Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : SDA Tranche 0 Flight 1 : VSFB SLC-4E : 2 April 2023 (14:29 UTC)  (Read 60083 times)

Offline AndrewM

• Global Moderator
  • United States
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 751
Keep in mind that it could very easily be referring to FY23 not CY23 as it is in a budget.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Keep in mind that it could very easily be referring to FY23 not CY23 as it is in a budget.

The FY23 budget part is for Tranche 1 launches (paying for them, not flying them)

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1596
SDA in 2020 ordered the first eight satellites of the  Tracking Layer — known as Tranche 0 — from L3Harris and SpaceX. The first two Tranche 0 satellites are projected to launch in 2023.

https://spacenews.com/l3harris-northrop-grumman-to-build-28-missile-tracking-satellites-for-u-s-space-development-agency/
[July 18]
« Last Edit: 08/20/2022 02:20 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
SDA in 2020 ordered the first eight satellites of the  Tracking Layer — known as Tranche 0 — from L3Harris and SpaceX. The first two Tranche 0 satellites are projected to launch in 2023.

https://spacenews.com/l3harris-northrop-grumman-to-build-28-missile-tracking-satellites-for-u-s-space-development-agency/

Sandra must have misheard that part.  Derek Tournear said today that the first two Tranche 0 Tracking Layer sats are on this flight.
« Last Edit: 07/19/2022 01:18 am by gongora »

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
L3Harris to deliver five missile-warning satellites for 2023 launches
[July 27]

SDA, a defense agency tasked to field a large constellation of satellites for communications and missile tracking, in October 2020 awarded SpaceX a $149 million contract and L3Harris a $193.5 million contract to each build four satellites to detect and track ballistic and hypersonic missiles [...]

The eight satellites make up the Tracking Layer Tranche 0. The first Tracking Layer launch, projected for September 2022, is likely to include at least two SpaceX satellites. The second launch, planned for March, will include all four L3Harris satellites and others from the Transport Layer Tranche 0, which are being produced by Lockheed Martin and York Space. SDA said the manifest has not yet been finalized.
« Last Edit: 08/20/2022 02:21 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
SDA Tranche 0 Flight 1 on NextSpaceFlight, updated August 3:
First stage 1071.5, landing at LZ-4.
« Last Edit: 08/03/2022 06:52 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
It appears a Falcon 9 is wrapped and ready to ship from Port of Long Beach back to Vandenberg SFB. Perhaps this is B1071 which arrived last week after recovery from the Starlink 3-2 mission?

https://twitter.com/w00ki33/status/1555223239571300353
« Last Edit: 08/04/2022 06:10 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post; operations date NET September 22:
1363-EX-ST-2022
Mission 1641 from Vandy, NET Late September
No droneship listed

Timing matches SDA flight, which I'm amazed hasn't slipped since it was awarded
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81684
  • Likes Given: 36941
https://twitter.com/spaceoffshore/status/1559136892851036161

A barge, which should be carrying B1071 from Starlink 3-3, has departed from SpaceX's recovery facility in Long Beach.

The booster is being towed to Vandenberg for processing for its next launch.

[zubenelgenubi: B1071 launched Starlink 3-2.]
« Last Edit: 08/15/2022 08:07 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
https://twitter.com/spaceoffshore/status/1559136892851036161

A barge, which should be carrying B1071 from Starlink 3-3, has departed from SpaceX's recovery facility in Long Beach.

The booster is being towed to Vandenberg for processing for its next launch.

Wrong thread? This booster is relaunching on the SDA mission, not Starlink 3-4.

[zubenelgenubi: Posts split/merged to the correct thread.]
« Last Edit: 08/20/2022 02:15 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Huskymaniac

• USA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I think it is important to accept the fact that space flight isn't just all a nerdy quest for knowledge.  This isn't Star Trek.  There is a reason why we have missile tracking and missile intercept systems.  The world isn't all rainbows and unicorns.  We have identified our biggest threats and we don't look at them as our brothers in humanity.  I have worked on missile defense technology for a long time and I can tell you that the DOD is VERY worried about hypersonic missiles right now.  This is a VERY important mission. 

We should discuss these realities along with the purely nerdy side of spaceflight.  In that vein, I think the DOD made a major mistake in locking SpaceX out of Tranche 1.  For all the good work that Lockheed and Northrop do, they have been slow and over budget on just about everything they have done lately.  Missile defense is too important and too urgent.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
There is a thread to discuss the SDA LEO Constellations, linked in the top post.  This isn't it.  This thread is to cover the first launch campaign.  If you want to start a discussion in the other thread, please put something more useful than "SpaceX is awesome and everyone else sucks."

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
https://mailchi.mp/spacenews/sn-military-space-starfleet-amendment-sparks-op-ed-feud-ula-investigates-delta-4-heavy-abort-sda-picks-satellite-providers-179060
"The launch window opens on the 29th of September," John London, chief of SDA's warfighting integration cell, said last week at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Alabama.

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the agency's first eight satellites from Vandenberg Space Force Base, California.
The remaining 20 will launch in spring 2023

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Starlink 4-29 is NET September 25, but it should be after this launch, assuming the current schedule holds:
1496-EX-ST-2022
Mission 1791 Starlink Group 4-29 from SLC-4E, Vandenberg
NET late September
ASDS North  29  47  54   West  116  40  39

SFN SpaceX closes out quartet of Starlink launches from Vandenberg, August 31:
The next Falcon 9 launch from Vandenberg is scheduled for late September carrying a tranche of small demonstration satellites for the U.S. military’s Space Development Agency, which is developing a constellation of missile tracking and data relay spacecraft.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2022 09:15 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
SFN Launch Schedule, updated August 31.
Launch is September 29.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81684
  • Likes Given: 36941
https://spacenews.com/space-development-agencys-first-launch-slips-due-to-supply-chain-setbacks/

Space Development Agency’s first launch slips due to supply chain setbacks
by Sandra Erwin — September 14, 2022

SDA's second batch of Tranche 0 is still on track to launch in March

WASHINGTON — The first launch of the Space Development Agency’s low Earth orbit satellites that had been scheduled for late September is slipping to no earlier than mid-December.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
Space Development Agency still hoping to launch satellites next month, ‘but there’s risk’ [Nov 10]

Quote from: SpaceNews
The Space Development Agency remains optimistic it will launch next month the first satellites of a planned mesh network of sensors and communications nodes in low Earth orbit, the agency’s director Derek Tournear said Nov. 10.

“We have high confidence … but there’s obviously risk there because we are pushing industry to go as quickly as possible,” he said on an online forum hosted by the National Security Space Association.

<snip>

The satellites trying to make the December launch are “in integration right now, doing last minute finishing touches, putting the payloads on the satellites,” he said. “There was some ground software that we actually had to change.”
« Last Edit: 12/10/2022 02:38 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Dec 15        Vand SLC-4E   SWOT
Dec 29        Vand SLC-4E   EROS C3 no. 1
NET Jan?   Vand SLC-4E   SDA Tracking Layer Tranche 0 Flight 1

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
Next Spaceflight is listing booster B1071.5 for this launch.

https://nextspaceflight.com/launches/details/5657

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
  • Liked: 3050
  • Likes Given: 1555
Next Spaceflight is listing booster B1071.5 for this launch.

https://nextspaceflight.com/launches/details/5657

It has been doing so since it was originally scheduled for the end of September:

SDA Tranche 0 Flight 1 on NextSpaceFlight, updated August 3:
First stage 1071.5, landing at LZ-4.

Given that B1071 has already made it's fifth flight, it would be at least on it's sixth flight if B1071 is still scheduled to launch this mission.
Lukas C. H. • Hobbyist Mission Patch Artist 🎨 • May the force be with you my friend, Ad Astra Per Aspera ✨️

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography