Author Topic: SpaceX Hawthorne Facilities  (Read 84243 times)

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2372
  • Likes Given: 10133
SpaceX Hawthorne Facilities
« on: 06/24/2016 08:01 pm »
Even though Musk said some time ago that they were growing "like the borg" in Hawthorne, I was surprised to see the following thread on Reddit (in a round-about way via a link in the FH thread).

[–]spxspxspx 3 points 1 month ago
the hawthorne facility is growing also. they are getting more and more buildings on Jack Northrop. Eventually, they will take over the triumph buildings(already took over 4-5 i believe)
permalinkembed
[–]em-powerex-SpaceX 5 points 1 month ago
they took over the triumph buildings over a year ago already, but they're not being fully utilized just yet. they have PLENTY room to grow still in that location.
permalinkembedparent
[–]spxspxspx 2 points 1 month ago
not all the triumph buildings yet. Just a few.
permalinkembedparent

Here is a collation of the subsequent research that I did on the facility.  If you have any corrections or additions, I would appreciate them.  It would be nice to see some internal pictures of the Triumph facility, if you can find them.  There are many pictures on the internet of a Triumph facility making wing sections, but I am not sure that they are of Triumph's Hawthorne facility.

According to the LA County Property Assessment Information System, there are five main Triumph buildings on the corner of Jack Northrop Ave. and Prairie Ave., comprising about one million square feet of floor space (~800,000 square feet footprint) on 34 acres of land.  The main building has about 700,000 square feet of floor space (compare to SpaceX HQ building of about 500,000 square feet before recent additions).

For decades, the facility made Boeing 747 parts (as had the SpaceX HQ building before SpaceX moved in).  In the past few years, it has made fuselage sections.  However, last year, Triumph announced that it was giving up the contract because of several reductions in 747 build rates.  See Seattle Times article.  Assuming that Triumph chooses not to produce something else at the facility, SpaceX may be able to have the use of the facility in its entirety.

I wonder whether SpaceX eventually will occupy the whole block on Jack Northrop Ave. between Prairie Ave. and Crenshaw Blvd.  It is 84 acres of land, so, with the new parking garage across the street, it could be quite a sizable campus for being in the middle of a city.  It seemed unlikely that they could build a one-mile hyperloop test track along Jack Northrop Ave., but maybe they now have rights to that whole stretch.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25174
  • Likes Given: 12102
Re: SpaceX Hawthorne Facilities
« Reply #1 on: 06/25/2016 06:54 pm »
Please provide a link, not just a quote!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline mlow

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: 06/25/2016 07:16 pm »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13697
  • Likes Given: 5870
« Reply #3 on: 06/25/2016 08:39 pm »
I posted this in another thread back in March, finally went back and got an actual link for it:
Daily Breeze: Hawthorne Mayor Alex Vargas denounces city past, looks to brighter future
Space Exploration Technologies, or SpaceX, a rocket and spacecraft manufacturing and launching company that moved to Hawthorne in 2008, is growing so quickly that it bought and rented 29 buildings in the city. SpaceX also recently opened a new parking structure across from its headquarters near the Hawthorne airport on Crenshaw Boulevard.

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #4 on: 06/26/2016 09:39 pm »
I count about 30 buildings on the block on Jack Northrop Ave. between Prairie Ave. and Crenshaw Blvd.  29 rented would just about take up all of them, including the seating store.

Thanks to mlow for posting a link.  But I vaguely recall that posting links to reddit was frowned-upon by Chris.  Am I recalling incorrectly?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25174
  • Likes Given: 12102
« Reply #5 on: 06/27/2016 04:47 am »
I count about 30 buildings on the block on Jack Northrop Ave. between Prairie Ave. and Crenshaw Blvd.  29 rented would just about take up all of them, including the seating store.

Thanks to mlow for posting a link.  But I vaguely recall that posting links to reddit was frowned-upon by Chris.  Am I recalling incorrectly?
If you're quoting reddit, you might as well link to it.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7875
  • Likes Given: 7349
« Reply #6 on: 07/08/2016 02:09 am »
Expansion.....

Hawthorne-based SpaceX leases office space in Irvine

http://www.dailynews.com/business/20160707/hawthorne-based-spacex-leases-office-space-in-irvine

The company has signed a five-year lease for just under 8,000 square feet of “creative” office space in a newly renovated three-story building near Jamboree Road and Barranca Parkway in Irvine, according to the property’s manager, Wind Water Realty.

It’s unclear how many people will be working at the Irvine office or what they will be doing. But SpaceX is advertising three engineering positions for the Irvine office in its online job postings.

“They were looking for a contemporary office with easy access where their engineers can work from,” Ivana Chavarria, a Wind Water Realty marketing and public relations staffer, said in an email.

« Last Edit: 07/08/2016 07:45 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4204
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: 07/08/2016 06:50 am »
Irvine? Isn't that where they were going to house the Broadcom chip workers they headhunted? Sounds like 'CommX' is ramping up.

Link....
« Last Edit: 07/08/2016 06:52 am by docmordrid »
DM

Online Jarnis

• Liked: 827
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #8 on: 07/08/2016 06:54 am »
Irvine, CA is also a site of many large game developers (notably Blizzard Entertainment), which may be ripe ground for poaching recruiting more programmers.

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 1722
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: 07/08/2016 08:06 am »
Irvine, CA is also a site of many large game developers (notably Blizzard Entertainment), which may be ripe ground for poaching recruiting more programmers.

Irvine doesn't have a huge number of tech firms, so pickings are going to be fairly meagre. Broadcom are the biggest high tech place there by far. Cheaper than Silicon valley though!

Offline sfxtd

• Slow, but Sure User
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #10 on: 07/08/2016 08:44 am »
U.C. Irvine is a good engineering school. Perhaps this is visibility and convenience for graduates and interns ready to be assimilated.

Online Jarnis

• Liked: 827
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #11 on: 07/08/2016 09:54 am »

Irvine doesn't have a huge number of tech firms, so pickings are going to be fairly meagre. Broadcom are the biggest high tech place there by far. Cheaper than Silicon valley though!

Blizzard Entertainment Irvine, CA office = 2620 highly skilled game developers ripe for the pickings :)

Offline JamesH65

« Reply #12 on: 07/08/2016 10:41 am »

Blizzard Entertainment Irvine, CA office = 2620 highly skilled game developers ripe for the pickings :)

Game developer != embedded RF etc software engineer.

Although there would be a tiny amount of crossover, but these are VERY different industries. Sadly, the general public seems to think that all softies do the same thing.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2887
« Reply #13 on: 07/08/2016 11:10 am »

Although there would be a tiny amount of crossover, but these are VERY different industries. Sadly, the general public seems to think that all softies do the same thing.

It was Elon Musk who has said, I believe in his Seattle speech, that he finds the best software developers in the gaming industry.

Offline rpapo

« Reply #14 on: 07/08/2016 11:26 am »

It was Elon Musk who has said, I believe in his Seattle speech, that he finds the best software developers in the gaming industry.
There is a huge difference between your run-of-the-mill applications programming, and the sort of programming required for real-time, high performance applications.  Games happen to be of that sort, to a point.  But there is one HUGE difference between game programming and what is needed for rockets and cars: A mistake in a game is, at worst, a black eye or a monetary loss.  A mistake in vehicle systems programming, especially in high performance vehicles, can make the difference between life and death.

Games programming can provide you with the fundamental techniques, but not the proper discipline.
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline DanseMacabre

« Reply #15 on: 07/08/2016 11:46 am »

There is a huge difference between your run-of-the-mill applications programming, and the sort of programming required for real-time, high performance applications.  Games happen to be of that sort, to a point.  But there is one HUGE difference between game programming and what is needed for rockets and cars: A mistake in a game is, at worst, a black eye or a monetary loss.  A mistake in vehicle systems programming, especially in high performance vehicles, can make the difference between life and death.

Games programming can provide you with the fundamental techniques, but not the proper discipline.

Not necessarily the case.

In aviation we're striving to be more agile and flexible with regards to developing our high design assurance software in order to respond to pressure to be more cheaper, efficient and profitable.

The "proper discipline" of aviation is slow, expensive and cumbersome.

Honestly - external programmers who haven't worked in high Assurance projects are bringing THEIR proper discipline in, not the other way around.

Offline WBY1984

• Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #16 on: 07/08/2016 11:47 am »
Speaking as someone who has worked in the games industry (Don't do it youngsters, keep persevering with your STEM subjects!), you won't find many people, if any, who has the calibre to work in aerospace. You can discount all of the art team (where I worked), since we're generally not that academically gifted. In fact by percentage of employees, the coders don't make up a huge portion of the company, perhaps 30-40%. Most of them won't want to be poached by SpaceX, and likewise, most wouldn't be suitable.
« Last Edit: 07/08/2016 11:48 am by WBY1984 »

Offline JamesH65

« Reply #17 on: 07/08/2016 12:33 pm »

If this were the case (in this situation), then SpaceX would have 'poached'* from Blizzard, not Broadcom.

* I don't believe these guys were poached, since Broadcom were going to get rid of them anyway. I worked for Broadcom till about two years ago, that might be relevant!

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2084
  • Likes Given: 3189
« Reply #18 on: 07/08/2016 12:54 pm »
These may be "quality of life" software packages they are developing for the various Mars colony systems and not software packages for controlling rockets or satellites.  Game interfaces have the quality of being learnable by nearly everyone and having varying "difficulty" levels where the computer makes increasingly complex decisions on its own to accommodate newbie users.

A Mars colony cannot have a mission control-led architecture where decisions are made by experts on Earth and sent up to the various spacecraft. Because of both the time delay, and the increasing complexity of the colony and its systems over time, non-experts will have to make real time command decisions and be in on the decision-making loop (otherwise, just send robots).  Eventually, this work was  going to have to be done, and IMHO, we may be seeing the start of that effort.

Some possible applications where game designers have advantages over aerospace programmers that immediately jump to mind are:

1) The need for non subject matter experts to operate environmental control systems on the MCT and on the surface colony.
2) The need to operate vehicles and other remote devices by non-experts.
3) The need for training across various life support and ISRU production systems.
4) The need to collectively engage/entertain the colonists during their journey and while on the surface. 

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...
« Last Edit: 07/08/2016 05:05 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #19 on: 01/25/2017 02:51 pm »
I notice that in Google Maps, the building that is catercorner to HQ and South of the new parking garage is labeled as "SpaceX Tooling."  30,000 square feet.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/SpaceX/@33.920291,-118.3263875,18z/

Also, this morning Musk said on Twitter that construction would begin on a tunnel across from his office.  My guess is that is a pedestrian tunnel under Crenshaw from the parking garage to the HQ building.  I guess we will see.

Quote from: Twitter
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk  7 hours ago
More Exciting progress on the tunnel front. Plan to start digging in a month or so. -link-
Clay Ellis ‏@clay_ellis  7 hours ago
 @elonmusk So you were serious? Like seriously serious? -link-
@clay_ellis Yup -link-
Walter Simson ‏@_wsimson  7 hours ago
 @elonmusk where will your tunnel be? -link-
@_wsimson Starting across from my desk at SpaceX. Crenshaw and the 105 Freeway, which is 5 mins from LAX -link-
« Last Edit: 01/25/2017 02:59 pm by RedLineTrain »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography