Author Topic: SpaceX 'Octagrabber' (Rocket Grabbing Robot) - Updates and Discussion  (Read 325877 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80124
  • Likes Given: 36283
https://twitter.com/kyle_m_photo/status/1416525910585577474

ASOG's octagrabber looking new and pristine compared to JRTI's well worn octagrabber.  #SpaceXFleet #SpaceX
kylemphoto.com/Galleries/Heli…

https://twitter.com/kyle_m_photo/status/1416541103159926785

A close up of ASOG's octagrabber #SpaceXFleet #SpaceX

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9111
  • Likes Given: 38
Startlingly few (external) changes: A couple of port holes now have rubber grommets, some grip tape has been added to a couple of sloped areas at the corners, and two attachment points have had mounting boxes added. Plus it has received some googly eyes and a moustache.
4 years after debut and many recoveries later, the designers and engineers on Octagrabber clearly hit it right out of the park on the first try!

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
I seem to recall a lot of iterations on the octagrabber in the early days, including one that caught fire.  So I'd say rather that octagrabber's design has matured to the point that only small changes were made.

Any eyes in Florida on JRTI and her octograbber?  Hope they’re back in service soon.  Another RTLS in CSG-2 means they can potentially sit out for about a month

Offline Just Jake

• Space Coast, Florida
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 3
We can see the 4 camera gimbals center of each side. Has anyone spotted any other cameras? Working assumption is that the grabber arms are positioned using whatever vision systems are available.

https://twitter.com/kyle_m_photo/status/1416525910585577474

ASOG's octagrabber looking new and pristine compared to JRTI's well worn octagrabber.  #SpaceXFleet #SpaceX

https://twitter.com/kyle_m_photo/status/1416541103159926785

A close up of ASOG's octagrabber #SpaceXFleet #SpaceX

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 864
  • Likes Given: 547
We can see the 4 camera gimbals center of each side. Has anyone spotted any other cameras? Working assumption is that the grabber arms are positioned using whatever vision systems are available.

They're not just any cameras.. they're Teledyne FLIR gyro-stabilised thermal imaging cameras which, connected into a machine vision system (either Teledyne's or their own), can image the booster tail and legs in 3D and track the progress and latching of the grabber arms even if the booster isn't fully upright, it's dark and the ASDS is rolling like a drunken sailor.   The little white boxes on either side of the cameras and in the upper corners of the grabber are LED light sources to light up each side of the booster legs and the booster tail for the cameras to see.

https://www.flir.com.au/browse/marine/fixed-mount-thermal-cameras/
« Last Edit: 04/07/2022 12:28 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spaceoffshore/status/1646249469174861825

The Octagrabber robot aboard Just Read the Instructions wasn't used during the last mission. Instead, the Falcon 9 was chained to the deck for transit.

The robot seems to be the focus of attention for SpaceX workers at Port Canaveral today.

nsf.live/spacecoast

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/jerrypikephoto/status/1655652249224241166

Octograbber on the deck of JRTI with an access panel open

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1063
  • Likes Given: 32
With the recent booster tipover

https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1739679188670427188/photo/4

while SpaceX says it was a self leveling leg issue (it didn't have them, but later booster do have them), wouldn't this be also classified as an octagrabber failure since it didn't sufficiently constrain the booster, compared to when SpaceX in the past just temporarily welded the leg feet to the deck?

Offline DistantTemple

• England
  • Liked: 1693
  • Likes Given: 2808
Somewhere today I read (maybe a SX post) that part of the octograbber broke ... and this was part of the fall process.
Assuming the octograbber was not expected to break, there would be no need to resort to welding the legs to the deck.
By the time conditions were bad enough to maybe wish it was welded down, it would be unsafe to transfer crew or work on the open deck, with a possibly wobbly F9 threatening to break free above. Lost booster is minor compared with crushed crew!
This is the first loss in ages. The status quo was proving sufficiently safe ... until the 26th!
« Last Edit: 12/27/2023 12:46 am by DistantTemple »
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spaceoffshore/status/1740458974758257119

The damaged Octagrabber robot from Just Read the Instructions is lifted off the droneship to be taken away for repair 💔

nsf.live/spacecoast

Offline nicp

• Retired software engineer.
  • UK
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 1300
At the risk of not being an update, are there specs on the OG? WxLxH, mass?
« Last Edit: 12/28/2023 08:55 pm by nicp »
For Vectron!

Offline Novelty42069

• Cape Canaveral
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 27
Significantly heavier than an M1 Abrahms tank

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1698
  • Likes Given: 6849
Significantly heavier than an M1 Abrams tank
So significantly more than 70'ish tons. Abrams/Leopard-2 mass about the same. US/NATO fields some "heavy" stuff.
Paul

Offline Herb Schaltegger

So significantly more than 70'ish tons. Abrams/Leopard-2 mass about the same. US/NATO fields some "heavy" stuff.

I find that difficult to believe. Is it filled with tungsten slugs? Octograbber doesn’t need to be nearly that heavy to provide support and stability.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1698
  • Likes Given: 6849

I find that difficult to believe. Is it filled with tungsten slugs? Octograbber doesn’t need to be nearly that heavy to provide support and stability.
It gets worse.  I just asked a search engine "How much does octagrabber weigh?"
and this is what it spat out 120 tonnes
""""""
120,000 kg
If we model the Octagrabber as a 10cm thick steel plate with an area of 150m^2, and a density of 7.7 tons/m^2, that
gives a mass of 120,000 kg.
""""""""
I have no idea where it got these parameters.

Edit:spelling
« Last Edit: 12/31/2023 02:59 pm by Hog »
Paul

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7892
  • Likes Given: 7355

It gets worse.  I just asked a search engine "How much does octagrabber weigh?"
and this is what it spat out 120 tonnes
""""""
120,000 kg
If we model the Octagrabber as a 10cm thick steel plate with an area of 150m^2, and a density of 7.7 tons/m^2, that
gives a mass of 120,000 kg.
""""""""
I have no idea where it got these parameters.

Edit:spelling

AI called Jarvis provided 800 Kilograms. I doubt that.

another AI (copilot) returned:
The SpaceX Octagrabber is a robot that secures the Falcon 9 boosters on the droneships after landing. The exact weight of the Octagrabber is not publicly known, but some estimates based on its size and material suggest it could be around 120,000 kg1. This is much heavier than the Falcon 9 booster, which weighs about 25,000 kg after landing23. The Octagrabber lowers the center of gravity of the booster and prevents it from tipping over during transportation.

My opinion:  AI is junk, it only gives you what it steals from other sources, only much faster.
« Last Edit: 12/31/2023 03:20 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline rsdavis9

So I had to look it up.
The dry mass of f9 is 22tonnes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_9_Full_Thrust#Rocket_specifications

So I would think you want the octagrabber at least as much as the f9 first stage.
And also there is some residual fuel.
So maybe 50t would do it?
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

So I had to look it up.

So I would think you want the octagrabber at least as much as the f9 first stage.

Why? Most of that dry mass is in the engines, which are low over the deck of the drone ship - in steady sea states without a lot of waves, the booster is plenty stable standing on its own legs alone - this forum agonized over the math on this extensively in 2015/16. I’m sure those old posts and threads exist if someone want to go search.

The Octograbber is wider than the booster and provides better deck traction than the legs alone. It only needs to provide additional stability - it doesn’t need to weigh as much as the booster to do so - it’s plenty heavy enough with steel structure, treads, motors and support arm mechanisms.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline rsdavis9

So I had to look it up.

Why? Most of that dry mass is in the engines, which are low over the deck of the drone ship - in steady sea states without a lot of waves, the booster is plenty stable standing on its own legs alone - this forum agonized over the math on this extensively in 2015/16. I’m sure those old posts and threads exist if someone want to go search.

The Octograbber is wider than the booster and provides better deck traction than the legs alone. It only needs to provide additional stability - it doesn’t need to weigh as much as the booster to do so - it’s plenty heavy enough with steel structure, treads, motors and support arm mechanisms.

Its not as wide as the booster with legs.
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography