Author Topic: RocketLab Electron Smallsat Launcher  (Read 738519 times)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Re: RocketLab Electron Smallsat Launcher
« Reply #780 on: 01/23/2017 11:04 pm »
They do plan to  manufacture and launch in USA at some stage. This would be in addition to NZ operation.

I think there is some requirements for domestic manufacturing for government launches.

I'll add that it's no secret that Peter Beck (a Kiwi) has spent most of the last few years travelling between NZ and the USA... and I don't think that was just for holidays or to build up frequent-flyer miles.

And if I know anything at all about Kiwis it's that, even if the name on the door has a "USA" in it to keep the locals happy, they would never consider themselves American.
Why do those immigrants refuse to integrate? :D ;)
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Katana

• Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #781 on: 01/24/2017 08:20 am »
They do plan to  manufacture and launch in USA at some stage. This would be in addition to NZ operation.

I think there is some requirements for domestic manufacturing for government launches.

Bob Richard from Moon Express said March for 1st launch. From webinar comment a couple days ago.
Or maybe ITAR issues.

Offline msat

• The Air Capital
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #782 on: 01/24/2017 08:29 am »
While it's unfortunate that in ways they lost some sovereignty and national pride by incorporating in the US, it probably makes good business sense in that they stand a better chance at potentially gaining what could easily be their single biggest customer; the US gov with all its various agencies. 

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #783 on: 01/25/2017 09:51 pm »

Bob Richard from Moon Express said March for 1st launch. From webinar comment a couple days ago.
Or maybe ITAR issues.
Investor, ITAR and major customer driven. Planet shares the same VCs.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #784 on: 01/31/2017 05:29 pm »
A couple of local news articles.

http://gisborneherald.co.nz/localnews/2638644-135/rocket-lab-creating-more-jobs-for

"Cafe Mahia rebranded as Rocket Cafe a couple of weeks ago. The owner has new signage up and she has changed the menu, so that’s exciting, and she employed five new staff.”

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/88021427/and-we-are-almost-go-for-kiwi-rocket-launch-in-northern-hawkes-bay

The company is aiming for its first launch sometime after the holiday season to minimise disruption given nearby Mahia's popularity over summer.

Beck also wants to avoid "launch fever" – the temptation to cut corners at the last minute to get the rocket off the ground.

"We'll go when we're ready."

- Stuff

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #785 on: 01/31/2017 09:11 pm »

I still think it's interesting that even at the point where they're almost ready to launch, it seems very few people in New Zealand (well, those I've talked to in Auckland anyways) either know or care.  "This is NZ. We don't do rockets here."  I put that down to (a) ridiculous levels of security (maybe normal in the USA but not in NZ) and (b) piece-meal press releases.

Hopefully the first launch will get people's attention...

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Alf Fass

• The Abyss
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #786 on: 02/03/2017 03:58 am »

I still think it's interesting that even at the point where they're almost ready to launch, it seems very few people in New Zealand (well, those I've talked to in Auckland anyways) either know or care.  "This is NZ. We don't do rockets here."  I put that down to (a) ridiculous levels of security (maybe normal in the USA but not in NZ) and (b) piece-meal press releases.

Hopefully the first launch will get people's attention...

You're right about little local interest, but I think you're wrong about it being due to a "ridiculous levels of security", rather I think it's just that Beck and RocketLab aren't into beating their own drum in the media, the reason being that there's no gain for them in doing so, they're not after an endless flow of public money, public approval or fame. Often a low key approach can make running things easier, after-all, few of their customers are followers of the NZ media.
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?
John Maynard Keynes

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #787 on: 02/03/2017 05:01 am »
An exploding LV will definitely get them media coverage in NZ and international. I'm hoping for a normal launch.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #788 on: 02/03/2017 05:10 am »
An exploding LV will definitely get them media coverage in NZ and international. I'm hoping for a normal launch.

So am I.. but the alternative would be more spectacular.  ;D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #789 on: 02/03/2017 05:16 pm »
Launch complex complete and launch weeks away. Looks beautiful! Credit: Rocketlab
« Last Edit: 02/03/2017 05:19 pm by mr. mark »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #790 on: 02/04/2017 04:22 am »
Launch complex complete and launch weeks away. Looks beautiful! Credit: Rocketlab
are these Rocket sheep??

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #791 on: 02/04/2017 04:32 am »
are these Rocket sheep??
I see what you did there...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 1424
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #792 on: 02/04/2017 05:47 pm »
"are these Rocket sheep??"

No, perfectly ordinary sheep.  But they are grazing on Rocket lettuce.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #793 on: 02/04/2017 07:59 pm »

Somehow i wonder, if erosion of the cliff edge does pose some threat to the pad?

Offline brickmack

• USA
  • Liked: 3273
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #794 on: 02/05/2017 04:36 pm »
Somehow i wonder, if erosion of the cliff edge does pose some threat to the pad?

Probably not within the next century. Takes a while to wear away rock, they'll have plenty of time to move operations elsewhere

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #795 on: 02/05/2017 05:02 pm »
According to this thesis, coastal erosion on the Mahia peninsula maxes out at under 2cm a year; should be fine for a good while.

Offline LtWigglesworth

• New Zealand
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #796 on: 02/06/2017 06:39 pm »

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #797 on: 02/07/2017 12:04 am »
That looks like a non polar 50-ish degree inclination orbit target for whatever they launch first.  ::)
« Last Edit: 02/08/2017 11:36 am by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #798 on: 02/07/2017 12:42 am »
That looks like a non polar 50-ish degree inclination orbit target for whatever they laumch first.  ::)

It could also be a good trajectory for their test flights into the ocean.

Apart from an illegal fishing vessel or two ::)  ..there's pretty much nothing to hit in that direction.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 12:44 am by CameronD »

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #799 on: 02/10/2017 08:05 am »
Rocket Lab VLM patents are being rejected by the USPTO examiners:

https://register.epo.org/ipfwretrieve?apn=US.201213419810.A&lng=en

They have filed a few other applications as preliminary US patents, not yet public however.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography