Author Topic: SpaceX Receives USAF Operational License for Cape Canaveral Launch Site  (Read 5855 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Company Remains on Schedule to Initiate Falcon 9 Commercial Operations in Q4 2008

Cape Canaveral FL – Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) has been granted an Operational License by the US Air Force for the use of Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on the Florida coast. Receipt of the license, in conjunction with the approved Site Plan, paves the way for SpaceX to initiate Falcon 9 launch operations later this year.span>

“We are developing Falcon 9 to be a valuable asset to the American space launch fleet,” said Elon Musk, CEO and CTO of SpaceX. “The support we received from General Helms and the US Air Force has been immensely helpful in developing the pathfinder processes necessary for SpaceX to realize commercial space flights from the Cape.”

“Our developments at Complex 40 continue with great speed,” added Brian Mosdell, Director of Florida Launch Operations for SpaceX. “We have moved our massive oxygen storage tank into place, and expect to complete construction of our hangar later this year.”

Mosdell cited other supporters instrumental to SpaceX’s efforts including the members of the Florida congressional delegation, the USAF Space Command, Col. Scott Henderson, Commander, 45th Launch Group, Col. (ret.) Mark Bontrager, formerly Commander of the 45th Mission Support Group, the public-private partnership Space Florida, and the Space Coast Economic Development Commission.

In operation since 1965, and located south of NASA’s launch sites for the Apollo moon missions and Space Shuttle flights, SLC-40 has hosted numerous historic launches, including the departure of two interplanetary missions: the Mars Observer satellite, and the Cassini spacecraft now exploring the rings and moons of the planet Saturn.

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1025
Here is the video of the launch, still not as exciting as the past Falcon 1 launches.....

http://www.businesswire.com/multimedia/home/20080909006613/en/1678330

Offline dmc6960

• Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 3
The Max-Q part of the video looks like it was taken from an Atlas V launch.
-Jim

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
Uh, no.  That was clearly CG, done by NASA, and Atlas doesn't have a dark interstage that far up the rocket.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline dmc6960

• Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 3
Yes, it was clearly CG, but only some of it.  The exhaust clearly looks like the dual-nozzle exhaust from the Atlas V.  The GC Falcon coloring and nose would have been based around the Atlas V CCB.
-Jim

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 0
Actually, I saw the full-duration, high-res version of that clip (as well as the equivalent Orbital Taurus II/Cygnus one) at the AIAA Space 2008 conference.  It is breath-taking.  The best space CG animation I've seen.  Ever.

It's John Frassanito's work.  I think he's the top banana in that field today.
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline Swatch

• Official Aerospace Engineer as of June 13th, 2009
  • Cincinnati
    • ProjectApollo/NASSP: Virtual Systems and Flight Simulation of the Apollo Program
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 19
I have to agree, that is a very VERY impressive animation that someone with extensive knowlege of atmospheric optical effects has done.

antonioe, do you know if the Taurus/Cygnus will be posted for public consumption?
Ex-Rocket Scientist in Training, now Rocket Scientist!
M-F trying to make the world of the future a smaller place through expanding horizons...

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
I asked Valin Thorn about it.  He said it will be, but only after NASA releases its full video (a very reasonable request, given that they paid for it...)

I asked him to transmit a copy to Chris for publication in this site.  He said it was way too long to email, so I expect a CD to be involved, at least in the full-res version (and Chris will have to decide if he's willing to post such a monster).

Offline Herb Schaltegger

I asked Valin Thorn about it.  He said it will be, but only after NASA releases its full video (a very reasonable request, given that they paid for it...)

Er, that means that we the taxpayers paid for it and it should be in the public domain, absent issues about contractor-proprietary info and/or ITAR. :)
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
As a duly appointed representative of the contractor, I can handle the proprietary issue; having seen the video, I don't think there would be any ITAR issues (but we'll have to go through the process nevertheless).

Storage requirements for the HD version will be a problem, though.

Offline tobi453

• Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 15

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1025
hmm, someone might want to tell the person who made the video that Node 3 is in the wrong place!

edit:  seems the SpaceX move has stopped working
« Last Edit: 09/13/2008 06:36 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
Er, that means that we the taxpayers paid for it and it should be in the public domain, absent issues about contractor-proprietary info and/or ITAR. :)

Actually, it's never that simple / cut and dried.  It depends on the intellectual property rights clauses in the contracts that did the CGA.  Understanding nuances diminishes frustrations.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography