the stuff added to the Boca Chica prototype along the way: FIREX, the finely-tuned outer-engine QD mechanisms and plumbing; the main Booster QD mechanism and plumbing …
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1543
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #784 on: 11/20/2023 04:14 pm »
Also, it's possible that the water deluge piping that they've installed there will not be adequate, based on what they learned at BC.  They might have to tear up the center and install a perforated plate for water there.  Right now, I think that it's just a ring of tubes pointed up at the center of where the mount will be.

« Reply #785 on: 11/20/2023 04:40 pm »
Also, it's possible that the water deluge piping that they've installed there will not be adequate, based on what they learned at BC.  They might have to tear up the center and install a perforated plate for water there.  Right now, I think that it's just a ring of tubes pointed up at the center of where the mount will be.

Pic from some satellite (idk)

While it looks very different then the one at Boca, this distribution system would probably feed water into the edges of a similar steel plate which then performs the same function as the one at starbase. Just depends on if it provides the same or better flow rate and can work with a plate design that they probably are currently building. Would make more sense to install the plate before the OLM but they obviously dont have to (see starbase).

Edit: At the same time I have no idea what structural pilings exist underneath the launch mount spot. They may rip everything up whether or not that system would have worked just to make the land just as rienforced as Boca. Not sure what was done by SpaceX, or how good the existing 39A perimeter foundations are.
« Last Edit: 11/20/2023 04:44 pm by spacenuance »

Offline alugobi

« Reply #786 on: 11/20/2023 07:06 pm »
A few things about that:

I think that the center is already poured and set, so they'll have to remove that to put in a plate.  Those nozzle pipes are sprayers, not feed lines.  Last, that whole thing is sunk in concrete, so doing any plumbing connection now is going to require a lot of refit. 

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80391
  • Likes Given: 36376
« Reply #787 on: 11/27/2023 05:30 am »
https://twitter.com/kylecushway/status/1728911494941962601

Here is the latest from the Starship launch tower in Florida at pad 39A - 26NOV23. @NASASpaceflight @SciGuySpace @Erdayastronaut @SpaceX @Ringwatchers

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 887
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #788 on: 11/30/2023 08:46 pm »
I'm surprised the latest NSF flyover video hasn't made an appearance on this thread yet.

Edit: If it is that controversial, then I'll drop it.  Also, there wasn't much talk about 39A in the video.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2023 11:37 pm by StuffOfInterest »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8150
  • Likes Given: 7439
« Reply #789 on: 11/30/2023 08:57 pm »
I'm surprised the latest NSF flyover video hasn't made an appearance on this thread yet.

NSF produced videos has it's own thread so it doesn't need to get reposted in other threads, and there are many that this video covers.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2023 08:58 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline alugobi

« Reply #790 on: 11/30/2023 10:00 pm »

NSF produced videos has it's own thread so it doesn't need to get reposted in other threads, and there are many that this video covers.
That's never been an impediment before.  Same thing in three or four threads.  A regular occurrence. 

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8150
  • Likes Given: 7439
« Reply #791 on: 11/30/2023 10:32 pm »

That's never been an impediment before.  Same thing in three or four threads.  A regular occurrence. 

I did that before, multi-posting but I always get my hand slapped for doing that.  So I stop.

How come I'm always responding to your post.  ;)
« Last Edit: 11/30/2023 10:33 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9165
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #792 on: 12/01/2023 10:07 am »
Re-posting links with timestamps for stuff relevant to the thread: not just OK but encouraged.
Re-posting just to drop the same link in as many threads as possible: not so much.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography