Author Topic: Kanopus-ST - Soyuz-2.1v/Volga - Plesetsk 43/4 - December 5, 2015 (14:09 UTC)  (Read 51792 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
I should mention that Kanopus did not fail to separate from Volga, but rather from a special adapter carried by Volga as a payload. Nothing touching the launch vehicle and upper stage actually failed. 

In other words, it's as if a subsatellite carried by Apollo 17 had failed to deploy around the Moon, would that be a launch vehicle failure?

The key words there are "as a payload". This is the same adapter design that was carried on the previous Volga mission,
so it seems like it's standard Volga equipment. But perhaps it was integrated/managed as part of the payload
rather than the launch vehicle. I still suspect the separation command is controlled from the Volga - just because
it's my impression that's usually how launch vehicles operate. So I am not convinced by your Apollo 17 analogy.

Nope. That weird cylinder on top of the Volga stage is definitely not standard equipment. The separation plane for Volga is below the cylinder.

In all cases, the separation command was given, but a bolt between the satellite and the cylinder failed.

Online Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
I also read Anatoly's article on his website.  Interesting!
That information also explains why these satellites received Kosmos designations.
It also explains why we had no live launch coverage.

The Seasat conspiracists claimed that the satellite power failure was a cover for stopping the satellite's unforeseen abilities from disclosing the position of submerged submarines.

(I think the above conspiracy theory is baloney.)

Is there anything in the open literature to suggest that such a capability CAN exist, much less does?
Search for "internal waves" and submarines.  The focus of research seems to be on using microwaves to detect subtle ocean surface effects.  My supposition.

- Ed Kyle

Found this:-
ТЗ «Создание ракетно-космического комплекса «Канопус-СТ» космической системы-демонстратора освещения подводной и гидрометеорологической обстановки на базе МКА» (шифр РКК «Канопус-СТ»)
Any one translate (without using Googleese)?
« Last Edit: 02/15/2018 07:55 am by Stan Black »

Offline B. Hendrickx

• Liked: 1891
  • Likes Given: 67
Found this:-
ТЗ «Создание ракетно-космического комплекса «Канопус-СТ» космической системы-демонстратора освещения подводной и гидрометеорологической обстановки на базе МКА» (шифр РКК «Канопус-СТ»)
Any one translate (without using Googleese)?
[/quote]

This describes Kanopus-ST as a small experimental satellite to "monitor the situation under water as well as the hydrometeorological situation". It is apparently the title of a document that gives the technical specifications (TZ) for the satellite.

Actually, the general director of the company that built the Kanopus-ST payload (NTTs Kosmonit) more or less confirmed several years ago that it would be used both for civilian and military purposes. He said it would be used for "remote sensing of the ocean, monitoring the situation above and under water and detecting submerged submarines".

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/2871516

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography