Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 110768 times)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #40 on: 02/14/2017 04:26 am »
Those are the new Klingons?! Good grief... At least their slight redesign for the Abrams reboot films weren't too drastic. But these guys look like an entirely new species.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2018 08:46 pm by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142
« Reply #41 on: 02/19/2017 01:52 am »
The following comes from the Hollywood Reporter:

"While the Star Trek series was originally slated to be released in the first month of 2017, the premiere date was then moved to May with sources later telling The Hollywood Reporter that the release had been pushed back indefinitely. "

https://mic.com/articles/168868/star-trek-discovery-premiere-date-cast-and-everything-we-know-about-the-cbs-all-access-series#.OW7KItZFd

They must use NASA project planning software borrowed from SLS and Orion.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #42 on: 02/20/2017 02:25 pm »
I can't see the slip going further than the start of the fall season; further than that and I'd expect to start seeing producers' and directors' heads tumbling through the lot on their way to the exit gate onto Washout Boulevard.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Glom

• England
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: 02/20/2017 07:04 pm »
Although my heart belongs to the original series, I have a lot of respect for Deep Space 9, which I think explored a lot of themes and subjects where the other Trek series were not bold enough to go. One of the series writers is working on a documentary about Deep Space 9 and is conducting an Indiegogo campaign to raise money to produce it:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/what-we-left-behind-star-trek-deep-space-nine-doc#/

They already achieved their initial goal and their stretch goal. I think this could be interesting, and they have almost all the original cast involved (except for Avery Brooks, aka Captain Sisko, who is a bit of an... outlier). So check it out and pitch in if you support it.
What they left behind? Nice reference to the series finale. Although, that episode was tragic in its disappointment. Everyone was really just going through the motions at that point. It could have gone out better than that.

What about Avery Brooks is an outlier?

None of the cast seem to have done particularly well since. Nana Visitor has had a few roles, particularly voice acting. Rene Auberjonois has also had a few things. Colm Meaney has been fine. He was in Stargate Atlantis and so was Nicole deBoer. Alexander Siddig was in Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven. Not heard a peep from Terry Farrell. Nor Cirroc Lofton, though we never heard much from him on the show either.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #44 on: 02/21/2017 08:03 pm »
What about Avery Brooks is an outlier?

He is apparently rather eccentric. (That's a nice way to say that he's weird.) Some actors never want to be associated with a role ever again, but with him it's apparently not arrogance but eccentricity.

Offline zack

• Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #45 on: 05/17/2017 09:56 pm »
And the first trailer is finally out. Looks very nice. :)
Non region-locked link:
https://streamable.com/pmp54

And they seem to have extended the show to 15 episodes.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #46 on: 05/17/2017 09:57 pm »
Visually very nice. Dialogue is dire (but it usually is in promos).

"We have engaged the Kling....errr, bad aliens, that aren't copyrighted"
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline zack

• Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #47 on: 05/17/2017 10:22 pm »
Those are the newly updated Klingons.

Apparently they filmed some scenes on location in Jordan, looks familiar from The Martian.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #48 on: 05/17/2017 10:55 pm »
One of the key elements of Star Trek was that starships were not built to survive the atmosphere. The episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday" is the first time it is mentioned (if memory serves).

The 'Voyager' was the first of it's kind to actually be designed to enter and atmosphere and land.

So having a the 'Discovery' flying through the clouds really spoils it for me. Looks like more reboot, don't care about the original.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #49 on: 05/18/2017 04:40 pm »
Those are the newly updated Klingons.

Actually, I think these are supposed to be ancient Klingons. We see something which looks like a sarcophagus and what might be a sleeper ship in the trailer.

Also note: the ship seen in the trailer is the USS Shenzhou, NCC-1227, not the USS Discovery, NCC-1031. We never saw Jason Isaac's character (captain of the Discovery) in this trailer, either.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #50 on: 05/18/2017 06:48 pm »
Seth MacFarlane's Trek parody show The Orville looks more interesting from its trailer.

« Last Edit: 05/18/2017 06:48 pm by Star One »

Offline LM13

• Where the skies are so blue...
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #51 on: 05/18/2017 06:56 pm »
One of the key elements of Star Trek was that starships were not built to survive the atmosphere. The episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday" is the first time it is mentioned (if memory serves).

The 'Voyager' was the first of it's kind to actually be designed to enter and atmosphere and land.

So having a the 'Discovery' flying through the clouds really spoils it for me. Looks like more reboot, don't care about the original.

Didn't Enterprise (NX-01) feature the ship flying through a planet's atmosphere?  At least the pilot appeared to show that. 

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #52 on: 05/18/2017 07:09 pm »
Missed that but didn't watch it much.

« Reply #53 on: 05/18/2017 07:17 pm »
I am a HUGE Star Trek fan, but Discovery has left me very, very Meh. I just don't buy it. Supposed to be 10 years before Kirk and Spock and exist in the "Prime Universe", but the ship shown looks more advanced than Picards Enterprise. The uniforms are totally wrong, they look like a cross between Babylon V and Galaxy Quest. And sorry to say it, but, THOSE ARE NOT KLINGONS! They look like the Insectoids from Enterprise. A Starfleet officer who's alien race bases it's entire existence on a quality of sensing impending death? No, just no. They fired the only guy working on this show that knew what Star Trek was supposed to be. And of course the kicker is. In the US the only way to watch this show is to subscribe to another streaming service, except this one makes you pay AND watch commercials.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #54 on: 05/19/2017 02:31 am »
Didn't Enterprise (NX-01) feature the ship flying through a planet's atmosphere?  At least the pilot appeared to show that. 

No, but young Jonathan Archer flew a model starship in his backyard.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #55 on: 05/19/2017 01:19 pm »
This is me but, apart from the external configuration of the Discovery, the whole feel of the show as seen in the trailer is more Babylon 5 in its aesthetic. Even the apparent plot has a lot more of Babylon 5's feel than Star Trek.

Cross-Posted from a fan forum where I'm a member:
I'm increasingly wondering if each separate 'incarnation' of Trek (the original series & movies 1-6, the four 'Next Generation-era' shows & movies 7-9, the Abramsverse and now 'Discovery') should be considered parallel continuities that are similar but not identical and do not necessarily have the same histories and even the same physical laws in the background.

I'm not automatically opposed to this concept in the slightest. I would even argue that there is some basis for this in the official materials. For example, in The Original Series, warp factors were the cube root of the vessel's velocity multiplier of the speed of light. In The Next Generation, it was altered to a logarithmic scale that reached infinity at Warp 10 and 'Enterprise' added a new modifier where certain subspace conditions could allow a starship to travel far faster than their notional warp speed and that there were 'express routes' between some major systems like Sol and Q'ono'S (something that some writers, most notably William Shatner's ghostwriter, have suggested is artificial and possibly the work of the Next Generation-era's ancient God-species/progenitors of all intelligent life, the Preservers... but I digress). Simon Pegg (who ended up effectively writing 'Star Trek: Beyond') has also explicitly stated that his understanding is that the Abramsverse is a parallel universe rather than a divergent timeline.

As I said, there's no reason why this couldn't work and I'm happy enough with it as a meta-explanation. However, I'd have been grateful if this were clearly stated somehow. Spock could have mentioned it in ST2009 and, if they are doing the interdimensional thing in Discovery, it wouldn't be hard to drop it in (maybe have one of the Discovery's scans of the Swirly Space Anomaly Thingy show the Enterprise under Captain Pike).
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 935
  • Likes Given: 236
« Reply #56 on: 05/19/2017 01:27 pm »
Visually very nice. Dialogue is dire (but it usually is in promos).

"We have engaged the Kling....errr, bad aliens, that aren't copyrighted"

Heh!  Looks like the badguy from Galaxy Quest! ;D
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #57 on: 05/20/2017 01:57 pm »
And sorry to say it, but, THOSE ARE NOT KLINGONS!

I've heard this complaint numerous times since the trailer (and earlier promotional stills) and I still don't get it.
The Klingons' appearance has already changed radically once in Star Trek's history (between the original series and Star Trek: The Motion Picture), and Worf's appearance changed significantly throughout his ten-year run on Next Generation and Deep Space Nine. If you're expecting Klingons of this series to look like they did in the 1960s, that's unrealistic. No show would get away with that "Fu Manchu" look today.

And anyway, all humans do not look alike. Why do you expect all Klingons to look alike?

Offline Bynaus

• Scientist, Curator, Writer, Family man
  • Switzerland
    • Final-Frontier.ch
  • Liked: 424
  • Likes Given: 316
« Reply #58 on: 05/20/2017 02:07 pm »
To me, the "new Klingons" look more or less like the old ones (plenty of variety there too), except for the hairstyle. Add the long black hairs from the TNG/DS9/VOY era again, and you would probably recognize them as Klingons. A temporary fad? Anyway, I am ready to give the series the benefit of the doubt and watch the first seaaon.
More of my thoughts: www.final-frontier.ch (in German)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #59 on: 05/20/2017 03:59 pm »
To me, the "new Klingons" look more or less like the old ones (plenty of variety there too), except for the hairstyle. Add the long black hairs from the TNG/DS9/VOY era again, and you would probably recognize them as Klingons. A temporary fad? Anyway, I am ready to give the series the benefit of the doubt and watch the first seaaon.

I think there is a significant difference in the look, and I don't really like it. However, it is the kind of thing that could be explained away in dialogue by someone mentioning that Klingons have multiple races and many of them are isolated. They could solve that one easily.

The different looks of the Klingons are discussed here:

« Last Edit: 05/21/2017 01:42 am by Blackstar »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography