Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : CRS-16 (Dragon SpX-16) : December 5, 2018 - DISCUSSION  (Read 247914 times)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81677
  • Likes Given: 36941
Sounds like a scrub on yesterday’s static fire attempt:

https://twitter.com/uslaunchreport/status/1068553141036244994

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81677
  • Likes Given: 36941

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
November 30, 2018 
MEDIA ADVISORY 018-18
Kennedy Space Center Traffic and Road Closures for Upcoming Launch Activities

Heavy traffic on and around the Kennedy Space Center and the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is expected Tuesday, Dec. 4, due to center activities surrounding the upcoming launch of SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Liftoff is planned for no earlier than 1:38 p.m. EST on Tuesday, Dec. 4.

PUBLIC ACCESS ROAD CLOSURES

Starting at 9 a.m. EST on Tuesday, Dec. 4, Kennedy Space Center will be enforcing restricted access from its boundary lines to the center for the duration of the SpaceX launch attempt.    

State Road 3 from the Gate 2 News Media Pass and Identification Building to State Road 405 (NASA Causeway), including Space Commerce Way, will be closed to the general public at 9 a.m. Access to Kennedy Space Center, the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, Exploration Park and Blue Origin will be limited to authorized personnel. The roads will reopen after launch.

The NASA Causeway between US1 and Gate 3 will also be restricted to authorized personnel (badged employees and their partners). The roads will reopen after launch.

The Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex will be open; however, once capacity has been reached, no further traffic will be permitted.

The A. Max Brewer Bridge on State Road 406 in Titusville, east to Playalinda Beach will be open to all motor vehicle traffic until capacity is reached or noon, whichever comes first.

State Road 3 North at US1 in Volusia County, south to Playalinda Beach will be open to all motor vehicle traffic until capacity is reached or noon, whichever comes first.

Please expect delays and plan accordingly.
Jacques :-)

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Science Briefing, Prelaunch News Conference Set for SpaceX CRS-16

Linda Herridge Posted on November 30, 2018

SpaceX’s 16th commercial resupply mission to the International Space Station for NASA is targeted to launch at 1:39 p.m. EST Tuesday, Dec. 4, from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Join us Monday, Dec. 3, as we start SpaceX CRS-16 launch week coverage with prelaunch events on NASA Television and the agency’s website.

9:30 a.m. – What’s on Board science briefing from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The briefing will highlight the following research:

Jill McGuire, project manager, NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, will discuss RRM3.

Dr. Ralph Dubayah, principal investigator, University of Maryland, and Bryan Blair, deputy principal investigator, Goddard, will discuss GEDI.

Dr. Elaine Horn-Ranney, principal investigator, Tympanogen, will discuss an investigation into novel wound dressings and how antibiotics can be directly released on wound sites.

Nicole Wagner, LambdaVision, will discuss the Enhancement of Performance and Longevity of a Protein-Based Retinal Implant.

Winners of the Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy Space Station Challenge:

Adia Bulawa, project lead, Staying Healthy in Space

Sarina Kopf, project lead, Aeroponic Farming in Microgravity

3:30 p.m. – Prelaunch News Conference from Kennedy with the following representatives:

Joel Montelbano, deputy ISS program manager, NASA’s Johnson Space Center

Hans Koenigsmann, vice president of Build and Flight Reliability at SpaceX

Kirt Costello, ISS program chief scientist, Johnson

Clay Flinn, launch weather officer

For the latest schedule of prelaunch briefings, events and NASA TV coverage, visit: https://www.nasa.gov/content/spacex-crs-16-briefings-and-events/

Learn more about the SpaceX resupply mission to the International Space Station at: https://www.nasa.gov/spacex

https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacex/2018/11/30/science-briefing-prelaunch-news-conference-set-for-spacex-crs-16/

Offline MattBaker

• Liked: 348
  • Likes Given: 253
Sounds like a scrub on yesterday’s static fire attempt

Weird, 2nd static fire in a row with a scrub. Are they trying a new procedure or does anyone remember static fire delays with the Block 5 other than the one in Vandenberg last week?

I guess static fire delays are the definition of "better safe than sorry" but I'd hope those two points don't become a pattern.

Online Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5917
  • Likes Given: 945
Sounds like a scrub on yesterday’s static fire attempt

Weird, 2nd static fire in a row with a scrub. Are they trying a new procedure or does anyone remember static fire delays with the Block 5 other than the one in Vandenberg last week?

I guess static fire delays are the definition of "better safe than sorry" but I'd hope those two points don't become a pattern.

To be more precise, this is not the second in a row but the second in the last three static fires. SSO-A static fire went ok.

Offline MattBaker

• Liked: 348
  • Likes Given: 253
Sorry, mixed up SSO-A and Es'hail-2.

Too many darn launches.

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865

Offline Chris Bergin

Good quick look review. Will copy some of this over and make the update thread:
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1068715609397940224
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
Does anyone know of a site which could be used to determine launch visibility with respect to the launch’s trajectory and a given location? I’ll be in Grand Turk for this launch, and naturally had been hoping for a southeastern trajectory, and so I’m wondering if any phase of the flight might be visible from a vantage point that far southeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Online Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5917
  • Likes Given: 945
Does anyone know of a site which could be used to determine launch visibility with respect to the launch’s trajectory and a given location? I’ll be in Grand Turk for this launch, and naturally had been hoping for a southeastern trajectory, and so I’m wondering if any phase of the flight might be visible from a vantage point that far southeast.

Try Flight Club, that may help

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201

It is going to launch northeast, so probably nope.

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
SpaceX CRS-16 Now Targeted for Dec. 5

Stephanie Martin Posted on December 3, 2018

NASA and SpaceX are now targeting Wednesday, Dec. 5 for launch of the 16th SpaceX cargo resupply mission to the International Space Station. The launch was moved to Wednesday after mold was found on food bars for a rodent investigation prior to handover to SpaceX. Teams will use the extra day to replace the food bars. The launch time for Wednesday is 1:16 p.m. EST.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/kennedy/2018/12/03/spacex-crs-16-now-targeted-for-dec-5/

Offline dnavas

• San Jose
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 1312
The mouse caterers

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N777ZL

For those that might read the above after the link content disappears:
Takeoff (SJC)  05:27PM PST  Scheduled 04:30PM PST
Landing  12:55AM EST (+1)  Scheduled 12:01AM EST (+1)

So, it was an hour late; as they were already over time, it makes the slip seem inevitable.

Offline SimonFD

NASA and SpaceX are now targeting Wednesday, Dec. 5 for launch of the 16th SpaceX cargo resupply mission to the International Space Station. The launch was moved to Wednesday after mold was found on food bars for a rodent investigation prior to handover to SpaceX. Teams will use the extra day to replace the food bars. The launch time for Wednesday is 1:16 p.m. EST.

Bold mine. What a weird statement seeing as it was the food bars causing the delay in the first place. The wording they use makes it sound like they're taking advantage of a delay caused by something else! Or is it just me?
 :o
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916

Bold mine. What a weird statement seeing as it was the food bars causing the delay in the first place. The wording they use makes it sound like they're taking advantage of a delay caused by something else! Or is it just me?
 :o

From the press conference yesterday it was pretty clear that the food bars caused the delay. Yesterday they were not clear if they need to delay or not not surprised at all.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Jacques :-)

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
I am really disappointed that NASA *still* hasn't gotten around to posting the two CRS-16 news conferences to Youtube, 30 hours after they happened.  Pre-launch news conference: nope.  Science / what's-on-board news conference: nope.  (Note: the 5 minute teaser is not the news conference.)

Alas, John44's videos are erroring out for me, so can't rely on that as backup.

Just had to grumble, I guess.

EDIT: oh, I just thought of another method, the Ustream auto-archive!  The link below provides both of the news conferences.  First is the What's On Board briefing, and then (at 1h30m) is the Pre-Launch briefing: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/118527221

Ustream videos are more difficult to watch than Youtube (YT really has their tech together) but I'll take it.
« Last Edit: 12/05/2018 01:35 am by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
And now that I can actually see the presser ...

In the Whats-On-Board presentation, Kirt Costello was billed as the ISS Chief Scientist.  Previously he was deputy, under Julie Robinson.  What happened to Julie?  Google has failed to tell me.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1882
On the NASA Webcast, NASA commentator Joshua Santora is reporting from the "Mission Director Center".
What is the "Mission Director Center"?
Is this the SpaceX Launch Control Center?

Tags: CRS-16 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography