Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2  (Read 2965315 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #700 on: 01/07/2015 03:18 pm »

Is it possible that SpaceX has decided not to make the landing attempt due to high seas, and instead wait for a later launch for the first try?

The ISS is waiting for supplies.   The next spacecraft is onsite waiting for launch.

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #701 on: 01/07/2015 03:21 pm »
Is it possible that SpaceX has decided not to make the landing attempt due to high seas, and instead wait for a later launch for the first try?

Or the launch got pushed back even more, past Friday...

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #702 on: 01/07/2015 03:24 pm »

That gets my vote. TVC problem is non-trivial. May need to de-integrate in order to access the actuator?
« Last Edit: 01/07/2015 03:28 pm by Kabloona »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #703 on: 01/07/2015 03:41 pm »

That gets my vote. TVC problem is non-trivial. May need to de-integrate in order to access the actuator?

This is all wild speculation based on the lack of information.
Many, many things are possible  The launch is NET Friday, not "Friday". Many things "may need to be" done.   
edit: The significance and relevance of these questions to the ASDS is getting thinner and thinner.
« Last Edit: 01/07/2015 03:42 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #704 on: 01/07/2015 03:44 pm »
Well, one way or another we should find out tomorrow-ish (before 5pm Thursday?)  if the sailors just came home to sleep in a real bed tonight and are headed back out in the morning.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if so -- it not uncommon to run into a little engine trouble or discover something you forgot that a quick hour in port and run to the marine supply store can fix.  Since there's a new backup launch date of Jan 10, it may also be that they decided to get a few more provisions so they can extend their stay if Jan 9 turns out to be a scrub/delay as well.

WRT sea state, the waves were forecast to be 5-14 feet on Tuesday's launch attempt IIRC (watch the prelaunch briefing if you want to know the exact numbers) and they were still going to attempt a landing.  Hans was very confident: "it's a big ship".

Remember that that 6' wave "limit" has been there since CRS-3, so it's certainly not directly related to the ASDS capabilities.
« Last Edit: 01/07/2015 03:45 pm by cscott »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #705 on: 01/07/2015 03:57 pm »
Remember that that 6' wave "limit" has been there since CRS-3, so it's certainly not directly related to the ASDS capabilities.

It's possible that the 6' "limit" was originally based on the expected difficulty of safely grappling a floating stage with a recovery vessel in heavy seas.

Now that the barge has entered the picture, the issue becomes how to safely approach/board/tie up to the ASDS from the tug in heavy seas.

That may be the limiting factor in barge operations at sea, rather than the ability of the barge itself to handle a landing in heavy seas.

Offline MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 340
  • Likes Given: 993
« Reply #706 on: 01/07/2015 04:50 pm »

The ISS is waiting for supplies.   The next spacecraft is onsite waiting for launch.

He has spoken about launching on Friday without landing attempt. Not about delaying the launch.

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 1190
  • Likes Given: 2685
« Reply #707 on: 01/07/2015 05:23 pm »
From Florida Today.

SpaceX is evaluating whether to replace a rocket component responsible for scrubbing Tuesday morning's attempt to launch an International Space Station resupply mission from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
It was not clear how the launch schedule might be impacted if the company decides to replace a faulty actuator in the system that controls steering of the rocket's upper-stage engine nozzle.

"A replacement of the component is likely, but no firm decision has been made," [quote/]

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/spacex/2015/01/07/spacex-targets-friday-launch-while-evaluating-rocket-component/21386343/

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #708 on: 01/07/2015 06:31 pm »
From Florida Today.

SpaceX is evaluating whether to replace a rocket component responsible for scrubbing Tuesday morning's attempt to launch an International Space Station resupply mission from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
It was not clear how the launch schedule might be impacted if the company decides to replace a faulty actuator in the system that controls steering of the rocket's upper-stage engine nozzle.

"A replacement of the component is likely, but no firm decision has been made," [quote/]

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/spacex/2015/01/07/spacex-targets-friday-launch-while-evaluating-rocket-component/21386343/[/quote]
This is very interesting but really more germain to CRS-5, so I have cross posted it to the CRS-5 Discusion thread.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Confusador

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 381
« Reply #709 on: 01/07/2015 06:49 pm »

Irrelevant to whether they attempt landing on this launch.  The ships' captains certainly know something we don't, but whether that's that launch has been delayed due to the actuator, or the landing has been cancelled due to sea state, I couldn't say.

Offline cscott

« Reply #710 on: 01/07/2015 07:17 pm »

Irrelevant to whether they attempt landing on this launch.  The ships' captains certainly know something we don't, but whether that's that launch has been delayed due to the actuator, or the landing has been cancelled due to sea state, I couldn't say.

Any of those might be the case, but it seems to require only ~12 hrs for them to get on station, so any conclusion at this point is a bit premature.

EDIT: I was wrong about the time, see below.
« Last Edit: 01/10/2015 02:22 am by cscott »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #711 on: 01/07/2015 08:17 pm »
12 hrs??? LZ is around 200 miles out, and the tug makes about 5 knots. More like 36 hrs.

Offline Darga

• Beyond the wall
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 881
« Reply #712 on: 01/07/2015 08:32 pm »
12 hrs??? LZ is around 200 miles out, and the tug makes about 5 knots. More like 36 hrs.

For the previous journey my records indicate Elsbeth III made it to sea at 19:51 central Jan 03 and arrived on location Jan 5 09:09 central or 37.2 hours plus or minus a few minutes at most.

Offline cscott

« Reply #713 on: 01/07/2015 08:41 pm »
According to @cartman, the Go Quest is actually moving at 8kts -- it can move faster when it's not towing the ASDS, I guess.  So if it's 36 hrs at 5 kts, it's 22 hours at 8 kts?

But in any case it's clear I misinterpreted @Kabloona's earlier "12 hours" comment, since the Elsbeth III was already most of the way home when we wrote that.

36 hours before 4:47am Saturday is 4:47pm EST Thursday.  So my original comment about knowing "before 5pm Thursday" is still right!

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #714 on: 01/07/2015 08:48 pm »
According to @cartman, the Go Quest is actually moving at 8kts -- it can move faster when it's not towing the ASDS, I guess.  So if it's 36 hrs at 5 kts, it's 22 hours at 8 kts?

Go Quest doesn't tow; it's the support ship. Elsbeth III is the tow boat, max speed 6 knots whether towing or not, so it's the limiting  factor.
« Last Edit: 01/07/2015 08:49 pm by Kabloona »

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #715 on: 01/07/2015 09:10 pm »

Go Quest doesn't tow; it's the support ship. Elsbeth III is the tow boat, max speed 6 knots whether towing or not, so it's the limiting  factor.

i think the quest is a type of ship that is able to tow, but as far as we know its not in this case. wouldnt want to rule it out completely
« Last Edit: 01/07/2015 09:12 pm by dorkmo »

Offline Darga

• Beyond the wall
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 881
« Reply #716 on: 01/07/2015 10:08 pm »
ASDS is back in Jacksonville. Images https://imgur.com/l9uR1Qd,TatrKQP,vqaSxyt#0
« Last Edit: 01/07/2015 10:10 pm by Darga »

Offline cartman

• Greece
  • Liked: 524
  • Likes Given: 10431
« Reply #717 on: 01/07/2015 10:13 pm »
So, they are back. Last time they left about 40 hours before launch, so i guess they will have to leave in about 20 hours if they want to make it.

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #718 on: 01/08/2015 06:07 am »
seems like they must be switching radio transmission types when they transition to port. in port marinetraffic.com works, at sea vesselfinder.com works. (for me at least?)

elsbeth did two little figure 8 type maneuvers. one right before entering the river and then again right before it reached the dock. i assume its changing its tie up to the barge somehow each time.

not really exciting but maybe something to watch on the vessel tracks in the future to determine if its moving asds or not.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 06:08 am by dorkmo »

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #719 on: 01/08/2015 07:36 am »
It's possible that the tug changes from a long tow (better out at sea) to a shorter one (better manoeuvrability)
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography