Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Starlink v1.0 L18 : CCSFS SLC-40 : 4 Feb 2021 (0619 UTC)  (Read 48212 times)

Offline Jansen

• Liked: 2234
  • Likes Given: 373
Discussion thread for Starlink v1.0 Launch 18, AKA RF Mission 1-1.

NSF Threads for Starlink v1.0 Launch 18: Discussion
NSF Articles for Starlink v1.0 Launch 18:
SpaceX launches first of twin Starlink missions, 45th Space Wing’s busy year continues

Successful launch February 4, 2021 at 01:19 am (0619 UTC) on Falcon 9 (booster 1060.5) from CCSFS SLC-40.  Successful ASDS landing on Of Course I Still Love You towed by tugboat Lauren Foss. Fairings successfully recovered from the water by Ms Tree and Ms Chief.

Payload: A batch of 60 Starlink satellites. Expected deployment orbit of approximately 250x291 km.

SpaceX is targeting Thursday, Feburary 4 for launch of 60 Starlink satellites from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. The instantaneous window is at 1:19 a.m. EST, or 6:19 UTC.

The Falcon 9 first stage rocket booster supporting this mission previously flew on four missions: the launches of GPS III Space Vehicle 03 and Turksat 5A and two Starlink missions. Following stage separation, SpaceX will land Falcon 9’s first stage on the “Of Course I Still Love You” droneship, which will be located in the Atlantic Ocean. One half of Falcon 9’s fairing previously flew on the SAOCOM-1B mission, and the other previously flew in support of the GPS III Space Vehicle 03 mission.

Please use the Starlink Discussion Thread for all general discussion on Starlink.

Check the Starlink Index Thread for links to more Starlink information.

L2 SpaceX:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=60.0

From a previous mission's Press Kit:
Each Starlink satellite weights approximately 260 kg and features a compact, flat-panel design that minimizes volume, allowing for a dense launch stack to take full advantage of Falcon 9’s launch capabilities. With four powerful phased array and two parabolic antennas on each satellite ... At end of their life cycle, the satellites will utilize their on-board propulsion system to deorbit over the course of a few months. In the unlikely event their propulsion system becomes inoperable, the satellites will burn up in Earth’s atmosphere within 1-5 years, significantly less than the hundreds or thousands of years required at higher altitudes. Further, Starlink components are designed for full demisability.

Starlink is targeting service in the Northern U.S. and Canada in 2020, rapidly expanding to near global coverage of the populated world by 2021. Additional information on the system can be found at starlink.com.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 11:49 pm by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

1892-EX-ST-2020 Starlink RF Mission 1-1 STA application
« Last Edit: 12/18/2020 03:15 pm by Jansen »

Offline RocketLover0119

• Space Geek
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 6710
  • Likes Given: 1606
What’s different about the name and why?  ???
"The Starship has landed"

Offline Jansen

What’s different about the name and why?  ???

Not sure, just going by what’s on the paperwork.

Usually SpaceX uses Mission 1xxx as a temporary placeholder, but this time they’ve changed things up with a new naming scheme. It could be an indication that something is different with the satellites.

We’ll see what SpaceX does closer to the launch date and we get more details. If there is no functional difference, it’ll prob just go back to the usual nomenclature.
« Last Edit: 12/18/2020 05:05 pm by Jansen »

Online Josh_from_Canada

Could this be a new 1.1 satellite design?
Launches Seen: Atlas-V OA-7,

Offline Jansen

It’s possible, but there are other missions planned such as 2-1, 3-1, etc. so can’t just go by the name.

Another theory is that they will go to different orbital shells, like the new polar orbits.
« Last Edit: 12/18/2020 06:06 pm by Jansen »

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2523
  • Likes Given: 3225

It’s possible, but there are other missions planned such as 2-1, 3-1, etc. so can’t just go by the name.

Another theory is that they will go to different orbital shells, like the new polar orbits.

To point out the obvious, maybe this has something to do with the laser interlinks. 

Could be both, laser interlinks and polar orbits.  The laser interlinks would be almost required for the polar satellites, ground stations in the far north and south latitudes would be prohibitively expensive.
Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

Offline Jansen

On closer inspection, the ASDS locations are the same as the other Starlink launches. That rules out polar orbits.

So most likely just a new nomenclature, or maybe some modifications (like lasers).
« Last Edit: 12/20/2020 11:56 am by Jansen »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 3973
  • Likes Given: 3703
On closer inspection, the ASDS locations are the same as the other Starlink launches. That rules out polar orbits.

So most likely just a new nomenclature, or maybe some modifications (like lasers).

Musk’s dislike of acronyms is well known.
It’s not going to lessen if the addition of laser cross-links is indicated by the acronym for “Radio Frequency”.

I’ve heard things that suggest that laser cross-links are not on the upcoming satellites.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 27
Reflight? To replenish birds that have deorbited or malfunctioned?

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 1622
  • Likes Given: 1068
Related to "Starlink RF test engineers"?

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=0d536252a68fc1c7&from=serp

Mark Handley speaks of "Starlink's RF links" via ground stations as the alternative to laser inter-satellite links (ISL):

https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10090242/1/hotnets-ucl.pdf

Guess: "Starlink RF" = Starlink V1.1 (next development step, still using ground radio links), with Starlink V2.0 to come as e. g. "Starlink ISL" with lasers.
« Last Edit: 12/23/2020 06:45 pm by PM3 »
"Never, never be afraid of the truth." -- Jim Bridenstine

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1371
  • Likes Given: 1058
Ben Cooper lists two Starlink launches in January and at least one in February. I'm not sure if the second launch in January is supposed to be L17 or RF 1-1.

A Falcon 9 will launch the seventeenth batch of Starlink internet satellites
on January TBD. A Falcon 9 will launch the eighteenth Starlink batch on January TBD. And a
Falcon 9 will launch the nineteenth Starlink batch on February TBD.

http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html

Offline Jansen

Ben Cooper lists two Starlink launches in January and at least one in February. I'm not sure if the second launch in January is supposed to be L17 or RF 1-1.

A Falcon 9 will launch the seventeenth batch of Starlink internet satellites
on January TBD. A Falcon 9 will launch the eighteenth Starlink batch on January TBD. And a
Falcon 9 will launch the nineteenth Starlink batch on February TBD.

http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html

January
Starlink v1.0 L16
Starlink v1.0 L17

Early February
Starlink RF 1-1

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3234
  • Likes Given: 4141
Could the “R” be for Rural and indicate the launch is subsidized by the FCC grant (“F”=“Funded”)?  I can imagine SpaceX might want funded flights to be tracked separately.  I don’t know if the timing works or not.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11322
  • Likes Given: 5054
Could the “R” be for Rural and indicate the launch is subsidized by the FCC grant (“F”=“Funded”)?  I can imagine SpaceX might want funded flights to be tracked separately.  I don’t know if the timing works or not.

No.  All of the satellites pass over the same locations.  They don't have money from the FCC yet.

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3234
  • Likes Given: 4141
Thanks.  When is funding supposed to start?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
They have to fill out another more detailed application form and have it approved, then I think the first year's funding is available, which should be 10% of the total.  Should be in the first half of the year?  The FCC money is for building out the whole network and providing service to end users, not specifically for launching satellites.

Offline Elthiryel

• Kraków, Poland
  • Liked: 928
  • Likes Given: 10470
According to Next Spaceflight, this mission is going to launch NET February 1.

https://nextspaceflight.com/launches/details/2673
GO for launch, GO for age of reflight

Offline klod

• Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 418

This is insane. 

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO

This is insane. 

After tomorrow there are 5 Starlinks in a row, that is also Insane!

Looking forward to finding out what 'RF' means.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 4778
  • Likes Given: 40971

NET 1 February could be taken logically as = to NET February.  See:
Ben Cooper's Launch Photography launch viewing page, updated January 20; my bold:
FALCON 9

The next SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral will launch the Transporter-1 small-satellite rideshare mission on January 22 at 9:24am EST. The launch window stretches 58 minutes to 10:22am EST. Then, a Falcon 9 from pad 39A will launch the eighteenth Starlink batch on January 27, around 8 or 8:30am EST. And a Falcon 9 will launch the nineteenth Starlink batch on February TBA. Other upcoming launches include Starlink missions in February TBA.

If SpaceX continues to alternate launches from LC-39A and SLC-40, then this launch would be from SLC-40, following tomorrow's scheduled Transporter-1 launch.  We'll see how quick a turn-around that SpaceX can do!

We'll also see how many Starlink flights will go before the Crew-2 and SXM-8 launches this spring!
« Last Edit: 01/21/2021 09:09 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.)
My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!"

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
  • Liked: 2410
  • Likes Given: 2416
NET 1 February could be taken logically as = to NET February.  See:

Michael doesn't use that notation.  If it were just NET February, he would have it at the end of month (in the list at https://nextspaceflight.com/launches/) and it would say "NET February, 2021".  In fact that's what he has for L19, L20, and L21.

Edit: Added clarification.
« Last Edit: 01/21/2021 09:51 pm by Ken the Bin »

Offline Jansen

If SpaceX continues to alternate launches from LC-39A and SLC-40, then this launch would be from SLC-40, following tomorrow's scheduled Transporter-1 launch.  We'll see how quick a turn-around that SpaceX can do!

9 day turnaround on SLC-40 has been done before several times. The primary constraint I see would be ASDS availability. The new 24 hour dock unloading turnaround will help a lot, but transit time is still an issue.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2021 02:18 am by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

The most likely booster for this launch based on availability is B1059.6, with a 44 day turnaround from Dec 19 - Feb 01.

Alternatively B1063.2 if it is not on the west coast, with a 71 day turnaround from Nov21 - Feb 01.

Those are the only two boosters available in that timeframe.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2021 03:13 am by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

Offline Jansen

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1353574169288396800

So no laser interlinks, which makes it doubtful that there are enough major differences to warrant a v1.1 at this time.

Possible, but unlikely. Hopefully more details as we approach launch date.
« Last Edit: 01/25/2021 03:32 pm by Jansen »

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post; confirmation of launch pad; my bold:
http://www.launchphotography.com/Launch_Viewing_Guide.html
FALCON 9

The next SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral will launch the eighteenth Starlink batch from pad 39A on January 29 at around 8am EST. Then, a Falcon 9 will launch the nineteenth Starlink batch from pad 40 on February TBA. A Falcon 9 will launch the twentieth Starlink batch on February TBA. Upcoming launches include multiple Starlink missions on February TBA.

Offline Jansen

Offline Jansen

The most likely booster for this launch based on availability is B1059.6, with a 44 day turnaround from Dec 19 - Feb 01.

Alternatively B1063.2 if it is not on the west coast, with a 71 day turnaround from Nov21 - Feb 01.

Still most likely to be B1059.6, with a 47 day turnaround from Dec 19 - Feb 04.

Offline Jansen

Offline whitelancer64

I'm pretty sure 63.2 is reserved for NASA's DART mission.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Jansen

I'm pretty sure 63.2 is reserved for NASA's DART mission.

Not exclusively, in the same way B1058 was slated to fly CRS-21 for months, but still had other payloads in between.

Nonetheless, the point is that there are only two possibilities, with B1059.6 the most likely.
« Last Edit: 01/27/2021 11:53 pm by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post; probable delay into beyond February 4; my bold:
FALCON 9

The next SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral will launch the eighteenth Starlink batch from pad 39A on February at ~6am EST. Launch times for Starlink launches get around 20-22 miutes earlier each day. Then, a Falcon 9 will launch the nineteenth Starlink batch from pad 40 on February 4 earliest at 1:19am EST. A Falcon 9 will launch the twentieth Starlink batch on February TBA. Upcoming launches include more Starlink missions on February TBA.

I think Ben is saying:
Because of the delay of Starlink v1.0 Flight 17 beyond February 1, Starlink v1.0 Flight 18 will also be delayed.

Each day's delay moves the launch time 20-22 minutes earlier.

February 4: 06:19 UTC,
February 5: ~06:00 UTC,
February 6: ~05:40 UTC, rounding up to ~06:00 UTC,
and so on.

We shall see.

Edited
« Last Edit: 01/30/2021 07:29 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Jansen

The time has not changed for this launch yet. I think you got the mission numbers and timezones mixed up.
« Last Edit: 01/30/2021 06:58 pm by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

Cross-post; probable delay into beyond February 4; my bold:
FALCON 9

The next SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral will launch the eighteenth Starlink batch from pad 39A on February at ~6am EST. Launch times for Starlink launches get around 20-22 miutes earlier each day. Then, a Falcon 9 will launch the nineteenth Starlink batch from pad 40 on February 4 earliest at 1:19am EST. A Falcon 9 will launch the twentieth Starlink batch on February TBA. Upcoming launches include more Starlink missions on February TBA.

I think Ben is saying:
Because of the delay of Starlink v1.0 Flight 17 beyond February 1, Starlink v1.0 Flight 18 will also be delayed.

Each day's delay moves the launch time 20-22 minutes earlier.

February 4: 06:19 UTC,
February 5: ~06:00 UTC,
February 6: ~05:40 UTC, rounding up to ~06:00 UTC,
and so on.

We shall see.

Edited

There is no delay to this launch yet. SpaceX can launch 2 F9s on the same day within a few hours.

The 6am EST launch time indicates a Feb 3 launch for Starlink v1.0 L17.

That is different from the 0619 UTC launch for Starlink v1.0 L18 a day later.

You had put a 0600 UTC time for this launch, which doesn’t make sense.
« Last Edit: 01/30/2021 07:41 pm by Jansen »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 51274
  • Likes Given: 21786
https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1355683323033645063

Departure!

OCISLY droneship is outbound for SpaceX's 19th Starlink mission (V1 L18), NET Feb 4th.

Tug Lauren Foss is towing OCISLY ~633km downrange.

Via @NASASpaceflight Fleetcam

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
  • Liked: 2410
  • Likes Given: 2416
NGA notices:

Quote from: NGA
310356Z JAN 21
NAVAREA IV 94/21(11,26).
WESTERN NORTH ATLANTIC.
FLORIDA.
1. HAZARDOUS OPERATIONS, ROCKET LAUNCHING
   040604Z TO 040722Z, ALTERNATE
   050543Z TO 050701Z FEB
   IN AREAS BOUND BY:
   A. 28-40-02N 080-38-23W, 29-07-00N 080-03-00W,
      28-58-00N 079-57-00W, 28-33-00N 080-20-00W,
      28-30-06N 080-32-51W.
   B. 31-41-00N 077-09-00W, 33-17-00N 076-03-00W,
      33-31-00N 074-59-00W, 33-10-00N 074-36-00W,
      32-27-00N 074-46-00W, 31-25-00N 076-53-00W.
2. CANCEL THIS MSG 050801Z FEB 21.
Quote from: NGA
310415Z JAN 21
HYDROPAC 395/21(GEN).
INDIAN OCEAN.
WESTERN SOUTH PACIFIC.
1. HAZARDOUS OPERATIONS, SPACE DEBRIS
   040812Z TO 040907Z FEB, ALTERNATE
   050751Z TO 050846Z FEB IN AREA BOUND BY
   29-43S 060-07E, 24-55S 064-27E,
   38-45S 084-30E, 45-12S 099-45E,
   49-46S 119-13E, 50-42S 138-19E,
   48-50S 156-44E, 51-46S 158-08E,
   54-42S 148-32E, 56-20S 131-03E,
   55-52S 107-50E, 49-11S 085-05E,
   34-32S 064-13E.
2. CANCEL THIS MSG 080946Z FEB 21.

Offline Jansen

OCISLY is being towed by Lauren Foss, ETA gives plenty of time before launch.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2021 07:43 am by Jansen »

Offline Elthiryel

• Kraków, Poland
Next Spaceflight confirms that booster 1059.6 will be used for this mission, as expected. 47 days from the previous launch of 1059 (NROL-108) if the mission is not delayed.

Offline Elthiryel

• Kraków, Poland
L-3 weather forecast is up. Over 90% GO for the primary day, with a moderate risk of unacceptable booster recovery weather and 90% GO for the backup day, also with a moderate risk of unacceptable booster recovery weather.

« Last Edit: 02/01/2021 02:30 pm by Elthiryel »

Offline Jansen

Offline Elthiryel

• Kraków, Poland
L-2 weather forecast is up. The booster recovery weather risk is now Mod-Low for the primary day and Low-Mod for the secondary day. The main probabilities remain unchanged. It's now planned earlier than another Starlink mission.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1356891369860644864

Departure!

Ms. Tree and Ms. Chief are outbound from the Port of Morehead City for the SpaceX Starlink double-header.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
L-1 launch weather forecast, 90+ % GO

Offline Fmedici

• Italy
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 229
If this mission gets launched before the other one will this keep the name "L18"?

Offline Jansen

The mission name will not change. It is designated when manifested.

Offline Elthiryel

• Kraków, Poland
The launches page has finally been updated.

https://www.spacex.com/launches/index.html
SpaceX is targeting Thursday, Feburary 4 for launch of 60 Starlink satellites from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. The instantaneous window is at 1:19 a.m. EST, or 6:19 UTC.

The Falcon 9 first stage rocket booster supporting this mission previously flew on four missions: the launches of GPS III Space Vehicle 03 and Turksat 5A and two Starlink missions. Following stage separation, SpaceX will land Falcon 9’s first stage on the “Of Course I Still Love You” droneship, which will be located in the Atlantic Ocean. One half of Falcon 9’s fairing previously flew on the SAOCOM-1B mission, and the other previously flew in support of the GPS III Space Vehicle 03 mission.

You can watch a live webcast of this mission, which will begin about 15 minutes prior to liftoff, by clicking the image above.

I think it's the first time when SpaceX doesn't give any mission number here (e.g. the previous mission was called "seventeenth Starlink mission").

Webcast:

EDIT: And surprise, from the description it looks like it's booster 1060.5, not 1059.6.
« Last Edit: 02/03/2021 08:34 pm by Elthiryel »

Offline Jansen

If it is B1060.5, it would be a record turnaround of 27 days, 4 hours, and 4 minutes from the launch of Turksat 5A on January 8.

So basically SpaceX is now able to fly the same booster twice in a month.
« Last Edit: 02/03/2021 09:40 pm by Jansen »

Offline SMS

• Regular
    • Astronauts & their spaceflights
  • Liked: 1985
  • Likes Given: 245
---
SMS ;-).

Offline soltasto

• Italy, Earth
  • Liked: 886
  • Likes Given: 40
Captured "Press Kit" with OCR

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Has Falcon rolled to the pad yet?
EDIT: Yes, BOTH are currently on the pads, as of February 3 afternoon EST.
https://twitter.com/Cygnusx112/status/1357067888646053890
Not often we get to see TWO Falcon 9’s vertical at the same time. First launch in a few hours off of LC-40 at 1:19am L. LC-39A is Friday at 5:14am L.
Left Tweet image is of SLC-40; right Tweet image is of LC-39A.
The Falcon for this thread's launch coverage is on SLC-40.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 02:11 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Jansen

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 664
  • Likes Given: 225
Talk of camera issues in delaying the NSF youtube stream. The last SpaceX tweet 3 hours ago still said said the mission is go.
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
NSF now live.
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 05:10 am by scr00chy »

Offline Jansen

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
Go for propellent load per NSF feed. Talk of recovery weather being an issue.

Offline Jansen

Offline Jansen

T-20 venting
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 05:02 am by Jansen »

Online Chris Bergin

« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 06:36 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Jansen

2nd stage LOX loading underway

Offline Jansen

Falcon 9 begins engine chill prior to launch

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
SpaceX feed:

Offline Jansen

Strongback retract

Offline Jansen

Stage 1 LOX load complete
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 05:18 am by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

F9 on startup
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 05:19 am by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

Liftoff!
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 05:21 am by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

MECO, stage sep, and fairing separation
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 05:24 am by Jansen »

Online Chris Bergin

**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Jansen

Stage 1 entry burn
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 05:27 am by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

Stuck the landing
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 05:32 am by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

Coast phase for 35 minutes. Back at T+45 minutes

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3582
  • Likes Given: 1908
Wow!!!  What outstanding S1 Recovery coverage.

Outside the first RTLS landing and any FH side cores, and maybe even then, this is my favorite recovery coverage ever.  The illumination of the ocean was amazing.

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1013
  • Likes Given: 464
SpX hired an ex-Orbital ATK telemetry-visualizations programmer?
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 05:35 am by HVM »

Online Chris Bergin

Offline Jansen

LOS Newfoundland

Offline Zardar

• Limerick, Ireland
  • Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 322
Probable sighting of Upper stage and payload over limerick Ireland, Just south of Alkaid in Ursa Major at ~06:34

Offline Jansen

They keep this up and they're going to need a bigger more boats. Also, that video from the barge was solid the whole way through. Did they just improve their antenna stabilization or are they using Starlink to relay video and data from the barge?

The need for more ASDS has been discussed repeatedly (search for A Shortfall of Gravitas).

The video is actually usually pretty good. The LOS on the landing is due to the intense vibration causing temporary signal lock failure.

Offline Jansen

Probable sighting of Upper stage and payload over limerick Ireland, Just south of Alkaid in Ursa Major at ~06:34

Probably

Offline aviators99

• Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 6
They keep this up and they're going to need a bigger more boats. Also, that video from the barge was solid the whole way through. Did they just improve their antenna stabilization or are they using Starlink to relay video and data from the barge?

The need for more ASDS has been discussed repeatedly (search for A Shortfall of Gravitas).

The video is actually usually pretty good. The LOS on the landing is due to the intense vibration causing temporary signal lock failure.

But can't they record it to an SDCard or something and show it to us after it returns to port?  It would be nice to see some more clear videos of landings...
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 06:03 pm by aviators99 »

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net

But can't they record it to an SDCard or something and show it to us after it returns to port?  It would be nice to see some more clear vodeps of landings...

Yes, they record the landings locally, but they don't always share the photos and videos afterwards (especially these days since it's pretty routine).

You can see all the landing videos from previous missions here: https://www.elonx.net/spacex-first-stage-landing-attempts/

Offline Jansen

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3582
  • Likes Given: 1908
Forgive me if I missed it but I don't recall them ever giving us S1 telemetry all the way to the drone ship.  ISTR we've had some in the past, but I don't think I've seen it all the way down.   Seeing it tick by is so much more visceral than the excellent plots that are produced.

Staged at about 7900 km/h and 67 km
Topped out at 7100 km/h and 115km.
Velocity drifted up to 8066 km/h at entry burn. 
Entry burn dropped that to 5750 km/h.
Only picked up 6 km/h before the reorientation took hold.
And bled enormous velocity all the way to the landing burn.

That was fascinating the watch.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 11:04 pm by AC in NC »

Offline Jansen

Offline Jansen

MVac engine chill has begun

Offline Jansen

SES successful, nominal insertion orbit

Starlink deployment in 15 mins
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 06:09 am by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

AOS Tasmania
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 06:28 am by Jansen »

Offline Jansen

Deployment looks successful, LOS shortly after deployment started.

Another nice job by Emmy award winning host Kate Tice!
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 06:31 am by Jansen »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 7836
  • Likes Given: 312

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator

Offline Jansen

Online Chris Bergin

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1357224748112093184

This was a tough one

twitter.com/erdayastronaut/status/1357225154359808000

What made it tough? Did you guys expand the envelope again on landing conditions or performance?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1357225550574743554

High seas & wind

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1357225604974788608

Stunning Falcon 9 launch of 60 Starlink satellites on a crisp, cold, moonlit Florida night.

https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1357228168202113024

(Two-frame stack, captured sequentially with the same camera. One frame exposes for the stars and moon; next frame captures the much brighter launch.)

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3146
  • Likes Given: 695

STARLINK V1.0-LAUNCH 18

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1357321432980725761

Ms. Tree looks to have finished fairing recovery work at the Starlink LZ and appears to be en-route to Port Canaveral.

If this is the case, and the other Starlink mission launches tommorow, Ms. Tree won't take part. Unsure on Ms. Chief's current status as tracker is offline.

Offline OneSpeed

• Liked: 3663
  • Likes Given: 1629
Forgive me if I missed it but I don't recall them ever giving us S1 telemetry all the way to the drone ship.

We've had complete S1 telemetry for the NROL-76 RTLS mission, but you are correct, never for an ASDS mission, and never for both stages. I hope this innovation continues.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 999
  • Likes Given: 1251
Hey, some of you might want to take a close look at the Mission Control audio feed here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dzxSKe7TF0I

The ground track graphic system was messed up and the regular coverage stream switched away from it for about 30 minutes, but the MC audio stream stayed on it the whole time.  At 49m into this video you can see them trying to troubleshoot it, especially for the first few minutes.  At one point you see them messing with URLs at the top of the screen (internal "launchx" server, sorry).  Finally at 1h19m they got it to stabilize.

At a couple points it shows them switching between the -17 and -18 flights, so I wonder if the order reversal exposed an existing bug in that handling.  Or maybe it's just a newer system (witness the new Stage 1 telemetry that One Speed discusses above) and it just had a new bug.  Anyway, we only have to wait a day to see it again :)  EDIT: nope, several more days ...

(thanks Starship_SpaceX for the cryptic tip)
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 08:10 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1357353522866524161

Falcon 9 launches 60 Starlink satellites to orbit – mission from pad 39A on deck

twitter.com/spacex/status/1357353526163197953

This mission marked the fifth launch and landing of this booster; it last flew less than one month ago

https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1357353527169798144

Rapid reusability is key to reducing the cost of traveling to space
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 02:45 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Jansen

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
A 27 day turn, especially for a ASDS landing is amazing.

It will be fun to see how this proceeds across the booster fleet.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8138
  • Likes Given: 5181
https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1357214634911166466

When I first saw the landing on the livestream, I did not expect the landing burn come from so far left of the pictures... I was thinking "oh no it will miss the barge!". But no, I had forgotten how the first stage can approach from a 30-45 degree angle when the landing burn ignites, which then cancels out the horizontal velocity as well as the vertical.  8)

Offline Jansen

Offline Jansen

Offline Jansen

Based on a 7kn speed, I’m estimating OCISLY and B1060 to arrive at Port Canaveral around 4-6pm EST on Saturday Feb 6, just before sunset.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1357632128910000128

Ms. Tree and Ms. Chief will be arriving at Port Canaveral with the fairing halves from the recent Starlink mission in the next two hours.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Arriving now on NSF Fleetcam

« Last Edit: 02/05/2021 11:17 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1357667627825573889

Arrival! Ms. Tree and Ms. Chief have returned from the recent Starlink mission.

Ms. Chief's half appears to be in good condition under the blue tarp. Ms. Tree's half looks damaged and is sitting at an unusual angle

As captured live on @NASASpaceflight Fleetcam
« Last Edit: 02/05/2021 11:38 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/madeonearthfou1/status/1357665604656840707

They both seem intact, but one of them is wonky. @SpaceX  @SpaceXFleet  #Starlink V1 L-18

Offline Jansen

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1357710473899237377

Second fairing half unloaded from Ms. Chief.

youtube.com/watch?v=gnt2wZ…

Offline Jansen

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1358116644938252288

Predicting the arrival of OCISLY droneship and B1060 at Port Canaveral tomorrow morning (7th), around dawn.

Offline Jansen

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1358378618477572096

No delay due to weather this morning. OCISLY droneship will be inbound very soon!

The SpaceX boarding party is currently loading up live on @NASASpaceflight Fleetcam.

« Last Edit: 02/07/2021 10:36 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/kyle_m_photo/status/1358396275146768386

B1060.5 is in the jetty. #SpaceXFleet #SpaceX

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Now visible on NSF Fleetcam
« Last Edit: 02/07/2021 12:08 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/gregscott_photo/status/1358401569264439297

OCISLY & B1060.5 just returned to Port Canaveral from the #Starlink 19 mission. After a definitely rough ride thru heavy Thunderstorms, rough seas & Tornados in the area the booster looks to be in good shape. Another one in the books. #SpaceX #NASA #spacexfleet #Science @elonmusk

Edit to add:

https://twitter.com/kyle_m_photo/status/1358402688610934784

Octograbber doing its thing. #SpaceXFleet #SpaceX
« Last Edit: 02/07/2021 12:26 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1358406087213539330

⚡⚡

Thanks to @HarryStrangerPG for the timestamp!

Live on @NASASpaceflight Fleetcam:
youtube.com/watch?v=gnt2wZ…

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
From NSF Fleetcam

twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1358511704586526722

Falcon 9 is about to be lifted to the dockside stand.

⏩ youtube.com/watch?v=gnt2wZ…

https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1358513931904577539

There it goes!

Offline Jansen

Falcon 9 is about to be lifted to the dockside stand.

Pretty sure that is a new record.

Offline Jansen

Offline Jansen

On pedestal, legs being raised

Offline litton4

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 70
That pic above raises a question - what is the state of the lightning  protection for the booster when it's on the barge?
Dave Condliffe

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/goaliebear88/status/1359211548271652871

@SpaceX Falcon 9 B1060.5  On its way back to a hif...

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2865
  • Likes Given: 714
That pic above raises a question - what is the state of the lightning  protection for the booster when it's on the barge?
I bet there's integral ground and ESD protection on the stage.  The body is made of aluminum, so this shouldn't be very hard, just bypassing around sensitive components on the exterior and a ground strap down the legs.  This would provide some protection for lightning strikes during ascent as well.  The stage is vented after landing, so there won't be propellants to worry about.

The large lightning arrestors at the launch pad probably protect the pad infrastructure as much as they protect the rocket, and are partly historical artifacts.  I don't think any pad which SpaceX has built "from scratch" has the same sort of elaborate lightning protection as the kennedy pads do.

But the first layer of protection is most likely, "don't".  Don't roll out when lightning is expected, don't launch through cumulus clouds, don't land through them, don't sail through thunderstorms.
« Last Edit: 02/09/2021 06:28 pm by cscott »

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2337
  • Likes Given: 2406
Any word on what day Starlink 18 will launch?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Any word on what day Starlink 18 will launch?

It already launched.  Starlink L19 launches Saturday night, and L17 launches sometime after that.

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2337
  • Likes Given: 2406
Ok, it was 17 I was thinking about.

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 99
Were the 2 fairings recovered on this flight...didn't see any photos posted of them arriving at the Port...thank you!

Offline Jansen

Were the 2 fairings recovered on this flight...didn't see any photos posted of them arriving at the Port...thank you!

You can always go to the top post for that info, as it provides a summary of the launch.

Successful launch February 4, 2021 at 01:19 am (0619 UTC) on Falcon 9 (booster 1060.5) from CCSFS SLC-40.  Successful ASDS landing on Of Course I Still Love You towed by tugboat Lauren Foss. Fairings successfully recovered from the water by Ms Tree and Ms Chief.

Edit: Also literally at least a dozen pictures in the thread on the previous page.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=52617.msg2188519#msg2188519
« Last Edit: 02/18/2021 04:30 am by Jansen »

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 99

You can always go to the top post for that info, as it provides a summary of the launch.

Edit: Also literally at least a dozen pictures in the thread on the previous page.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=52617.msg2188519#msg2188519

Don't know how I missed that...thank you.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography