Author Topic: New SpaceX Operations Complex at the Cape (Roberts Rd.)  (Read 276968 times)

Offline JayWee

• Liked: 979
  • Likes Given: 1790
Re: New SpaceX Operations Complex at the Cape (Roberts Rd.)
« Reply #440 on: 02/02/2023 04:57 pm »
I wonder - if it was second SS/SH production, there wouldn't be the need for secrecy. Could it be something related to HLS/crewed ship?

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9111
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #441 on: 02/02/2023 05:59 pm »
I wonder - if it was second SS/SH production, there wouldn't be the need for secrecy. Could it be something related to HLS/crewed ship?
The 'secrecy' is the normal ITAR controls for rocketry, combined with the normal propriety of a private corporation.

Online Ben Baley

• Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 305
« Reply #442 on: 02/03/2023 09:59 pm »
I was just thinking how unusual it is for a launch vehicle/spacecraft to have two factories, before it is even flying no less. Have this ever happened before? I can't think of any in recent history, not sure if Soviet did something like this when they were pumping out Soyuz like sausages back in the day, but certainly not in modern era I don't think.

If SpaceX keeps both factories running at full speed, it would be a powerful statement for their Mars ambition, it seems few people has realized this yet.
BC can produce 12 units a year (e.g., 6 SH and 6 SS). That's enough to support the flight rate for the first three years at least. The fastest ramp-up in modern orbital LV history was F9, and it took four years to achieve its first ten launches. There is no need to activate the Roberts Road factory any time soon if they can solve the BC-to-KSC transportation problem. Better to wait until they refine the production process at BC so they can tweak the Roberts Road factory design as needed.

I don't really see how that's in question. According to a tweet from Elon they will be transported vertically like Falcon boosters on the landing barges, SS/SH aren't all that large compared to other items regularly moved by ship and are well within the weight limits of even a relatively small barge. SpaceX regularly transports boosters and ships on SPMTs between the production and launch sites in Boca Chica, and a new access road to the Brownsville port that has no overhead obstructions has been built. If they can attach them to a platform firmly enough to perform static fires and transport them via SPMT loading it onto a ship and properly securing it shouldn't be that hard.

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4156
  • Likes Given: 1672
« Reply #443 on: 02/03/2023 10:14 pm »
I was just thinking how unusual it is for a launch vehicle/spacecraft to have two factories, before it is even flying no less. Have this ever happened before? I can't think of any in recent history, not sure if Soviet did something like this when they were pumping out Soyuz like sausages back in the day, but certainly not in modern era I don't think.

If SpaceX keeps both factories running at full speed, it would be a powerful statement for their Mars ambition, it seems few people has realized this yet.
BC can produce 12 units a year (e.g., 6 SH and 6 SS). That's enough to support the flight rate for the first three years at least. The fastest ramp-up in modern orbital LV history was F9, and it took four years to achieve its first ten launches. There is no need to activate the Roberts Road factory any time soon if they can solve the BC-to-KSC transportation problem. Better to wait until they refine the production process at BC so they can tweak the Roberts Road factory design as needed.

I don't really see how that's in question. According to a tweet from Elon they will be transported vertically like Falcon boosters on the landing barges, SS/SH aren't all that large compared to other items regularly moved by ship and are well within the weight limits of even a relatively small barge. SpaceX regularly transports boosters and ships on SPMTs between the production and launch sites in Boca Chica, and a new access road to the Brownsville port that has no overhead obstructions has been built. If they can attach them to a platform firmly enough to perform static fires and transport them via SPMT loading it onto a ship and properly securing it shouldn't be that hard.
The problem (probably a non-problem) is that a barge with a vertical SH or SS cannot get from Port Canaveral to the turning basin at KSC, because of overhead power lines. This means that they must use SPMTs all the way from the port, and some folks commented on an earlier thread that this would be a challenge. One possibility is that they can do it a few times but not  as a monthly thing because of the disruption.

Online Ben Baley

• Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 305
« Reply #444 on: 02/05/2023 06:27 pm »

The problem (probably a non-problem) is that a barge with a vertical SH or SS cannot get from Port Canaveral to the turning basin at KSC, because of overhead power lines. This means that they must use SPMTs all the way from the port, and some folks commented on an earlier thread that this would be a challenge. One possibility is that they can do it a few times but not  as a monthly thing because of the disruption.

I see I didn't realize that, just from looking at satellite imagery it looks like they could have a pretty clear run if they were allowed to transit cape Canaveral, that would be less disruptive but I don't know if it would be allowed.

Offline Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5821
  • Likes Given: 942
« Reply #445 on: 02/05/2023 06:54 pm »
If plans haven't changed the transport should occur horizontally with unload at Turning Basin. That was the plan not long ago.

Online testguy

• Clifton, Virginia
  • Liked: 625
  • Likes Given: 597
« Reply #446 on: 02/05/2023 08:44 pm »
Every time I see a new post on this thread I quickly open it and hope to see recent progress at Roberts Rd. We have been privileged to see terrific overhead photos in the past by contributors to this site. It has been a while since the last photo posts. I would believe there has been significant progress since then.  If anyone would get up in the air, please know the  photos were and would be greatly appreciated.

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9111
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #447 on: 02/06/2023 09:32 am »
Every time I see a new post on this thread I quickly open it and hope to see recent progress at Roberts Rd. We have been privileged to see terrific overhead photos in the past by contributors to this site. It has been a while since the last photo posts. I would believe there has been significant progress since then.  If anyone would get up in the air, please know the  photos were and would be greatly appreciated.
Most recent flyover was only 12 days ago:

There may be internal progress at Roberts Road, but externally there is not much change beyond the absence of the chopstick hardware already seen mounted at LC-39A.

Offline EL_DIABLO

• Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #448 on: 02/06/2023 10:18 am »
If plans haven't changed the transport should occur horizontally with unload at Turning Basin. That was the plan not long ago.

Source?

Seems like work has slowed down a bit over there as of late in favor of BC again.
« Last Edit: 02/06/2023 10:20 am by EL_DIABLO »

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80124
  • Likes Given: 36283
« Reply #449 on: 02/09/2023 01:00 pm »
https://twitter.com/gregscott_photo/status/1623680503013408769

New construction at #SpaceX's Roberts Rd, 39B & #BlueOrigin on Tue's flyover. Chopsticks & track are being built while other items are being installed on #NASA 39A, #Relativity is on the pad & the flare stack is lit. Blue's VIF is framed in. #ULA Delta Heavy is visible @ LC37 1/2

Offline Zond

• Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #450 on: 02/11/2023 06:53 pm »
This little exchange in the above twitter thread (twitter.com/BusKsc/status/1588576274863517696) was interesting.
Does anybody know why they haven't started yet with the construction of the megabay? Is it indeed an issue with their permit?

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #452 on: 07/22/2023 06:53 am »
https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1682643824324014080

I am so so glad that we can finally put to rest the theory that the Starship tower sections at Roberts Road are for the SLC-40 crew tower.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7892
  • Likes Given: 7355
« Reply #453 on: 07/22/2023 07:46 am »
https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1682643824324014080

I am so so glad that we can finally put to rest the theory that the Starship tower sections at Roberts Road are for the SLC-40 crew tower.

Is he thinking that the tower segments that were completed months ago are the towers for SLC-40?  The SLC-40 tower was just created over the past few weeks.  The flyover pictures in L2 of the same work area on 6/20 were vacant.
« Last Edit: 07/22/2023 07:52 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline pyromatter

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 3422
  • Likes Given: 19

Offline pilotError

• Long Island
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #455 on: 07/22/2023 10:33 am »

Is he thinking that the tower segments that were completed months ago are the towers for SLC-40?  The SLC-40 tower was just created over the past few weeks.  The flyover pictures in L2 of the same work area on 6/20 were vacant.

He's referring to all the early speculation of the tower being built with no pad to put it on.  A lot of folks thought this would be a dual purpose tower for the SLC-40 crew tower that could be converted later into a Superheavy launch site. 
« Last Edit: 07/22/2023 10:36 am by pilotError »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7892
  • Likes Given: 7355
« Reply #456 on: 07/22/2023 11:09 am »

He's referring to all the early speculation of the tower being built with no pad to put it on.  A lot of folks thought this would be a dual purpose tower for the SLC-40 crew tower that could be converted later into a Superheavy launch site. 

So that brings up another question, if the OLM and water deluge system at Boca Chica is successful, would it be possible to construct another OLM at SLC-40 on the same property as the existing pad and utilize the Meagzilla Tower that is ready to be stacked from Roberts Rd?   The endgame is that both 39a and LC-40 would have duplicate launch capabilities. Two Starship launchpads and two Falcon launchpads with Crew Access.
« Last Edit: 07/22/2023 11:12 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Rocket Rancher

• Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #457 on: 07/22/2023 11:56 am »
Vehicle too large and too close to other active pads.

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1537
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #458 on: 07/22/2023 03:55 pm »
They might already have concluded, based on what they learned in BC, that they have to redo the base under the OLM legs at the Cape.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #459 on: 07/25/2023 06:04 pm »
https://twitter.com/stephenclark1/status/1683897865284853760

A couple bits of info from the Crew-7 preview news conference:

SpaceX has begun using a new launch control center at the company's Hangar X facility at KSC for Starlink missions.

It'll be used to control the Falcon Heavy/Jupiter 3 launch Wednesday night, then again for Crew-7.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography