Author Topic: Japanese SLV nomenclature  (Read 4331 times)

Offline VDD1991

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 0
Japanese SLV nomenclature
« on: 11/03/2013 08:28 pm »
One aspect of the Japanese space program that startles me is the fact that three of Japan's SLVs (Mu, Epsilon, Lambda) are named after letters of the Greek alphabet. Does anyone have an idea of who suggested the name Lambda for the first Japanese space launch vehicle?

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8788
  • Likes Given: 1386
Re: Japanese SLV nomenclature
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/2013 11:53 pm »
One aspect of the Japanese space program that startles me is the fact that three of Japan's SLVs (Mu, Epsilon, Lambda) are named after letters of the Greek alphabet. Does anyone have an idea of who suggested the name Lambda for the first Japanese space launch vehicle?
From http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/e/japan_s_history/detail/kappa.shtml

"The AVSA group had originally planned to go through A (Alpha), B (Beta), K (Kappa), and (Omega) extending the scale one after another and to launch 20 kg instruments up to 100 km altitude. To join IGY, however, the group happened to have to speed up the pace of research and development. Thus the group proceeded directly to Kappa type neglecting the intermediate stages."

After Kappa came, in Greek alphabet order, Lambda and Mu, all during the ISAS era.  I'm not sure why they went back to Epsilon, but this choice occurred many years later under JAXA control.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 11/04/2013 11:55 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Fuji

• Japan
  • Liked: 234
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2013 02:53 pm »
After Kappa came, in Greek alphabet order, Lambda and Mu, all during the ISAS era.  I'm not sure why they went back to Epsilon, but this choice occurred many years later under JAXA control.

Turn the M in a counterclockwise, you can understand behind the story of E (Epsilon)  ;)

It means Epsilon is origin from Mu series, but another dimension (groundbreaking) rocket.
« Last Edit: 11/05/2013 03:00 pm by Fuji »

Offline Pipcard

• Liked: 279
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2013 02:51 am »
Epsilon being Mu turned sideways - thanks for the explanation! (also, that looks like a red McDonald's logo)

A Kappa is also a creature found in Japanese mythology.
« Last Edit: 11/07/2013 02:53 am by Pipcard »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography