Author Topic: First manned Saturn Launch Footage, 8mm? Value?  (Read 4919 times)

Offline TFulton01

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
First manned Saturn Launch Footage, 8mm? Value?
« on: 03/20/2013 08:49 pm »
Well I know some may think I should donate this to a museum but at the moment I am broke and if its worth something I might sell it but if not I'll keep it because my grandfather was an engineer for NASA.

Its a reel on red plastic that says made in the USA, other then that all it is is film and a few frames into it it says First Manned Saturn Launch.

I am just curious if it has any value, I searched ebay and google and can't find anything similar, I know my gramps was an amateur photographer and like video as well. He made several home movies that we enjoy as a family today. Though I suppose this could be something mass produced and minorly collectible.

I guess if anyone out there is curious I could put up a picture, I think its 8mm I don't know much about film.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline TFulton01

Re: First manned Saturn Launch Footage, 8mm? Value?
« Reply #2 on: 03/20/2013 10:04 pm »
Thank you.

I'm really curious as to what flight is on this film.

I know there was the first manned Saturn flight and the first successful manned Saturn flight.

Do you think this might be footage of the one that caught fire  :o ??? :(?

Offline MrTim

• Liked: 21
« Reply #3 on: 03/21/2013 05:07 am »
Am I in the right place? ???
You probably did not get the flood of feedback you might have expected because there's simply not much to go on; it's a film (a visual media), so for somebody to know if it's mass-produced and common, or something really special it needs to be seen. People can understand that you may not be not equipped to convert it to video and shove it onto YouTube or Vimeo or some such thing where it could be evaluated. Be mindful that any viewing or attempted conversion should be done carefully to avoid damaging the film (just in case it is something special). It is also understandable that you  would want to preserve any value by not putting the whole thing online. For a proper evaluation, however, you'll need to go a bit further than you have, and pointing to other films/videos and saying "it's sort of like that" just does not help much.

If you have a way to watch it, you might try providing a list of scenes with a run time and description of each scene. Better still if you have a way to post some significant still images. There are a lot of people on this site who have scrutinized a large volume of film and video, so I'd bet if you could get enough info here you could get excellent feedback.  ;)

Offline TFulton01

« Reply #4 on: 03/21/2013 02:17 pm »
Took these yesterday.

Offline OV135

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: 03/21/2013 03:10 pm »
It's Apollo 8 dude, the first launch of Saturn V.

Offline TFulton01

« Reply #6 on: 03/21/2013 04:37 pm »
oh yeah, I can kinda see the V right where the rocket is.

The Apollo 7 was a Saturn IB right?

Offline njrick

• NJ
« Reply #7 on: 03/21/2013 09:24 pm »
I agree...I think its Apollo 8...7 flew the Saturn 1b

Offline MarsMethanogen

• Denver, Colorado USA
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #8 on: 03/22/2013 02:37 am »
It's Apollo 8 dude, the first launch of Saturn V.

Perhaps you meant to say first MANNED launch of the Saturn V.  It was the third launch of a Saturn V.  AS-501 was launched I believe in Nov 1967 and the second unmanned launch, AS-502 took place in April 1968 I believe.  Apollo 8 (AS-503) went up with Borman, Lovell and Anders in Dec 1968.

Offline OV135

• Liked: 13
« Reply #9 on: 03/22/2013 01:57 pm »
Yeah. The still frames show it to be Apollo 8, the first manned flight of a Saturn V rocket.

Offline TFulton01

« Reply #10 on: 03/22/2013 04:22 pm »
I'm going to take this to the art people at school and see if they have an old projector somewhere. It would be cool to watch and at the same time it might not be one that was sold, I only think of that as possible because my gramps was an engineer for NASA but he could of also picked this up at a gift shop of some sort. Speculation.

Has anyone seen footage with this this in the beginning, in other words are these well known still frames of Apollo 8?

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography