SEOUL, Nov. 3 (Yonhap) -- Defense Minister Shin Won-sik said Friday that North Korea may have delayed its plan to make a third attempt to launch a spy satellite to fix technological glitches in the third-stage system with Russian assistance. North Korea made two botched attempts to put a reconnaissance satellite into orbit in May and August and vowed to try again in October, but it failed to meet its self-imposed deadline. The first attempt failed due to problems in the booster, while Pyongyang's state media blamed the second flight's failure on a flawed third-stage emergency blasting system.Shin weighed the possibility of Pyongyang's making a third attempt in late November to reflect technological guidance from Russia following the rare summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and Russian President Vladimir Putin in September. "North Korea could try again on its own even if it fails, but the launch may have been delayed as Russia provided specific technical guidance (for the satellite). We place more emphasis on the latter," Shin said during his first meeting with reporters since taking office last month."There is a possibility of (North Korea's satellite launch) in around late November. We will continue to monitor the situation," he added.In response to Pyongyang's efforts to put its first spy satellite into space, Shin vowed to boost the South Korean military's surveillance capability to fend off North Korea's advancing missile and nuclear threat.He disclosed the South Korean military's plan to launch its first indigenous reconnaissance satellite on Falcon 9, U.S. aerospace company SpaceX's two-stage rocket, from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California on Nov. 30, as well as a plan to launch a homegrown solid propellant rocket later this year.South Korea has condemned Pyongyang's satellite launch as a provocation and violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions banning its use of ballistic missile technology.
Japan on guard for possible North Korean military satellite launch9 hours agoJapan's Defense Minister Kihara Minoru has indicated that the government will gather intelligence and stay on alert to prepare for a possible launch of a North Korean military spy satellite.Kihara told reporters on Monday that North Korea expressed its intention to launch a satellite for the third time, following two failed attempts in May and August.He said there is a possibility that Pyongyang will go ahead with the launch.He also said the Defense Ministry has kept intact an order issued in May for the Self-Defense Forces to destroy any incoming missiles or other projectiles that could fall within Japanese territory.Kihara added that SDF vessels equipped with Aegis radar systems and the land-based PAC-3 interceptor systems have been ready in case that happens.South Korean Defense Minister Shin Won-sik said in an interview with public broadcaster KBS on Sunday that the launch could occur within a week or before November 30 at the latest.
Launch has apparently occurred way earlier than planned (after 13:45 UTC-ish) - Japan has once issued a seek-for-shelter alert (like the last 2 times) for Okinawa, which has now been removed after the Japanese government reported whatever was launched flew over towards the Pacific ~13:55 UTC.https://twitter.com/kyodo_english/status/1726961662991929627
TOKYO/SEOUL Nov 21 (Reuters) - North Korea conducted a rocket launch believed to be carrying a satellite on Tuesday, South Korea and Japan said, in what would be Pyongyang's third attempt to place a spy satellite in orbit this year.North Korea had earlier notified Japan it planned to send up a satellite between Wednesday and Dec. 1, after two failed attempts to launch spy satellites earlier this year.