Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1417547 times)

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1062
  • Likes Given: 32
I'd think offshore landing and transportation would be different platforms. Big, semi submersible oil rigs are steady as a rock in rough seas, but you wouldn't want to tow the whole thing back to port for every launch. Repositioning one for different launches wouldn't be too bad.
 They might need a big counterweight or something for craning a booster over the side.

Eh, if you had a U shaped body and a chopstick equipped tower, that would center most of the mass and you could lower it onto a waiting barge below and push off relatively quickly.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1794
  • Likes Given: 1292
I'd think offshore landing and transportation would be different platforms. Big, semi submersible oil rigs are steady as a rock in rough seas, but you wouldn't want to tow the whole thing back to port for every launch. Repositioning one for different launches wouldn't be too bad.
 They might need a big counterweight or something for craning a booster over the side.

Eh, if you had a U shaped body and a chopstick equipped tower, that would center most of the mass and you could lower it onto a waiting barge below and push off relatively quickly.
That is going to be a really large catamaran. That is going to have to find dry docks and docking facilities that can accommodated the boat's beam. SpaceX might have to build their own mobile dry docks for rocket catching catamarans.

Offline geekesq

• Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 3

That is going to be a really large catamaran. That is going to have to find dry docks and docking facilities that can accommodated the boat's beam. SpaceX might have to build their own mobile dry docks for rocket catching catamarans.
It may be cheaper and easier to just find or build an island not too far offshore, run your power and methane pipelines to it, and erect the facilities needed to make it into a starbase that can: land SH and SS, refuel and refurb them, and then launch them again.

Kind of like the Kansai International Airport (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_International_Airport) but for spaceships instead of airplanes. Just keep a barge around to ship them back to the factory if they need major rework.

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1543
  • Likes Given: 0
It may be cheaper and easier to just find or build an island not too far offshore,
Ok, find one for us.

Offline geekesq

• Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 3
It may be cheaper and easier to just find or build an island not too far offshore,
Ok, find one for us.
North Malé Atoll, Maldives.  They've built several artificial islands.  Just build one more.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada

Seriously. Building and running a spaceport in the middle of nowhere with no infrastructure, maybe on an artificial island. Is cheaper than a large ship?

It will have to be in the middle of nowhere for flight paths that is clear of air and sea traffic plus populated areas.
« Last Edit: 11/18/2023 03:25 pm by Zed_Noir »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8147
  • Likes Given: 7433

Seriously. Building and running a spaceport in the middle of nowhere with no infrastructure, maybe on an artificial island. Is cheaper than a large ship?

It will have to be in the middle of nowhere for flight paths that is clear of air and traffic plus populated areas.

Did I read incorrectly, that the next Integrated Flight Test (#3-4) will land in the Indian Ocean?
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online KilroySmith

• Phoenix, AZ, USA
  • Liked: 407
  • Likes Given: 196

Hmm, is the navy scrapping any aircraft carriers in the near future?

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada

Retired Aircraft Carriers ain't really that suitable for conversions to something else.

However there are many surplus VLCC (aka supertanker) available for conversion to floating landing platform of some sort.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14001
  • Likes Given: 1391

Retired Aircraft Carriers ain't really that suitable for conversions to something else.

However there are many surplus VLCC (aka supertanker) available for conversion to floating landing platform of some sort.
If it's just for landing, a pure catching tower with no platform rising straight out if the water - that would be something.

Catch, wait for the barge, set it down....

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

(Please let me know if this belongs somewhere else)

Crosby Skipper departed PC on Dec 10 @ ~7:30am ET (Marine Traffic jumped tracking…)

Crosby Skipper entered Port of Jacksonville on Dec 10 @ 8:18pm ET

[zubenelgenubi: Merged with existing thread.]
« Last Edit: 12/14/2023 07:46 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2384
  • Likes Given: 10156
If this Starship launch goes well, then chances they build another ASDS are way not good.  If it doesn't go well, then only a little not good.
I think they may build ASDSes that can serve for Starship landings as well.

They will need to be able to barge Starships as well, at least in the short term.

Here is the tug tracking map, appears the booster may have fallen just south of the cape on its way back from the landing zone in the Bahamas.  The tug is still out there looking.  "Leave no Booster Behind"

Source:  MarineTraffic

Update screen grabs of the tug's plot.  The landing barge was disconnected for a while to give the tug freedom to move, it's now back in front of the barge headed for Port Canaveral.

The plot of the Marmac 303 is in the second picture
Ocisly 0.75-1 (B1055) kills ASOG 0 kills JRTI 1.25-1.5 kills (B1069,B1058)

🤬JRTI🤬
/cross post
« Last Edit: 12/26/2023 09:51 am by Chinakpradhan »

Online catdlr

Will this incident on JRTI delay landings on this ship until a new/repaired OG is completed?  or is there a spare OG available?

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=46338.msg2552835#msg2552835
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3085
  • Likes Given: 3818
Will this incident on JRTI delay landings on this ship until a new/repaired OG is completed?  or is there a spare OG available?

ASOG not JRTI

I asked the same question in the manifest discussion thread.  I am unaware of an extra OG.
« Last Edit: 12/26/2023 04:03 pm by wannamoonbase »
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Online catdlr

ASOG not JRTI

ASOG just left to support Starlink group 6-36 : CCSFS SLC-40 : NET 28/29 Dec 2023 this morning (3 hours ago).

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=60024.msg2552814#msg2552814
« Last Edit: 12/26/2023 04:08 pm by catdlr »

Offline Bob Niland

• Kansas
    • For Those Still On Earth
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 21
And will this increase the likelihood of RTLS vs. ASDS missions (where that can be achieved by reducing Starlink cargo)?

The incident is now a possible new data point in the cost column for ASDS, as are any refinements in weather no-go criteria for future ASDS (and delay is itself a cost).

On the other hand, if all the engines are recoverable, just what fraction of the overall value of a 19-flight booster was lost?

This might have been a relatively trivial incident, esp. if unlikely to happen again under the same sea state, due to newer boosters being more robust.
Working for SX could be exhilarating, as long as the job description doesn't include Master PERT Chart.

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1543
They gambled on the oldest booster with non-self-leveling legs like the newer ones have, launching with a high sea state.  A newer vehicle might have weathered it without incident. 

So, it's not at all clear whether this changes their thinking on using drone ships.  I'm guessing no.

Edit:  sp
« Last Edit: 12/26/2023 04:36 pm by alugobi »

Online catdlr

And will this increase the likelihood of RTLS vs. ASDS missions (where that can be achieved by reducing Starlink cargo)?

The incident is now a possible new data point in the cost column for ASDS, as are any refinements in weather no-go criteria for future ASDS (and delay is itself a cost).

On the other hand, if all the engines are recoverable, just what fraction of the overall value of a 19-flight booster was lost?

This might have been a relatively trivial incident, esp. if unlikely to happen again under the same sea state, due to newer boosters being more robust.

Several Engine bells got deformed.

Picture source: John Kraus  twitter post: twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1739679188670427188
« Last Edit: 12/26/2023 04:40 pm by catdlr »

Online Guillerz

• Spain
  • Liked: 5
Is the octograbbler damaged? If so, this drone ship will be out of service for a while.”

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography