Author Topic: Why do so many believe Apollo was faked?  (Read 46437 times)

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Why do so many believe Apollo was faked?
« Reply #40 on: 04/18/2008 03:40 am »
j2_ - 17/4/2008  10:23 PM

Andrewwski - 16/4/2008  11:49 AM

How many people actually believe this?  I'd guess very few.  Because for all they know, the CIA killed JFK, the White House was behind 9/11, Elvis is alive, and Paul McCartney is dead.

There is scientific proof that Elvis is dead, Paul McCartney is still alive, and that NASA did indeed land on the moon 9 times...

Went to cislunar space nine times, anyway.

There were only six landings (11, 12, 14-17). 8, 10, and 13 didn't land - two by design...
JRF

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: 04/18/2008 03:54 am »
Jorge - 17/4/2008  6:09 PM

Being experienced pilots didn't help the Apollo crews with the computers - they needed a lot of training to operate the primitive user interfaces of the AGC and AEA. (The AEA in particular - the user interface was a keypad with two numerical LED displays to allow the crew to "peek" and "poke" memory locations directly.)

What I meant by bringing up the pilots was, a lot of these poor people think you couldn't LAND-actually fly the landing-without some sort of mega-powered computer doing every little task. Well, they did have mega-powered computers-inside the respective experienced noggins of Neil Armstrong, Pete Conrad, Alan Shepard, Dave Scott, John Young and Gene Cernan. Makes you wonder how they think helicopters and nighttime jet carrier traps could have worked all those years before that without advanced computer guidance. Same thing with the rendezvous. I guess they think aerial refueling and formation flight on instruments must be impossible, too.

I really think it's because these fools can't do anything the least bit complex themselves without a computer these days, so they think everybody else can't, either.
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #42 on: 04/18/2008 03:54 am »
j2_ - 17/4/2008  11:23 PM

Andrewwski - 16/4/2008  11:49 AM

How many people actually believe this?  I'd guess very few.  Because for all they know, the CIA killed JFK, the White House was behind 9/11, Elvis is alive, and Paul McCartney is dead.

There is scientific proof that Elvis is dead, Paul McCartney is still alive, and that NASA did indeed land on the moon 9 times...

And that the CIA did not kill JFK  .

however there are two key facts that cannot be overlooked or controlled.
1) the Russians did not say that the USA had faked the landing
2) Anyone on earth could have picked up the radio/TV signals and their source ( i.e. the moon)
and again no-one called it a fake.

never mind the rocks etc

(However, we also need to look for facts before we blow everything off as conspiracy.. sometimes its part of an intensional diversion. We can also blow things off because we believe we understand something, but miss the context, or assume something that is just plain wrong but don't know any better..)

Offline MB123

• Liked: 0
RE: Why do so many believe Apollo was faked?
« Reply #43 on: 04/18/2008 06:01 am »

It is a belief in some religions that man can't leave the Earth

Offline tesheiner

« Reply #44 on: 04/18/2008 08:49 am »
Jorge - 18/4/2008  3:09 AM
Granted, Apollo's computers were *really* memory-limited. The AGC had 36K 15-bit words of fixed memory, 2K of erasable memory while the AEA had 2K 18-bit words of fixed memory, 2K erasable. But the software was written *really* tightly, mostly in assembly language, and MIT and TRW threw a *lot* of clever people at it. You can really accomplish a lot with a little memory if you make every bit count.

The roll after lift-off is an example.
http://yarchive.net/space/apollo/takeoff_roll.html

Offline PMN1

• Liked: 5
« Reply #45 on: 04/18/2008 12:44 pm »
HIPAR - 17/4/2008  5:51 PM

Why did the Russians go along with the scam?

---  CHAS

That's a question i've noticed gets ignored when i've asked people who suggest it was a hoax.

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #46 on: 04/18/2008 01:16 pm »
The response I have gotten from some young people is that large government agencies can never do anything right. They feel that NASA bungled it back it the 60s and had to fake it to keep the national prestige.

Think of the thousands of people who worked on  Apollo. Could they all keep such a deep secret? Like others have said, the Soviets would have tried like hell to uncover ANY fraud in the Apollo program.

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
« Reply #47 on: 04/18/2008 01:40 pm »
Vacuum.Head - 17/4/2008  7:37 PM

(Warning Wikifact) 4.2 m Decent stage LM
Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera
0.5 metres/pixel
http://www.msss.com/lro/lroc/index.html
so ~ 8x8 pixels Hmmm!
and the flag's gonna be tricky...

LRO should resolve somewhat better than MRO due to lower orbit and no atmosphere, and MRO can see:
http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/1205_Mars_Reconnaissance_Orbiters_HiRISE.html

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #48 on: 04/18/2008 02:05 pm »
Because nobody has been there since 1972. The big question should be: "Why don't we visit the Moon today?"

Online DaveJ576

• Norfolk, VA
    • Pigboats.com
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 641
« Reply #49 on: 04/18/2008 02:10 pm »
One of my favorite websites, www.clavius.org absolutely demolishes the moon hoax theory. Anyone who brings up this silly idea I just direct to Clavius and that ends it right there.

'Nuff said.

"We have a pitch and a roll program and man this baby is really going!"

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #50 on: 04/18/2008 02:17 pm »
I have several of the articles of Phil Plait translated into Bulgarian. Actually, when you give them all that proof they just say: "Probably the LM was flown unmanned", "The rocks have been brought back in a similar way the Russian did".

What about this image?
http://www.tass-survey.org/richmond/answers/lunar_pictures/h_apollo_site_02.jpg

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #51 on: 04/18/2008 02:20 pm »
Gene DiGennaro - 18/4/2008  3:16 PM
The response I have gotten from some young people is that large government agencies can never do anything right.

Well, least of all a large scale cover up as would be needed for a fake moon landing conspiracy...
If there's ONE thing I believe govs are really bad at then it's long term cover ups, too much personal interest involved.

Offline kimmern123

• Veteran
  • Norway
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #52 on: 04/18/2008 02:33 pm »
rsp1202 - 18/4/2008  3:40 PM

Vacuum.Head - 17/4/2008  7:37 PM

(Warning Wikifact) 4.2 m Decent stage LM
Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera
0.5 metres/pixel
http://www.msss.com/lro/lroc/index.html
so ~ 8x8 pixels Hmmm!
and the flag's gonna be tricky...

LRO should resolve somewhat better than MRO due to lower orbit and no atmosphere, and MRO can see:
http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/1205_Mars_Reconnaissance_Orbiters_HiRISE.html

The sad thing is that the most die-hard hoax believers will most likely just say the images are photoshopped and another proof of a government conspiracy.

What troubles me the most, is the fact that I've heard of high school teachers showing the Fox-"documentary" in Science-classes without presenting evidence that contradicts the hoax.

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #53 on: 04/18/2008 02:52 pm »
I have a picture with Apollo 17 behind me.  Oh, that's a miniature at the Cape 'back lot'. I was there when it lit up the night sky and thundered skyward.  Now I'm thinking this was all some kind of optical illusion.  How did they make the ground shake?  Oh that's easy .. just use some sort of humongous subwoofer like you hear when some yahoo pulls up next to you at the red light.  Oh all those virtuous people who worked on the project .. everyone of them has zero credibility because they were on the Government dole and couldn't have made it in the 'real world'.  The Russians?  Every one has his price.

I always suggest to the naysayers that faking this kind of thing is more difficult than actually doing it.

---  CHAS

Offline cpcjr

• Liked: 2
« Reply #54 on: 04/18/2008 02:53 pm »
Svetoslav - 18/4/2008  10:17 AM

I have several of the articles of Phil Plait translated into Bulgarian. Actually, when you give them all that proof they just say: "Probably the LM was flown unmanned", "The rocks have been brought back in a similar way the Russian did".

If that's the case then why could they not just send the guys along with it and do it for real?

I'd like to see their answer to that one. Probably have something to do with radiation or some such thing.

Offline JSC Phil

• Liked: 629
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #55 on: 04/18/2008 02:55 pm »
Chris Bergin - 16/4/2008  11:21 AM

It's the dark and dumb side of human nature, with a large dose of ignorance and lack of intelligence.

Same as those idiots that can't comprehend that 9/11 was as it happened, so fabricate a conspiracy as a form of self delusion, without realizing how incredibly insulting it is to the brave men and women that had to deal with the consequences of the tragedy, and those lost as a result.

Specific to the thread title, I think Buzz Aldrin "said" it best:

Could not of said it better myself.

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #56 on: 04/18/2008 03:02 pm »
This is a philosophical question lacking a good answer. Why do many people believe in God? Why don't many others? People have beliefs based on their (always) limited information processed in their (always) limited brain. Even the very same information can lead to vastly different beliefs. Its human nature. The beauty of science is an established system to prove or disprove something. But this system by itself has limitations some people don't accept, how well founded the system may be to many other people. The prove for many is never enough for all. If you don't accept logic, math, science etc. as a basic framework, everything is possible. And if you accept them, you can never be 100% sure the framework is correct. You never know for sure. Philosophical? Such is life.

Analyst

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #57 on: 04/18/2008 03:05 pm »
cpcjr - 18/4/2008  5:53 PM

Svetoslav - 18/4/2008  10:17 AM

If that's the case then why could they not just send the guys along with it and do it for real?

Well, I live in a country which was in the former Eastern block. Yes, there are a lot of people here who still believe that Russians never had a Moon program because it's dangerous, because of the radiation and so on.
Yes, there are a lot of people who come to me and say: "OK, guy, listen to what I'll tell ya. Russians sent man in space, they built a whole bunch of space bases, they even built their own space shuttle. The only thing they failed in is building a rocket capable of sending men to the Moon. Who should I believe that NASA succeeded?"

Offline William Barton

• Liked: 8
« Reply #58 on: 04/18/2008 03:30 pm »
Svetoslav - 18/4/2008  10:05 AM

Because nobody has been there since 1972. The big question should be: "Why don't we visit the Moon today?"

LGMs gave us a parking ticket and we are still paying off the fine.

Offline haywoodfloyd

• Veteran
  • Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #59 on: 04/18/2008 03:39 pm »
Actually I don't believe that Apollo Moon Landing hoaxers (a real word?) actually exist.
I think it's a hoax.
They cannot prove to me that they actually exist.
They try but I don't believe them.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography