Author Topic: ASDS Naming Discussion Thread  (Read 58407 times)

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
Re: ASDS Naming Discussion Thread
« Reply #100 on: 06/20/2015 11:16 pm »
Last time it took them an extra day or so between painting the circles and name.  The name takes a longer time to lay out before putting the paint down, I guess.

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #101 on: 06/20/2015 11:26 pm »
Last time it took them an extra day or so between painting the circles and name.  The name takes a longer time to lay out before putting the paint down, I guess.

The circles and X logo were on JRtI from the beginning (first released pic, anyway) but the name wasn't painted on until sometime between the last pre-Dscover cruise cam viewing and the sortie for that stormy mission. (the first confirmed sighting of the name being actually on the deck, rather than a likely photoshop, is in the storm-damage vids taken from the deck of JRtI)

I'm not sure how they put the paint down. In my experience, painters use masking, but my experience is a bit out of date, plus not necessarily applicable to painting ships.

Perhaps, for the name, they use a stencil? If so, I think you're right; they'd at least wait until the other paint was dry.

Hrmmm... they've had to repaint after landing attempts before, so maybe they still have the stencil?

Offline cscott

« Reply #102 on: 06/21/2015 12:43 am »
I hope they make a new stencil!

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14188
  • Likes Given: 1397
« Reply #103 on: 06/21/2015 02:21 am »
Or just call it the Can' t Kern
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline CJ

« Reply #104 on: 06/21/2015 02:40 am »

There may be a perfectly good technical explanation for the lack of kerning on JRtI V 1.0. It's a known fact that OCR (Optical character recognition) software, especially older ones on slow computers, sometimes has issues with kerned text. It's thus IMHO possible that, seeing as how busy the F9's flight computer is with things like landing, they wanted to make the text easier for it to read. (It'd be a problematic time for it to be asking "Just read the ... what?")   
 :P

My other guess is they may have used single-letter stencils, and just laid them out with all the corners touching. Thus, no kerning.

However... IMHO, if JRtI V 1.1 comes parading back into JAX with an intact, upright F9 on deck, I doubt anyone, even in this thread, will be complaining too much about the font. :)

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #105 on: 06/21/2015 04:35 am »

My other guess is they may have used single-letter stencils, and just laid them out with all the corners touching. Thus, no kerning.

However... IMHO, if JRtI V 1.1 comes parading back into JAX with an intact, upright F9 on deck, I doubt anyone, even in this thread, will be complaining too much about the font. :)

That's my vote - fixed width stencils.  Should be corrected this time around, if they still go through with it.

More than anything, going through with it will teach about the severity of Elon's sense of humor.

You're right that nobody will care when the rocket comes back, but 2-3 years from now, looking at the historical records, you know, it'll just have to be explained, time and time again, the stencils, the last-minute time crunch...  it's just better for everyone if they get it right.

Offline CJ

« Reply #106 on: 06/21/2015 06:46 am »

That's my vote - fixed width stencils.  Should be corrected this time around, if they still go through with it.

More than anything, going through with it will teach about the severity of Elon's sense of humor.

You're right that nobody will care when the rocket comes back, but 2-3 years from now, looking at the historical records, you know, it'll just have to be explained, time and time again, the stencils, the last-minute time crunch...  it's just better for everyone if they get it right.

Hrmmm... I recall a photoshopped pic of the name on the ship that was released by SpaceX (the original was one of the hexicopter shots from above). What if SpaceX just handed that, plus a few instructions, to them and said "do this!"? That pic, though, had kerned text... (I'll attach it).

Perhaps the painters just forgot to read the instructions?

Offline cscott

« Reply #107 on: 06/21/2015 08:20 am »
It would be a lot cleaner if they just followed the top or bottom edge of the boat and laid out the text in a straight line, instead of trying to wrap it around the landing circle.

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #108 on: 06/24/2015 10:57 pm »
Well, our perceptions of ASDS names just got overturned like, well, a capsizing barge. It's been revealed that the new barge on the east coast is named Of Course I Still Love You, currently waiting for Sunday's launch, leaving the name of the one heading west a bit of a mystery...

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #109 on: 06/24/2015 11:28 pm »
They did it on purpose.

I mean, that's going to be the name of the next barge.

Offline cscott

« Reply #110 on: 06/25/2015 12:46 am »
I'm not *too* surprised.  There are so many good culture ship names, it would be a shame to miss an opportunity to use another one.

Offline starsilk

• Denver
  • Liked: 268
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #111 on: 06/25/2015 03:18 am »
Perhaps just going for the entertainment value of TV news people reading 'of course I still love you' all over the US (and elsewhere)...

Online Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #112 on: 06/25/2015 05:39 am »
Well, our perceptions of ASDS names just got overturned like, well, a capsizing barge. It's been revealed that the new barge on the east coast is named Of Course I Still Love You, currently waiting for Sunday's launch, leaving the name of the one heading west a bit of a mystery...

This. Saw the instagram pic, did a double take and.. "Well... This changes... everything!"  :P

Offline CJ

« Reply #113 on: 06/25/2015 06:56 am »
 :o :o :o :o :o

Just saw the shots SpaceX released of the ASDS in JAX. Wow! It's really looking great!

As for the name, I was stunned to see that this is Of Course I still Love You. I've been, quite wrongly as it turns out, calling this ASDS JRtI V 1.1.

I think the addition of the clover is a really great touch!

BTW, this ASDS being OCISLY doesn't actually mean that Elon's tweet about it being the West Coast ASDS wasn't spot on; SpaceX simply decided to rename it. Not the ASDS, the West Coast (which now has Georgia, the Carolinas, etc, on it).

Heh, actually, my take on that tweet about the names a few months back is that it shows a tendency (second in my interest only to their cost cutting measures) that first caused me to get really interested in SpaceX;  if they need to change plans, major or minor, they do it, no matter past statements to the contrary. I call this smart. 

So, a big "Welcome!" to ASDS OCISLY, a ship I believe will soon make history.

But, this leaves us with a greater mystery; there's an ASDS heading for Southern California that we've been assuming is OCISLY. Obviously, it isn't, because OCISLY is here. That SoCal bound ASDS has JRTI's wings, so perhaps it is JRtI.
I guess only time (and SpaceX) will tell.

But, if that ASDS isn't JRtI, then where is JRtI? Is it now just MArmac 300, retired ASDS.... or, what if the storm damage and age necessitated a rebuild of the Marmac 300, which will be used as a barge for a while until it's time, a few years from now, to make it an ASDS again (for Brownsville)?

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #114 on: 06/25/2015 07:07 am »
:o :o :o :o :o

Just saw the shots SpaceX released of the ASDS in JAX. Wow! It's really looking great!

As for the name, I was stunned to see that this is Of Course I still Love You. I've been, quite wrongly as it turns out, calling this ASDS JRtI V 1.1.

I think the addition of the clover is a really great touch!

BTW, this ASDS being OCISLY doesn't actually mean that Elon's tweet about it being the West Coast ASDS wasn't spot on; SpaceX simply decided to rename it. Not the ASDS, the West Coast (which now has Georgia, the Carolinas, etc, on it).

Heh, actually, my take on that tweet about the names a few months back is that it shows a tendency (second in my interest only to their cost cutting measures) that first caused me to get really interested in SpaceX;  if they need to change plans, major or minor, they do it, no matter past statements to the contrary. I call this smart. 

So, a big "Welcome!" to ASDS OCISLY, a ship I believe will soon make history.

But, this leaves us with a greater mystery; there's an ASDS heading for Southern California that we've been assuming is OCISLY. Obviously, it isn't, because OCISLY is here. That SoCal bound ASDS has JRTI's wings, so perhaps it is JRtI.
I guess only time (and SpaceX) will tell.

But, if that ASDS isn't JRtI, then where is JRtI? Is it now just MArmac 300, retired ASDS.... or, what if the storm damage and age necessitated a rebuild of the Marmac 300, which will be used as a barge for a while until it's time, a few years from now, to make it an ASDS again (for Brownsville)?

I think the proper way to read Elon's tweet is that they were working on readying a second ASDS, to be named OCISLY.  That one was originally planned to be sent to CA.  But, when they subsequently decided to take Marmac 300 out of service, plans changed.  So, Marmac 304 was always going to be OCISLY, it just changed from being sent out west to being stationed in Jax.  Marmac 303, which has yet to be publicly named, was then procured to be sent to CA.  It will either inherit JRtI's name or get a brand new one.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 1281
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #115 on: 06/25/2015 12:12 pm »
Well, we could still see bits of the original lettering on the wing quarters on the deck of MARMAC 303 on its transit of the Panama Canal.  Obviously, the only conclusion can be that SpaceX knows how much everyone loves the artistic design of the JRtI name's lettering.  Since enough of it is still there to paint over and restore it to its original look, they had to keep the name with the wings.

I mean, you can't expect them to make a perfect clone of such a whimsical work of art without losing something in the translation, but restoring a bit of paint? ;D

(Incidentally, has kerning and typeface ever been such a significant topic of spaceflight discussions?)

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 6204
  • Likes Given: 867
« Reply #116 on: 06/25/2015 03:31 pm »

(Incidentally, has kerning and typeface ever been such a significant topic of spaceflight discussions?)

Yes.  See this Dilbert cartoon:
http://dilbert.com/strip/2013-02-23

Offline CJ

« Reply #117 on: 06/27/2015 04:19 am »
Well, we could still see bits of the original lettering on the wing quarters on the deck of MARMAC 303 on its transit of the Panama Canal.  Obviously, the only conclusion can be that SpaceX knows how much everyone loves the artistic design of the JRtI name's lettering.  Since enough of it is still there to paint over and restore it to its original look, they had to keep the name with the wings.

I mean, you can't expect them to make a perfect clone of such a whimsical work of art without losing something in the translation, but restoring a bit of paint? ;D

The debate over the tyesetting on JRtI has always made me smile, and I've treated it as tongue in cheek, much as I do debates over the specific color tone of the cherrypickers. :) But that's just me. :)

I'm perplexed by the JRtI wing issue. It looked to me as if the deck has been sandblasted (more is gone than after the CRS-6 mission). But, you really don't want to leave it that way at sea for long, and also, the part we could see was the area most damaged by scorching, so maybe it's just as-is and I'm wrong about the sandblasting. 

So, only time will tell; is the new ASDS currently NW bound off Mexico JRtI (with a Marmac 303 hull) or some other name? My best guess is we won't know until right before Jason-3, and maybe not even than (if it's a RTLS, we might not see much of this new ASDS for a while).

I'm also of the opinion that SpaceX should christen the ASDS ships. There are varied christening ceremonies, but IMHO the only appropriate way to christen an ASDS is to land a rocket on it.  :)

Offline cscott

« Reply #118 on: 06/27/2015 12:49 pm »
I'm expecting another Instagram post from SpaceX as soon as 303 has the wings put on and its name painted, regardless of whether Jason 3 gets cleared for RTLS or not.  And my money would be that 303 gets its own unique name, and that it will also be from the culture series.
« Last Edit: 06/27/2015 03:38 pm by cscott »

Offline e of pi

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 299
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #119 on: 06/27/2015 01:22 pm »
I'm expecting another Instagram post from SpaceX as soon as 303 has the winds put on and its name painted, regardless of whether Jason 3 gets cleared for RTLS or not.  And my money would be that 303 gets its own unique name, and that it will also be from the culture series.
"Another Fine Product from the Nonsense Factory"? "Funny, It Worked Last Time"?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography