Author Topic: SpaceX Vandenberg SFB facilities (was VAFB)  (Read 79860 times)

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1543
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SpaceX Vandenberg SFB facilities (was VAFB)
« Reply #160 on: 08/15/2022 10:47 pm »
What would they be doing in this work?  What has to happen to decrease turnaround time?

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80223
  • Likes Given: 36315
« Reply #161 on: 03/20/2023 07:41 am »
https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1637656179978522625

It's worth pointing out that their major goal this year for Vandenberg is to make it become another SLC-40 and all without changing the TE. It's quite the effort and they may not succeed but... they're gonna try at least.

Interesting that SpaceX think this is a quicker and/or cheaper approach than changing the TE.
« Last Edit: 03/20/2023 07:43 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #162 on: 03/20/2023 11:29 am »
https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1637656179978522625

It's worth pointing out that their major goal this year for Vandenberg is to make it become another SLC-40 and all without changing the TE. It's quite the effort and they may not succeed but... they're gonna try at least.

Interesting that SpaceX think this is a quicker and/or cheaper approach than changing the TE.

What is the “this” you’re referring to? This thread seems to be missing a lot of context and content/
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80223
  • Likes Given: 36315
« Reply #163 on: 10/06/2023 05:13 am »
Really nice video:

https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1710048360793776224

SpaceX has completed 70 Falcon launches so far this year, 20 of which have been supported by our team at Vandenberg

If you’re interested in being a part of the mission to make space more accessible and ultimately life multiplanetary, learn more about what’s possible → x.com/SpaceX/jobs

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8033
  • Likes Given: 7391
« Reply #164 on: 10/06/2023 06:16 am »
Some Screen Grabs from that video above
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

« Reply #165 on: 12/05/2023 09:51 am »
https://www.noozhawk.com/spacex-launch-rate-at-vandenberg-sfb-could-soar-to-100-by-2025/

SpaceX Yearly Launch Rate at Vandenberg SFB Could Soar to 100 by 2025
EconAlliance Future Forum attendees hear about ambitious plans to bring Falcon Heavy rocket to West Coast

by Janene Scully | Noozhawk North County Editor
December 4, 2023 | 6:23 pm

A busy SpaceX soon will be even busier with the addition of a second launch pad and a heavy rocket at Vandenberg Space Force Base, where the firm’s yearly liftoff rate could reach 100 in a couple years.

Nate Janzen, manager of launch pad systems and operations for SpaceX at Vandenberg and a 10-year employee of the firm, spoke last week during the 10th annual celebration and Future Forum for the Economic Alliance Foundation, or EconAlliance, at the Santa Maria Country Club.

“We’re really ramping up Vandenberg to rates that we’ve never seen before and the area hasn’t seen before,” Janzen said, prompting applause from the audience.

From one launch four years ago to three the next year and 12 the following year, SpaceX expects about 30 liftoffs by the end this year.

For 2024, the rate could jump to 50, then rocket to 100 in 2025.

With the final Vandenberg Delta IV launch from SLC-6 last year, ULA prepared to move out of the site and SpaceX decided to move in — allowing the Falcon Heavy missions to take place in the future from there.

Work to ready the site should begin soon, with a goal of the first Falcon launch from SLC-6 taking place in mid-2025, Janzen added.

In addition to Falcon 9, SLC-6 also will allow SpaceX to have a West Coast launch site for the Falcon Heavy rocket, which employs three Falcon 9 first-stage boosters strapped together to carry larger payloads into orbit.

He expects the first Falcon Heavy contract for Vandenberg in 2026.

Plans also call for adding two additional landing sites at Vandenberg, so all three boosters on a Falcon Heavy launch could return to Vandenberg.

“That’s what I’m looking forward to — I think that’s going to be pretty epic.”

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 778
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #166 on: 12/05/2023 12:22 pm »
What is the “this” you’re referring to? This thread seems to be missing a lot of context and content/
The "this" that Berger is refering to is the rapid and large retraction of the Cape Canaveral SLC-40 transporter-erector, which reduces the damage caused by the engine plume as it clears. The Vandenberg SLC-4 TE is an older design and only retracts a few degrees.

Presumably there will be a new TE for SLC-6 unless they want to drive it up and down the coast road!

Online Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1791
  • Likes Given: 1289
« Reply #167 on: 12/05/2023 03:05 pm »
<snip>
Presumably there will be a new TE for SLC-6 unless they want to drive it up and down the coast road!
SpaceX might use the current SLC-6 pad structures to assembled and do final vertical payload integration with a new mobile service tower for the Falcon Heavy. If so, then only a few booster core transport trailers might be required.
« Last Edit: 12/05/2023 03:06 pm by Zed_Noir »

Offline jstrotha0975

• United States
  • Liked: 330
  • Likes Given: 2595
« Reply #168 on: 12/05/2023 04:15 pm »
<snip>
SpaceX might use the current SLC-6 pad structures to assembled and do final vertical payload integration with a new mobile service tower for the Falcon Heavy. If so, then only a few booster core transport trailers might be required.

Agreed. SpaceX won't need a TE if they modify the infrastructure already at SLC-6.

Online catdlr

« Reply #169 on: 12/06/2023 08:30 pm »
Cross-post to an article that has some info on SLC-6 and plans for VSFB.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=51761.msg2547091#msg2547091

Takeaways:

In addition to Falcon 9, SLC-6 will also allow SpaceX to have a West Coast launch site for the Falcon Heavy rocket, which employs three Falcon 9 first-stage boosters strapped together to carry larger payloads into orbit.

Plans also call for adding two additional landing sites at Vandenberg, so all three boosters on a Falcon Heavy launch could return to Vandenberg.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3085
  • Likes Given: 3817
« Reply #170 on: 12/06/2023 10:12 pm »

Takeaways:

In addition to Falcon 9, SLC-6 will also allow SpaceX to have a West Coast launch site for the Falcon Heavy rocket, which employs three Falcon 9 first-stage boosters strapped together to carry larger payloads into orbit.

This is the second reference in the last two weeks to recovering a FH core stage. 

That's very interesting after EM saying they weren't going to work on that further.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1064
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #171 on: 12/06/2023 10:27 pm »

Takeaways:

This is the second reference in the last two weeks to recovering a FH core stage. 

That's very interesting after EM saying they weren't going to work on that further.

Especially since polar missions require MORE performance, pushing the FH core harder. Seems like it would be hard to retain sufficient propellant for a core ASDS as is, nevermind a RTLS. I think someone misunderstood what was said, that the two additional pads are for side booster landings only, with the extant landing pad continuing to serve SLC-4E. I suspect keeping the landing pad clear means the pads are not entirely fungible in terms of scheduling.

Offline Brigantine

• NZ
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 445
« Reply #172 on: 12/06/2023 10:38 pm »
<Asteroza beat me to it>

especially interesting that they're talking about the FH centre stage doing RTLS. IIRC that reduces performance considerably even compared with RTLS/ASDS/RTLS, maybe even worse performance than expendable single stick.

Unless they're considering using a different, heavier upper stage from that SLC-6 VAB. Stretch 2nd? 5m 2nd? Mini Starship? But that would be even more surprising!
« Last Edit: 12/06/2023 10:39 pm by Brigantine »

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 1947
  • Likes Given: 1911
« Reply #173 on: 12/06/2023 11:37 pm »
Does Vandenberg SLC-6 include enough area for both FH launch and landing pads, and also a Starship pad?
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Online catdlr

« Reply #174 on: 12/07/2023 12:13 am »
Does Vandenberg SLC-6 include enough area for both FH launch and landing pads, and also a Starship pad?

well, in terms of acreage, yes it could.  But not both pads.  It will be either F9H or Starship. Right now my bet is on SLC-6 transform For F9H, as being reported.

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4186
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #175 on: 12/07/2023 12:25 am »

well, in terms of acreage, yes it could.  But not both pads.  It will be either F9H or Starship. Right now my bet is on SLC-6 transform For F9H, as being reported.
I can't find it, but I think we had this discussion before. Apparently, SLC-4 is quite large and has enough room for Starship in addition to F9.  I think SpaceX must build out for FH first because it must honor its NSSL contractual commitments.

Online catdlr

« Reply #176 on: 12/07/2023 01:09 am »
me

I can't find it, but I think we had this discussion before. Apparently, SLC-4 is quite large and has enough room for Starship in addition to F9.  I think SpaceX must build out for FH first because it must honor its NSSL contractual commitments.

Yes DanClemmensen, it's in L2. 
« Last Edit: 12/07/2023 01:32 am by catdlr »

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #177 on: 12/07/2023 01:35 am »

Takeaways:

Do you have a source on that?
There is at least one future FH launch where this is possible (Astrobotics Griffin lunar lander launch).
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1791
  • Likes Given: 1289
« Reply #178 on: 12/07/2023 02:29 am »
<snip>
especially interesting that they're talking about the FH centre stage doing RTLS. IIRC that reduces performance considerably even compared with RTLS/ASDS/RTLS, maybe even worse performance than expendable single stick.

Unless they're considering using a different, heavier upper stage from that SLC-6 VAB. Stretch 2nd? 5m 2nd? Mini Starship? But that would be even more surprising!
In between NSSL launches. SpaceX could use the Falcon Heavy from pad SLC-6 to deployed the maximum number of Starlink V2 mini comsats that the current payload fairing have volume for. Shouldn't required the full payload performance of the Falcon Heavy, so all 3 Falcon Heavy cores could be RTLS back to Vandenberg. SpaceX needs practice launching the Falcon Heavy for a higher launch rate. There might be many to cislunar and beyond payloads that might become viable with a frequent launching heavy launcher from a dedicated pad.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #179 on: 12/07/2023 04:24 pm »

Takeaways:

Do you have a source on that?
There is at least one future FH launch where this is possible (Astrobotics Griffin lunar lander launch).

I have a source that has indicated to me that future work towards improving recoverability of the core stage wasn't happening (as of about 6-8 months ago).
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography