Author Topic: Falcon Heavy - NASASpaceflight member meetup  (Read 71453 times)

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Falcon Heavy - NASASpaceflight member meetup
« on: 01/03/2018 06:29 pm »
Hey all!

So while we don't have a definitive date yet for Falcon Heavy's debut, there's been considerable interest expressed in having an NSF member meet up for dinner/drinks before launch.

So I'm kicking off this thread.

Details will follow once we have a target launch date (including restaurant options and when/with what to contact me so I can make reservations).

Offline brihath

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Falcon Heavy - NASASpaceflight member meetup
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2018 06:54 pm »
I am definitely interested, as long as there are no other conflicts with my schedule.  I live about 15 miles east of Tampa, so it would be about a two hour drive for me.  I will keep checking this thread for developments regarding the scheduled date. 

Offline kslagle

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2 on: 01/03/2018 06:55 pm »
Thank you for setting this up.  All I have wanted to do for as long as I can remember is see a launch.  At 47, its time to drop everything and make it happen.  I assume hotels and such fill up quickly, any expert advice on travel logistics?  I get that this will be an expensive, last-second airline ticket at least, but hopefully I will be able to find a rental car and room somewhere?

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #3 on: 01/03/2018 07:00 pm »
Like the Shuttle never went away, a NSF meet-up.... did a few of those from 2008 to 2011, so depending on the launch date you can count me in as well, lets see how old you guys became ;)
Jacques :-)

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4571
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/2018 07:13 pm »
Thank you for setting this up.  All I have wanted to do for as long as I can remember is see a launch.  At 47, its time to drop everything and make it happen.  I assume hotels and such fill up quickly, any expert advice on travel logistics?  I get that this will be an expensive, last-second airline ticket at least, but hopefully I will be able to find a rental car and room somewhere?

Not a local so no specifics but....

1 Go!  Do it.
2 Be prepared to wait out delays.  Every time I have gone, most of the people have left after the first scrub.  Persist.
3 Unless there are lots of delays, the launch should occur before high season, which is when Spring Breaks start, I believe.  Things shouldn't be that tight for cars and rooms.  There's always something.
4 Get a ticket with frequent flier miles if you can, which can sometimes be turned back in, or on SouthWest, where they can be converted to credit that is good for a whole year from when you first bought them.
5 Don't post.  Don't take photos during launch or landing. (Unless photography is really your thing.) Others will take amazing photos. Just soak it in. Focus on the experience.    Feel the roar of the engines and the sonic booms. (Double triple, with some luck!)
6 Go!  Enjoy.

edit: Will this thread double as an observing tips thread, too?
« Last Edit: 01/03/2018 07:15 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2018 07:20 pm »
Til end of summer last year I'd think this would have be a totally nuts idea. Expected months to close on a launch once on pad.

But given the more rapid pace of assembly and fit checks ... might happen.

Guess I've assumed that FH would been much like DIVH, which often made Shuttle look like a rapid response vehicle ...

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2059
« Reply #6 on: 01/03/2018 07:28 pm »
To be honest, it would be cool to participate in this gathering, but as I have a busy semester starting next week, I will be unable to meet up.

But there's a chance that I will view the launch from a different location by myself with a few other Embry-Riddle students.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline mdeep

• NSF Photographer
  • Tampa Bay
  • Liked: 1138
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2018 08:06 pm »
I know Dixie Crossroads got mentioned a few times, but to help cover the bases, I want to throw Zarrella's in Cape Canaveral out there too.

Offline posigrade

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 387
« Reply #8 on: 01/04/2018 01:49 am »
5 Don't post.  Don't take photos during launch or landing. (Unless photography is really your thing.) Others will take amazing photos. Just soak it in. Focus on the experience.    Feel the roar of the engines and the sonic booms.

Too true. I went to the totality line in SC for the eclipse this summer, and got some amazing photos. I certainly would have taken it in better if I'd just put down the camera.

Trying to figure out how to get down for the launch, or at least the first few scrubs, but Boston's a hike. Hopefully we'll get a WDR in the next week after Zuma, and some more info.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #9 on: 01/04/2018 01:52 am »
The launch I want to get together with you guys for is the Lunar Falcon Heavy mission; if and when it happens...
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline jon.amos

• Orlando, Florida, USA
  • Liked: 305
  • Likes Given: 1624
« Reply #10 on: 01/04/2018 01:52 am »

This is near Orlando, cars, rooms, dining, entertainment to wait out delays and keep non rocket nerd family entertained are plentiful and realiitivly inexpensive.

Count me in if work allows.
“The light bulb wasn’t invented by continuously improving the candle…it was about understanding what the job to be done was and then stepping back to look for solutions to solve this”

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #11 on: 01/04/2018 02:27 am »
I'd absolutely love to join in the fun, but it's quite the trip from PA, and school is important.

Offline WindnWar

• South Carolina
  • Liked: 333
  • Likes Given: 1811
« Reply #12 on: 01/04/2018 03:04 am »
I plan to be there for the launch so count me in, I'll be driving down from SC. Did that a few times for shuttle launches, once made the trip 3 times to see a scrub 2 times before finally seeing a launch. Was a lot of fun!

I've yet to be down for a Falcon launch and landing yet but there is no way I'm going to miss this. Will probably bring the Sony FS5 with me to get the launch in 4k.

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #13 on: 01/04/2018 12:33 pm »
I went to see the last launch of Discovery (and got to see a launch without delays... well, without delays during my trip).  Told work that I'd be back "after", but I *had* to see at least one Shuttle launch in person.  I'm thinking about heading over from Baton Rouge for the Falcon Heavy, but I'll have to play it by ear (currently re-roofing my house by myself, with a few interior walls torn out to add to the fun).  I had 12 weather-scrubbed days in an 18-day Christmas break, so I'm way behind schedule, but then again, maybe I *need* to go, as I've already totally exhausted all my bad luck. ;D

Don't post.  Don't take photos during launch or landing. (Unless photography is really your thing.) Others will take amazing photos. Just soak it in. Focus on the experience.    Feel the roar of the engines and the sonic booms. (Double triple, with some luck!)

I heartily agree with this, but with one small change:  Take one picture.  That's what I did with Discovery, and it feels good to have one objectively worthless but subjectively sentimental photo.  I get to look at all the great shots from everyone else, and there with them is my one "point generally toward the launch and press the button once" shot to show that I was there.  8)

Offline mattstep

• Iowa, USA
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 3203
« Reply #14 on: 01/04/2018 01:51 pm »
I am planning on going and would be interested in meeting some folks. My current plan is to drive from Iowa once the static fire is complete and the first attempt date seems relatively firm. Not going to miss this one!

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 983
« Reply #15 on: 01/04/2018 03:44 pm »
I'm on FL West coast in winter, so assuming it happens before mid-April, I'd drive over.  Blackout dates for me would be Feb spring break when family comes here to visit.
I've always expected a Feb launch; may well miss that if things go smoothly...end Jan.
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline WindnWar

• South Carolina
  • Liked: 333
  • Likes Given: 1811
« Reply #16 on: 01/04/2018 04:18 pm »
I went to see the last launch of Discovery (and got to see a launch without delays... well, without delays during my trip).  Told work that I'd be back "after", but I *had* to see at least one Shuttle launch in person.  I'm thinking about heading over from Baton Rouge for the Falcon Heavy, but I'll have to play it by ear (currently re-roofing my house by myself, with a few interior walls torn out to add to the fun).  I had 12 weather-scrubbed days in an 18-day Christmas break, so I'm way behind schedule, but then again, maybe I *need* to go, as I've already totally exhausted all my bad luck. ;D

Don't post.  Don't take photos during launch or landing. (Unless photography is really your thing.) Others will take amazing photos. Just soak it in. Focus on the experience.    Feel the roar of the engines and the sonic booms. (Double triple, with some luck!)

I heartily agree with this, but with one small change:  Take one picture.  That's what I did with Discovery, and it feels good to have one objectively worthless but subjectively sentimental photo.  I get to look at all the great shots from everyone else, and there with them is my one "point generally toward the launch and press the button once" shot to show that I was there.  8)

That Discovery launch was the one I saw, it was postponed several times due to various problems with the ET and the day of launch was almost scrubbed due to a range computer issue. It ended up going off with I think 6 seconds left in the launch window. Was worth the multiple trips.

Offline Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 637
« Reply #17 on: 01/04/2018 04:29 pm »
I would love to take a short holiday and watch the launch, and of course meet up for dinner.
Little challenge, as I live in Europe and have to book a flight and have to manage it with the family...
As soon as the date gets more firm, I will do my best to figure out a way to be in FL for several days from opening of launch window.
Will be a serious challenge, but if there is any chance I will take it.

Offline tdrb6115

• Prague, Czech Rep.
    • drb.cz
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #18 on: 01/04/2018 04:49 pm »
I would love to take a short holiday and watch the launch, and of course meet up for dinner.
Little challenge, as I live in Europe and have to book a flight and have to manage it with the family...
As soon as the date gets more firm, I will do my best to figure out a way to be in FL for several days from opening of launch window.
Will be a serious challenge, but if there is any chance I will take it.
I thought I can resist but right now I am not sure at all, it is a bit of a challenge to get there from central Europe but should be worth it

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 1234
  • Likes Given: 530
« Reply #19 on: 01/04/2018 05:05 pm »
Put an HD digital video cam (preferably with a good telephoto) on a tripod. Aim at the pad and flight path. Make sure you have a large empty SD card. When they start fueling, start the camera and watch the show with eyeballs (and maybe binoculars). After the show, pick through your thousands of frames of photos and find the good one.

Have fun guys.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography