Author Topic: NSF at IAC Mexico for the SpaceX Mars Announcement.  (Read 109123 times)

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 203
Re: NSF at IAC Mexico for the SpaceX Mars Announcement.
« Reply #80 on: 08/21/2016 12:47 pm »
You have to consider how "developed" the Mars architecture could possibly be without having tested much of the needed technology. They are about to start Raptor testing.  They apparently want to use carbon fiber tanks, which has never been done at that scale, nor the ECLSS, nor the ISRU, nor the energy production on Mars, etc. Musk can lay out the plans and ideas they have so far,  but he won't want it to appear unrealistic fantasy. Everything SpaceX is planning, as far as we know, are theoretically doable, but going from theory to hardware can force design changes and impose limits that are not foreseen at this point.

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #81 on: 08/21/2016 08:59 pm »
I hope he doesn't just say "We are counting on other people to do that."  (ISRU, etc)  I want to hear about specific partnerships.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #82 on: 08/21/2016 09:04 pm »
Fuel ISRU is an integral part of the MCT architecture. MCT cannot fly without it. They need to carry the equipment on the first flights, nominally in 2022. They cannot defer it to anyone in general.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #83 on: 08/21/2016 09:23 pm »
My feeling is more that Musk's main message will be:

"We will self-fund creating and proving out the transportation system, and setting up a pilot base.  Obviously, we can't manage to create a million-person colony all by ourselves.  Once the transportation system is in place, reliable, and available at a reasonable price, we will be looking to the world community to buy passage for people and cargo and help us establish the multi-planetary civilization needed to ensure the survival of the human race."

I'd be a little surprised if this isn't basically what Musk says.  He will, of course, also announce some details on what SpaceX believes is the path to the first crewed landings on Mars, and about all of the things that will "have to go right" for that to happen in the 2024 synod.  That's the part we'll all be interested in.

But my impression of how the new description of Musk's talk will be reflected in what he says is what I stated above.  And, to be honest, it's nothing new to those who have followed the s**t Elon says... ;)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #84 on: 08/21/2016 09:34 pm »
I think SpaceX will encourage people to join SpaceX missions earlier than that. First crewed mission, even.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline mfck

• Office Plankton Representative
  • Israel
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #85 on: 08/21/2016 10:11 pm »

I think SpaceX will encourage people to join SpaceX missions earlier than that. First crewed mission, even.

Not for the first crews, maybe, but for the first wave indeed, EM could approach the collective Jim with such proposition. It would be a token of respect as much as a challenge and a magical opportunity for the willing.

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 983
« Reply #86 on: 08/22/2016 12:16 am »

Agree completely

There's a thread for this discussion here...

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40683.0

(Replies moved to the above thread - Chris).
« Last Edit: 08/22/2016 01:07 pm by Chris Bergin »
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline geza

• Budapest
    • Géza Meszéna's web page
  • Liked: 434
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #87 on: 08/24/2016 08:55 am »
Everything SpaceX is planning, as far as we know, are theoretically doable, but going from theory to hardware can force design changes and impose limits that are not foreseen at this point.

This is especially true for the surface equipment. It is difficult to imagine, that the very first MCT cargo transport can deliver the complete ISRU system in working order before the first crew departs at the following opportunity.

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
« Reply #88 on: 08/24/2016 07:41 pm »
Regarding the lifetime membership: I've purposefully avoided it for a while now.
You wouldn't be making a contribution to the site ever after...
[Jim]Incorrect[/Jim]
Some folks are silly enough to volunteer donations while having a lifetime membership.

Not to put too fine a point on this, you can even subscribe at the "double lifetime membership level". Comes complete with exactly the same privileges and benefits of the lifetime subscription and costs twice as much. Which, on a benefit density standpoint, seems like a disadvantage, but from a "I can sleep well at night, having done a good thing" standpoint is an excellent return.

::)
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #89 on: 08/25/2016 08:37 pm »
Everything SpaceX is planning, as far as we know, are theoretically doable, but going from theory to hardware can force design changes and impose limits that are not foreseen at this point.

This is especially true for the surface equipment. It is difficult to imagine, that the very first MCT cargo transport can deliver the complete ISRU system in working order before the first crew departs at the following opportunity.
This is partly why they're doing Red Dragons first: risk-reduction of ISRU.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #90 on: 08/26/2016 01:27 pm »
Next month!
That's aggressive... ;)

Elon Musk to Unveil SpaceX Plan to Send Humans to Mars Next Month1
http://cdanews.com/2016/08/elon-musk-to-unveil-spacex-plan-to-send-humans-to-mars-next-month/

Nothing new in article -- don't bother.

(1) My fifth grade English teacher would have been all over that one.

« Last Edit: 08/26/2016 01:28 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #91 on: 08/26/2016 02:53 pm »
ESA Director General Jan Woerner meets the Press at IAC 2016

ESA Director General Jan Woerner will meet the media on Tuesday 27 September 2016 between 15:00 and 16:00 in room Desfilia, at Expo Guadalajara during the 67th International Astronautical Congress.

Prof. Woerner will give an overview of the programs to be proposed for adoption to Ministers in charge of space at the upcoming ESA Council meeting at Ministerial level, scheduled to take place on 1 and 2 December in Lucerne, Switzerland.

Space has experienced four distinct eras. It all started with Space 1.0, the time of astronomy (and astrology), followed by Space 2.0, the era of Vostok, Apollo and the space race; then came Space 3.0, the era of the International Space Station (ISS) and international cooperation; today we are living through Space 4.0, a period in which a whole new space dimension is taking shape: space more relaxed, fascinating, all-embracing. We are seeing much more participation by society at large, an increased number of spacefaring nations, the advent of commercialization resulting in new roles for industry and space agencies alike. The interests served are no longer just public, but also private and, at the same time, we are witnessing the emergence of space tourism.

ESA is ready to take on new challenges and fully embrace this new space era, seeing strategic challenges as opportunities for European space activities and continuing to innovate, inform, inspire and interact.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
« Reply #92 on: 08/26/2016 03:01 pm »
Next month!
That's aggressive... ;)

Elon Musk to Unveil SpaceX Plan to Send Humans to Mars Next Month1
http://cdanews.com/2016/08/elon-musk-to-unveil-spacex-plan-to-send-humans-to-mars-next-month/

Nothing new in article -- don't bother.

(1) My fifth grade English teacher would have been all over that one.

...you can drink a hot cup of coffee while you watch them launch next month.
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline mikelepage

• ExodusSpaceSystems.com
  • Perth, Australia
  • Liked: 855
  • Likes Given: 1358
« Reply #93 on: 08/28/2016 02:24 pm »
ESA is ready to take on new challenges and fully embrace this new space era, seeing strategic challenges as opportunities for European space activities and continuing to innovate, inform, inspire and interact.

Glad to hear it, especially given their controlling interest in the Kourou spaceport in French Guiana.  That place would be the number 1 candidate to launch large payloads to equatorial LEO, with its extra low radiation levels.  Prime territory for large space hotels, one would imagine.

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #94 on: 08/29/2016 04:34 am »

PR BS - what else are they going to say? That ESA isn't ready to take on new challenges and will keep this new space era at arms length, seeing strategic challenges as threats best met by stagnation?

New British PM Theresa May, when asked in a recent get-to-know-you interview by her local paper 'Which words or phrases do you most overuse?', responded: ‘Actually’, ‘appropriate’ and ‘issues’, as in ‘Actually we need an appropriate response to the issues.’

Offline Syrinx

• San Carlos, CA, USA
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #95 on: 08/29/2016 05:08 am »
I didn't think Elon's presentation could be upstaged, but

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=36248

A candidate signal for SETI is a welcome sign that our efforts in that direction may one day pay off. An international team of researchers has announced the detection of “a strong signal in the direction of HD164595”

The work is to be discussed at a meeting of the IAA SETI Permanent Committee, to be held during the 67th International Astronautical Congress (IAC) in Guadalajara, Mexico, on Tuesday, September 27th, 2016

We can’t claim the detection of an extraterrestrial civilization from this observation. What we can say is that the signal is interesting and merits further scrutiny.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #96 on: 08/29/2016 05:39 am »
I didn't think Elon's presentation could be upstaged, but

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=36248

A candidate signal for SETI is a welcome sign that our efforts in that direction may one day pay off. An international team of researchers has announced the detection of “a strong signal in the direction of HD164595”

The work is to be discussed at a meeting of the IAA SETI Permanent Committee, to be held during the 67th International Astronautical Congress (IAC) in Guadalajara, Mexico, on Tuesday, September 27th, 2016

We can’t claim the detection of an extraterrestrial civilization from this observation. What we can say is that the signal is interesting and merits further scrutiny.

There are three categories of civilizations.

Type 1 civilizations are ones that still think that civilizations should be categorized by how much energy they use.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline mikelepage

• ExodusSpaceSystems.com
  • Perth, Australia
  • Liked: 855
  • Likes Given: 1358
« Reply #97 on: 08/29/2016 08:35 am »
There are three categories of civilizations.

Type 1 civilizations are ones that still think that civilizations should be categorized by how much energy they use waste.

Fixed that for you ;)

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 1868
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #98 on: 09/01/2016 05:01 pm »
I have to wonder whether today's AMOS-6 LOV will cast a pall, causing Elon to delay the reveal until more time has passed and this loss fades a bit.

Offline Terra Incognita

• Dublin
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #99 on: 09/01/2016 05:26 pm »
I have to wonder whether today's AMOS-6 LOV will cast a pall, causing Elon to delay the reveal until more time has passed and this loss fades a bit.
Yes I have had a sinking feeling all day, but EM if anything shrugs off things like this as "space is hard"

I've go my ticket I hope the show goes on and he announces as planned.

Nothing like a BFR to move the story on...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography