Author Topic: ASDS OCISLY - with Thaicom-8 S1 - Return Coverage - May-June, 2016  (Read 492096 times)

Offline jep_miner

• Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 0
Agree. One's on the schedule (not seen a date) for a McGregor road trip, but I hope it's not yet happened. (Was thinking it was close if they used the transporter that brought in F9-0026-S1 to the Cape). Will ask.
most likely 024 then and I'd assume from the hanger pictures we're getting when a core is added elon might want the same full hanger picture but depends on if they put that goal above getting 024 back home to study.
also someone on r/spacex went on the KSC bus tour a day or so ago and the door to 39A was open however all three cores were in there

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1885
It  is still at the dock as of Monday morning.
It IS dark and gray today, but not as dark as my old camera makes it look.
 :)

I tweaked your photo a bit (hope you don't mind)

That looks much better. thank you!

Offline atsf90east

• Olathe, KS USA, Earth
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 134
They have room for five cores in the HIF at 39-A, but it's going to get VERY cozy soon. My guess is the ORBCOMM booster will be shipped to Hawthorne for display first, then the JCSAT booster will leave for McGregor. 

Sooner or later the components for the first F9H will start arriving, and then SpaceX will need all of the floor space they can at 39-A.  I wonder if one of the hangars in the CCAFS Industrial area may end up leased for storage of returned cores?
Attended Launches: Space Shuttle: STS-85, STS-95, STS-96, STS-103. Falcon 9: Thaicom-8

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 1745
  • Likes Given: 10
Returned stages have gone through massive heat cycling, high G launch, massive vibrations, huge heat on reentry, a salty spray and rocky trip back on a ASDS

And people are worried where to store them? Leave them outside in the sun/rain/snow/whatever. I'm sure they won't give a damn.

Well, maybe put a tarp over them.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Returned stages have gone through massive heat cycling, high G launch, massive vibrations, huge heat on reentry, a salty spray and rocky trip back on a ASDS

And people are worried where to store them? Leave them outside in the sun/rain/snow/whatever. I'm sure they won't give a damn.

Well, maybe put a tarp over them.
Salty air is a bit of a problem at the Cape James...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1206
  • Likes Given: 599

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11867
  • Likes Given: 11110
one bootie on upside down again. :)

Edit: I mean the blue nozzle covers, not the black covers around the area higher than the nozzle where the feed lines, TVC etc are... The Other Doug, just below me is referring to the black ones I think.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 05:39 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 781
  • Likes Given: 2046
one bootie on upside down again. :)

I suspect that's somebody's personal trademark.
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
Yep -- all of the engine "booties" were burned off on this stage, too.  They seem to survive the low-heat entries just fine, but there's no trace of them on any of these engines.  And I'd have to think that a lot of melted fragments of the booties are sprayed all through the engine compartment -- not the best situation, if you want to put that stage back up on the pad and launch it again.

Unless they removed them on the dock (and I doubt that, we didn't see anything like that on earlier returned stages), I think we can see one element that needs to be redesigned, or at least reworked in terms of materials.

I'm surprised we've had two straight stages where the engines actually started up for the landing burn.  Once those booties burn through, you've got no protection of the engine gimbals and the rest of the engine compartment, at all.  Could lead to all sorts of plumbing failures, engines shutting down due to gas ingestion, all sorts of possible failure scenarios.

This is the one that's gonna have to be fixed first, I think...

(And note to a couple of posts that were made since I started this one -- you see intact booties?  I don't see any at all...)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
Blue booties with the SpaceX logo on them over the engine bells. Not the black ones that cover up the works and protect the innards from heat.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 05:44 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline JebK

• United States
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 15
(And note to a couple of posts that were made since I started this one -- you see intact booties?  I don't see any at all...)

I think those "booties" refer to the engine bell coverings

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
Are we SURE the black coverings are actually missing? Because as you say, if they actually were burned away and slagged up into the engine compartment? What a mess.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620

I think those "booties" refer to the engine bell coverings

Ah, gotcha.  I'm talking about the booties that cover the bases of the engines.  They look to be heavily quilted fabric, I'm assuming kevlar-based or somesuch.  And it truly looks like none of them survived this entry.

I'm looking forward to seeing what SpaceX does to fix this, if it's a redesign of the booties or just a materials change.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 822
I think the 'booties' referred to the engine bell covers that are fitted for transport, not the flexible skirts that are (supposed to be) permanently attached.

Edit: Ninjad!
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 06:03 pm by Kaputnik »
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline toren

• Idaho, USA
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 1184
Blue = engine cozy  ;)

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
I wonder how hot those gimbal socks get? Looks like they have a nice assortment of upgrade options to choose from assuming they're not using one of these already.

Auburn Manufacturing AMI-SIL (CAS) (AS) Cloth
AMI-SIL (AS) and (CAS) hot work fabrics are made from a minimum 96% pure amorphous silica cloth and are rated to 1800F (980C). AMI-SIL is the product of choice for use in the fabrication of removable insulation pads or insulation jackets required for components in extremely hot environments.

Newtex Performance Materials - High Temperature Glass Fabrics
Newtex manufactures a comprehensive line of innovative high temperature products that are used across industries for managing heat and protecting workers and facilities. Our performance materials have excellent fabrication and handling properties, support temperatures up to 2300F (1260C), and minimize heat transfer while resisting moisture, chemicals, stress, and abrasion.

3M Nextel Woven Ceramic Fabric
3M Nextel Ceramic Fibers 440 are an alumina-boria-silica fiber that contain mullite crystals. At 2% boria, these fibers contain less boria than Nextel Ceramic Fibers 312. These strong, continuous fibers are woven into fabrics that retain strength with little shrinkage at continuous temperatures up to 2500F (1370C).

"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3628
  • Likes Given: 1950
I'm just sayin' if I'd recovered a $30M rocket core, I might just ask one of the guys to haul that pair of tanks on the dolley on one of the trucks bring up the rear instead of right underneath it.

Offline Wolfram66

I wonder how hot those gimbal socks get? Looks like they have a nice assortment of upgrade options to choose from assuming they're not using one of these already.

Auburn Manufacturing AMI-SIL (CAS) (AS) Cloth
AMI-SIL (AS) and (CAS) hot work fabrics are made from a minimum 96% pure amorphous silica cloth and are rated to 1800F (980C). AMI-SIL is the product of choice for use in the fabrication of removable insulation pads or insulation jackets required for components in extremely hot environments.

Newtex Performance Materials - High Temperature Glass Fabrics

Newtex manufactures a comprehensive line of innovative high temperature products that are used across industries for managing heat and protecting workers and facilities. Our performance materials have excellent fabrication and handling properties, support temperatures up to 2300F (1260C), and minimize heat transfer while resisting moisture, chemicals, stress, and abrasion.

3M Nextel Woven Ceramic Fabric
3M™ Nextel™ Ceramic Fibers 440 are an alumina-boria-silica fiber that contain mullite crystals. At 2% boria, these fibers contain less boria than Nextel™ Ceramic Fibers 312. These strong, continuous fibers are woven into fabrics that retain strength with little shrinkage at continuous temperatures up to 2500F (1370C).

there are some that are Aero-Gel impregnated fabrics as well. I will have to review my notes from the last booster return.

http://www.microthermgroup.com/high/EXEN/site/adv_microthermvspyrogel.aspx

http://www.aerogel.com/products-and-solutions/pyrogel-xt-e/

http://www.industrialinsulation.com/images/ceramic_fiber_blanket_data_2014.pdf

http://www.industrialinsulation.com/images/mineral_wool_enerwrap_ma960_data_sheet.pdf

and from NASA Glenn research center http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20080006057.pdf
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 09:29 pm by Wolfram66 »

Offline OpelGT

• Minnesota, USA
  • Liked: 14
I'm just sayin' if I'd recovered a $30M rocket core, I might just ask one of the guys
to haul that pair of tanks on the dolley on one of the trucks bring up the rear instead of right underneath it.

You mean these?

from

Maybe the are used to pressurized/neutralize the fuel tanks?

Offline OpelGT

• Minnesota, USA
  • Liked: 14
Are we SURE the black coverings are actually missing? Because as you say, if they actually were burned away and slagged up into the engine compartment? What a mess.

I'd call the blue engine bell covers "Booties" and the black engine ones "Blankets"

This picture shows a good shot of the upside down blue "bootie" and the burned off thermal "blankets"

(source: USLaunchReport's transport video )

Here is a closeup of the engine thermal "blankets" (see their quilted!)
I think they start off white (this pic is after a static fire) and darken/burn with firing.

(source: cropped from Wiki pic of CRS-3)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography