Author Topic: Starliner Space Suit – a modified Boeing Blue version of ACES – revealed  (Read 37047 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
I'm a little surprised they didn't use conformal helmets.  The Columbia crew survival report had a lot to say about trauma from the loose-fitting helmets.  Is ASAP going to be happy?

Not applicable.  The mass of the shuttle helmets was the problem.  Shuttle crews had to bail out.   If there are loads that will cause head trauma on CST-100, then there are bigger issues.  The CST-100 crew will be in reclining seats in an eyeballs in orientation with one basic direction of loads. 

(see comment about Apollo eyes below)
« Last Edit: 01/26/2017 01:54 pm by Jim »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator

Although "Boeing blue" color might be a poor choice for visibility during an ocean abort.

The color of the suit doesn't do much for visibility at sea. Much better to have reflective strips which  will do a much better job. Since you need a light source emitting from the searcher to see anyone in the middle of the sea.
Nope. NASA did not require a high-visibility pressure suit. Starliner will only land on water in extreme contingency cases (default is landing on land) and the crew is supposed to stay inside the capsule until help arrives. From that point forward you do not need high visibility suits.

Correct.

People need to look through Apollo eyes and not Shuttle eyes. 

Shuttle crew was going to bail out over the ocean and be separated from each other by large distances.  Also, they would not be in or next to a floating orbiter.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
I like the new suits, and was just thinking the other day how I liked the lightweight design of the GT7 Gemini suits with the partially fabric helmet. Should reduce stowage volume and make the suits more comfortable when not pressurized.
« Last Edit: 01/26/2017 02:47 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Basto

• Salt Lake City, UT
  • Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 204
Spaceship!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
I like the new suits, and was just thinking the other day how I liked the lightweight design of the GT7 Gemini suits with the partially fabric helmet. Should reduce stowage volume and make the suits more comfortable when not pressurized.

GT-7 crew still wore crash helmets under the suit helmet.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 12
The pic got me doing so research on that suit, never knew they made one of that type.
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/MuseumExhibits/FactSheets/Display/tabid/509/Article/198041/project-gemini-lightweight-space-suit.aspx
curious if they used this type of suit as a starting point of some kind for their design.
jb

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883

GT-7 crew still wore crash helmets under the suit helmet.
Probably because of the alarming ejection possibilities.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
Spaceship!

Is it me. ;) Or is that a Space Smurf? ;D

Leaving now :P

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
The pic got me doing so research on that suit, never knew they made one of that type.
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/MuseumExhibits/FactSheets/Display/tabid/509/Article/198041/project-gemini-lightweight-space-suit.aspx
curious if they used this type of suit as a starting point of some kind for their design.
jb
A lot of money has been spent on R&D in the past so why not make use of it. Here are more pics from a display of the G5C:
http://heroicrelics.org/ahof/suits-gemini-g5c/index.html
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72392
Great update, Chris!

Thank you also for addressing what is known about the space suit for Dragon and the mention of the Orion space suit.

Spaceship!

Is it me. ;) Or is that a Space Smurf? ;D

Leaving now :P
Well, I think the new suits are just smurfy. :D

And we should consider other inspiration source possibilities. 8)
« Last Edit: 01/27/2017 01:39 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
What it's like to wear Boeing's Space Suit
Everyday Astronaut
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81620
  • Likes Given: 36928
Crosspost:

https://flic.kr/p/2nXTN6Y

KSC-20221018-PH_KLS01_0222
From left, NASA astronauts Mike Fincke, Suni Williams, and Barry “Butch” Wilmore, Boeing Crew Flight Test (CFT) backup spacecraft test pilot, pilot, and commander, respectively, exit the Astronaut Crew Quarters at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida during a crew validation test on Oct. 18, 2022. The astronauts, with assistance from the Boeing team, successfully completed the validation test during which they suited up and tested out the pressurized crew module to ensure seat fit, suit functionality, cabin temperature, audio system, and day of launch operations. Boeing’s CFT is scheduled to launch in April 2023. Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography