Author Topic: ASDS OCISLY - with Thaicom-8 S1 - Return Coverage - May-June, 2016  (Read 492095 times)

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 848
Composites are generally heat intolerant as far as I know, so TPS on the interstage.

Matthew
Yeah, they tend to become de-composites... ;D

are you guys saying the legs probably have tps on them too?

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
Legs certainly have TPS.  When you see them smoking, that's TPS ablating, not composites cooking.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8667
  • Likes Given: 1369
The clear line is because of the ice that had formed on the oxygen section of the tank. Attached is a picture of the very clear ice line on an Atlas V. It isn't white so it is easier to see. Of course there is foam insulation on that tank, but it shows how defined the ice formation is.
There is no foam insulation on the Atlas 5 CCB LOX tank. 

- Ed Kyle

Offline The Roadie

• Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 2327
  • Likes Given: 98
I wouldn't have expected cork in the interstage either, but everything I've seen is consistent with cork on the interstage.
I've seen cork being applied to the interstage on a Hawthorne tour. Also the logo and American flag being painted on using rollers and a stencil, not as I expected, an adhesive sticker.
"A human being should be able to...plan an invasion..conn a ship..solve equations, analyze a new problem..program a computer, cook a tasty meal.."-RAH

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3432
  • Likes Given: 741
I wouldn't have expected cork in the interstage either, but everything I've seen is consistent with cork on the interstage.
I've seen cork being applied to the interstage on a Hawthorne tour. Also the logo and American flag being painted on using rollers and a stencil, not as I expected, an adhesive sticker.

Thanks for the confirmation. You will be quoted.  ;)

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
Doing more research into TPS systems I see that the shuttle external tank used a "TPS" that included both foam and an ablator made with silicone resins and cork (I'll refer to my thermos as my TPS cup from now on). So cork can be used as an ablative coating, though clearly the launch/reentry conditions are taking their toll on it. (http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/114022main_TPS_FS.pdf)

The Atlas V indeed does not use foam on the first stage, but rather a foam colored epoxy resin primer (or something like that). That only reinforces the point that it would appear cork is not being used on the tanks on the Falcon 9 and they are using frost as the insulator, just as Atlas V does.

So perhaps cork is easier to RR than spam so that is why they are using it where they presumably are? It would appear that the legs are not cork covered but they do seem to have an ablative coating of some kind (SPAM?).

Offline MP99

Sooner or later the components for the first F9H will start arriving...

There is no F9H.

Cheers, Martin

Offline MP99

Room for one more at the Inn! :)

SpaceX ‏@SpaceX  4m4 minutes ago
Fantastic four
It looks like, with appropriate support hardware, they have the height to stack stages two high in that building?

Assuming they don't have the height to lift a third stage over a stack of two, that would require a lot of shuffling when they move things around.

Cheers, Martin

Offline Alastor

• Liked: 306
  • Likes Given: 573
We know they didn't repaint or re-cork (then repaint) the stage, they don't have the proper equipment to do that.  That seems to invalidate the rest of your theory.

If you want to claim ablation, you need to explain what exactly SpaceX's paint spray booth in Hawthorne is used for, and why it's not needed at the Cape.

To claim ablation, I don't need any of that. I claim ablation, because you don't apply ablative TPS if there is no ablation. Claiming "no ablation" amounts to ignoring the whole net (and it is really a big net to ignore) of evidence that there IS ablative TPS (probably cork) !

The only real debate I'm trying to address is cleaning vs repainting. I'll let you read The Roadie :

You don't NEED a paint booth to apply paint. It would be awfully tedious to paint a whole stage without it, sure, but I don't claim they have repainted the whole stage either. I just claim that at least the ablated parts were replaced or repainted.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
You seem to be ignoring the differences between the area below the leg attachments, the core tanks, and the interstage.

Offline Alastor

• Liked: 306
  • Likes Given: 573
I'm not.
I was very specific about the fact that I was talking about TPS around and above the grid fins, and on the very bottom of the stage.
People just don't seem to be reading what I write ...
« Last Edit: 06/13/2016 01:05 pm by Alastor »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
I'm not.
I was very specific about the fact that I was talking about TPS around and above the grid fins, and on the very bottom of the stage.
People just don't seem to be reading what I write ...
A photo with some arrows might help! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography