Author Topic: FAILED: Taurus XL, GLORY - March 4, 2011 - VAFB  (Read 214696 times)

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Re: FAILED: Taurus XL, GLORY - March 4, 2011 - VAFB
« Reply #320 on: 05/17/2011 09:09 pm »
They don't have to pay for it. Absent of another customer willing to take its chances on that flight, they aren't obliged to do anything. In that case NASA will be most reluctant to fly anything on the vehicle again. And NASA at least seems to be putting this vehicle on ice, at least for the time being:

In April the agency stopped payments on a Taurus XL launch vehicle contract with Orbital Sciences for a February 2013 re-flight of the OCO satellite, dubbed OCO 2.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #321 on: 05/17/2011 09:12 pm »
FWIW, I strongly recommend a no-payload dry run of the post-modification vehicle this time.

Why is a dry run required of the second one and not the first one?  Is a full-up test flight required to test this or can a full-scale test on a vibration table, in a thermal vacuum chamber, or whatever is appropriate sufficient to test whatever failed?

How can these questions be answered without knowing the detailed results of the failure analysis?

Offline Art LeBrun

• Photo freak
  • Orange, California
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #322 on: 05/17/2011 09:14 pm »
Bad news, this.

Isn't it good news that they're keeping Taurus as an option?
Yes but bad news that modern methods haven't prevented a second failure unless you are sure it was a QA or workmanship issue.
1958 launch vehicle highlights: Vanguard TV-4 and Atlas 12B

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #323 on: 05/17/2011 09:17 pm »
After two failures in a row, I was wondering since the CCDev-2 awards if it had any politcal impact consideration for Orbital's proposal. What would the public think NASA giving them cash, even though the two programs were not connected.
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #324 on: 05/17/2011 10:56 pm »
For all of the second guessers out there, it's not like a test flight wasn't considered after T8/OCO.  The highest levels of NASA weighed the additional cost and schedule needed to do it and decided the cost-benefit wasn't there.  Obviously they were wrong, but risk management is what every executive team does.  Hindsight is always 20-20.  I'm not sure how the calculus is different because it's happened twice.  It's a dictum of Decision Analysis that sunk costs do not enter into the cost-benefit calculation.  To do otherwise is not rational.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #325 on: 05/18/2011 12:30 am »

It looks like NASA agrees with you:

http://spacenews.com/civil/110516-nasa-add-delta2-list-launchers.html

Michael Freilich, director of NASA’s Earth Sciences Division, said NASA has lost nearly $700 million in Earth science payloads to Taurus XL over the past two years. In a May 11 interview Freilich said he would like to see the rocket fly successfully before putting another Earth-monitoring probe atop it.

“I would go more than recertified, personally,” he told Space News. “I would go demonstrated.”

Absent a demo flight, “I don’t know what anybody would say about how [we] were good stewards of the taxpayer money if we had a third consecutive launch vehicle failure; $693 million-worth of payload has gone down between the two,” Freilich said...

Bad news, this.

That is not "NASA" , it is one person's opinion.  NASA has yet to decide on this

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #326 on: 05/18/2011 12:40 am »
This whole affair has made me really unhappy with Orbital as a company. Thats two failures because of the same thing. In a row. At least spacex's early pains were separate issues but Orbital has been around for quite some time. I just hope the COTS rocket they are developing does not experience the same kinds of issues.

Frankly have alot more faith in Spacex at this point.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #327 on: 05/18/2011 12:56 am »
This whole affair has made me really unhappy with Orbital as a company. Thats two failures because of the same thing. In a row. At least spacex's early pains were separate issues but Orbital has been around for quite some time. I just hope the COTS rocket they are developing does not experience the same kinds of issues.

HAHA....That's too funny.

I actually put more faith in Orbital. This situation is the business: these things can (and have) happened. That's life, you fix it, and move on. As long as a company can weather these times, it only makes them stronger in the long run.

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #328 on: 05/18/2011 01:00 am »

HAHA....That's too funny.

I actually put more faith in Orbital. This situation is the business: these things can (and have) happened. That's life, you fix it, and move on. As long as a company can weather these times, it only makes them stronger in the long run.

True enough. I do hope they get it this time. On a related note: I can't wait for the first T 2 launch. Its going to be very exciting.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #329 on: 05/18/2011 01:31 am »

Orbital's experience is anything but unique.  Failure, sometimes in consecutive form, has visited all of the launch providers.  SpaceX, for example, had three of them in a row.  Two Centaurs failed in close order during the 1990s.  Two kick motors failed during the same Shuttle mission during the 1980s.  Three consecutive Cape Canaveral Titan IV missions failed during the 1990s.  Lockheed Martin suffered a very similar payload separation failure with Athena a few years back. 

It may very well turn out that both Taurus XL failures were not caused by the "same thing".  Remember that fairing separation system changes were made after the first failure.  The changes may have solved one problem but created another problem.  Or not.  We'll see. 

I would put my payload inside Orbital's next payload fairing without hesitation.  The next one won't fail (at least not the fairing separation part of the flight).  Heck, the odds of a restarted-production Delta 2 failure might be higher.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 05/18/2011 01:36 am by edkyle99 »

Offline yinzer

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #330 on: 05/18/2011 04:46 am »
For all of the second guessers out there, it's not like a test flight wasn't considered after T8/OCO.  The highest levels of NASA weighed the additional cost and schedule needed to do it and decided the cost-benefit wasn't there.  Obviously they were wrong, but risk management is what every executive team does.  Hindsight is always 20-20.  I'm not sure how the calculus is different because it's happened twice.  It's a dictum of Decision Analysis that sunk costs do not enter into the cost-benefit calculation.  To do otherwise is not rational.

Surely it's not the cost that has changed, but the perceived benefit of a test flight.  Which depends on how likely you think Orbital is right when they say "We found the fairing separation problem from the last flight, fixed it, and now have a design that works."

After T8 there was no real reason to doubt this statement.  After T9 we are in a "this time it's different" situation.
California 2008 - taking rights from people and giving rights to chickens.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #331 on: 05/18/2011 11:38 am »
How similar are the Taurus 2 fairing and the Taurus XL? Because they do have a Demo Flight for Taurus 2 without a payload.

Offline Downix

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #332 on: 05/18/2011 03:32 pm »

That is funny.

Orbital did not have enough data after the first one.  They guessed what the mistake was, and corrected that mistake.  They guessed wrong.  But, for this flight they included a lot more sensors so that, if something did happen, they'd have more data so as to implement a fix.

That is how a professional company does things.  They fix what they think is a problem, but they hedge their bet by making sure if it happens again, they will nail down the root cause.
chuck - Toilet paper has no real value? Try living with 5 other adults for 6 months in a can with no toilet paper. Man oh man. Toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #333 on: 05/18/2011 04:00 pm »
They had stated that the accident board had completed the findings and was about to disclose the failure cause. But nothing came of it. Any news?

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #334 on: 05/18/2011 06:40 pm »
There were/are separate NASA and Orbital investigation boards for both of these failures, as well as many NASA and Orbital return to flight executive review meetings where both sides bought into the cause and corrective action.  It's not proper to leave NASA out of the blame process (cf. "Orbital did not have enough data after the first one," and "how likely you think Orbital is right when they say").  NASA was wrong too.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline yinzer

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #335 on: 05/18/2011 07:10 pm »
There were/are separate NASA and Orbital investigation boards for both of these failures, as well as many NASA and Orbital return to flight executive review meetings where both sides bought into the cause and corrective action.  It's not proper to leave NASA out of the blame process (cf. "Orbital did not have enough data after the first one," and "how likely you think Orbital is right when they say").  NASA was wrong too.

OK.  NASA now has less confidence in their ability to judge the reliability of a Taurus launch following a failure than they did before T9 dropped Glory into the ocean.  Their newfound lack of confidence means that a test launch now offers more benefit, perhaps enough to outweigh the cost.
California 2008 - taking rights from people and giving rights to chickens.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #336 on: 05/18/2011 11:15 pm »
Is there any way of testing a moving fairing without having to blast it into space?

Could a cheaper rocket, such as a sounding rocket, be used?

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #337 on: 05/18/2011 11:21 pm »
Is there any way of testing a moving fairing without having to blast it into space?

Well, I got a few SRB's laying around here, I guess I could get you one for a good price... Let's talk money;)
« Last Edit: 05/18/2011 11:22 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #338 on: 05/19/2011 12:23 am »

no, because
A.  It would cost just as much to engineer a stand in that provides the same aerodynamic pressure, loads, dynamics, etc
b.  it would fail the policy: test like you fly.

Offline dsmillman

• Liked: 342
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #339 on: 08/19/2011 04:40 pm »
It has been nearly six months since the mishap board was appointed.  Has it issued a report?  Is there any additional information available on this failure?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography