Author Topic: Forum Bug Reports  (Read 70027 times)

Offline Yellowstone10

Re: Forum Bug Reports
« Reply #120 on: 08/04/2023 10:39 am »
Not a bug, really, just a weird forum behavior I've noticed before that I'm curious if there's a reason for - when I'm posting screencaps in a thread, any pictures with people in them seem to get a lot more view counts than those of space. For instance, in the NG-19 thread (https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=57030.0) at time of posting, most of the space pics have 5-10 views, but the two images of Mission Control (and even the generic NASA press photos of Woody Hoburg and Frank Rubio) have north of 40. Any idea why? Can't imagine Mission Control is that much more interesting to look at than a Cygnus space capsule.

Offline nicp

• Retired software engineer.
  • UK
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 1379
« Reply #121 on: 08/06/2023 01:10 pm »
I have a stone age iPhone SE (first gen) and recently I have had occasional load failures of forum pages. This happened an hour ago but unfortunately the phone reloaded the page successfully when I got home, so I didn't get a chance to take a screenshot.
I certainly will the next time it happens. The issue has been happening occasionally for a month or two.

iPhone SE (1st gen). Safari, iOs 15.7.7

The issue seems to happen when loading of forum pages is particularly slow. Now, my i.d. is only 4 characters yet sometimes I can type that and it will take the better part of 10 seconds to display it.

I don't believe this is the fault of the phone - it may be old and little better than a tin can and string, but it manages the BBC News, CNN. Scientific American et al without trouble.

Any suggestions most welcome (buy a tin can and string?), or similar experiences out there?

Best Regards,
Nic
For Vectron!

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82741
  • Likes Given: 37228
« Reply #122 on: 08/12/2023 06:56 am »
Sigh, the inevitable has happened - links to tweets now start with x.com rather than twitter.com and as a result donít automatically expand in a post to show the tweet.

Right now manually changing x to twitter seems to work. But I donít know how long for.

Hopefully the plug-in that handles tweets will have an update soon? Or maybe we can tweak the code ourselves?

Offline nicp

• Retired software engineer.
  • UK
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 1379
« Reply #123 on: 08/18/2023 10:12 am »
I have a stone age iPhone SE (first gen) and recently I have had occasional load failures of forum pages. This happened an hour ago but unfortunately the phone reloaded the page successfully when I got home, so I didn't get a chance to take a screenshot.
I certainly will the next time it happens. The issue has been happening occasionally for a month or two.

iPhone SE (1st gen). Safari, iOs 15.7.7

The issue seems to happen when loading of forum pages is particularly slow. Now, my i.d. is only 4 characters yet sometimes I can type that and it will take the better part of 10 seconds to display it.

I don't believe this is the fault of the phone - it may be old and little better than a tin can and string, but it manages the BBC News, CNN. Scientific American et al without trouble.

Any suggestions most welcome (buy a tin can and string?), or similar experiences out there?

Best Regards,
Nic
I hit the problem of a page not loading again yesterday. Let's see if I can attach the screenshot I took...
For Vectron!

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82741
  • Likes Given: 37228
« Reply #124 on: 03/08/2024 08:47 am »
There seems to be a problem currently with new picture attachments. Thumbnails are not viewable, neither are the full images when downloaded from the forum.

Hereís one example from my posts today: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39182.msg2574996#msg2574996

Another example for a different poster: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43040.msg2574991#msg2574991

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9572
  • Likes Given: 8197
« Reply #125 on: 03/08/2024 08:48 am »
There seems to be a problem currently with new picture attachments. Thumbnails are not viewable, neither are the full images when downloaded from the forum.

Hereís one example from my posts today: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39182.msg2574996#msg2574996

Another example for a different poster: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43040.msg2574991#msg2574991

and now it's occurring with me also, here is my post

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=60479.msg2575014#msg2575014
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...I don't create this stuff, I just report it.

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9641
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #126 on: 03/08/2024 10:00 am »
Worse, the dead thumbnails have their width set much wider than the post area (1948 px), breaking all posts in that thread by preventing text from wrapping until far off screen.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9572
  • Likes Given: 8197
« Reply #127 on: 03/08/2024 10:10 am »
Worse, the dead thumbnails have their width set much wider than the post area (1948 px), breaking all posts in that thread by preventing text from wrapping until far off screen.

THanks edzieba, I saw that but couldn't explain it, You did well.  Tony
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...I don't create this stuff, I just report it.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #128 on: 03/08/2024 12:31 pm »
Mark is aware. Standby.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #129 on: 03/08/2024 12:58 pm »
Issue is fixed. Posts in the few hours during the issue will need to be reuploaded attachments or redoing the post please.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online mn

• United States
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 341
« Reply #130 on: 03/12/2024 07:19 pm »
Forum often slow/freeze on mobile.

Lately the forum will often freeze for a few seconds while browsing a topic, returning to the list page will often take a good 10 - 15 seconds.

I did some checking in chrome dev tools, I could not find anything obvious, but I did see tons of traffic to various twitter urls, I don't know if this is related to the hangups but definitely seems to be downloading several MB of images that are not needed on the page. see attached image.

I understand this is being called by twitter scripts so I don't know how much control we have over what the script does, but it is also possible that the script acts according to some parameters we are setting that we do control.

Offline Hyperborealis

• Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 402
« Reply #131 on: 03/12/2024 10:52 pm »
Confirming the above report. NSF website reliably freezes my mobile browser. 

Wonder if the ad images at page bottom are responsible?

Online mn

• United States
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 341
« Reply #132 on: 03/14/2024 02:22 am »
Forum often slow/freeze on mobile.

Lately the forum will often freeze for a few seconds while browsing a topic, returning to the list page will often take a good 10 - 15 seconds.

I did some checking in chrome dev tools, I could not find anything obvious, but I did see tons of traffic to various twitter urls, I don't know if this is related to the hangups but definitely seems to be downloading several MB of images that are not needed on the page. see attached image.

I understand this is being called by twitter scripts so I don't know how much control we have over what the script does, but it is also possible that the script acts according to some parameters we are setting that we do control.

Another related issue, sometimes I'll be in a topic page, I'll hit back to return to the unread topics index and it'll hang for 10-15 seconds before finally showing the index, and once in a while the index will be empty with the message 'no unread topics found since your last visit', which is of course not correct, there were plenty of unread topics a minute ago.

And BTW when there are no unread topics there is supposed to be another link 'try all unread topics', but that link does not appear in mobile, only on desktop.

Edit: I should clarify that I am referring to the 'mobile friendly' full theme, not the stripped down mobile theme. (Lots of work was put in to making the full theme mobile friendly, and then it got dropped half way thru, still lots of room for improvement)
« Last Edit: 03/15/2024 01:23 pm by mn »

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3532
  • Likes Given: 1193
« Reply #133 on: 05/18/2024 12:03 pm »
The forum will not display posts from X now that the site address is X.com and not twitter.com
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online Tywin

« Reply #134 on: 05/18/2024 04:38 pm »
The forum will not display posts from X now that the site address is X.com and not twitter.com

This problem don't have solution?
The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #135 on: 05/18/2024 07:10 pm »

This problem don't have solution?

You can still use twitter instead of x in the URL posted to solve that, but we'll eventually find the plugin to work for the X.com ones

Like:

https://x.com/thejackbeyer/status/1791830022505873833 - not yet

https://twitter.com/thejackbeyer/status/1791830022505873833 - yay
« Last Edit: 05/18/2024 07:10 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2536
  • Likes Given: 2206
« Reply #136 on: 05/18/2024 08:41 pm »
As a crude but immediate workaround, can you use the badword substitution dictionary (the one that turns "cryptо" into "scam") to replace httpː//x.com/ with httpː//twitter.com/ in posts?

« Last Edit: 05/18/2024 08:45 pm by Paul451 »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography