Author Topic: planetary fields, salty body.  (Read 850 times)

Offline richardbatty

• uk
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
planetary fields, salty body.
« on: 05/19/2016 06:08 am »
I would like to know if studies could include magnetic field induction when looking for life in salty bodies ie. Europa. As well as gravity powered friction heating, could there be enough current induced to heat the ice and liquid water. Also and current induced could produce an electrolysis effect producing hydrogen and oxygen, potentially reacting out elements of saturated rocks and free minerals. All this could contribute to the chance of life formation in none volcanic bodies and aid it in others.

Offline Alf Fass

• The Abyss
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: planetary fields, salty body.
« Reply #1 on: 05/19/2016 08:39 pm »
Internal structure[edit]
It is estimated that Europa has an outer layer of water around 100 km (62 mi) thick; a part frozen as its crust, and a part as a liquid ocean underneath the ice. Recent magnetic-field data from the Galileo orbiter showed that Europa has an induced magnetic field through interaction with Jupiter's, which suggests the presence of a subsurface conductive layer.[31] This layer is likely a salty liquid-water ocean. Portions of the crust are estimated to have undergone a rotation of nearly 80°, nearly flipping over (see true polar wander), which would be unlikely if the ice were solidly attached to the mantle.[32] Europa probably contains a metallic iron core.[33]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)#Internal_structure
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?
John Maynard Keynes

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography