Author Topic: Clockwork Rover to Explore Venus - AREE  (Read 24999 times)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Clockwork Rover to Explore Venus - AREE
« Reply #40 on: 01/26/2018 07:25 am »
At the surface the winds are very low speed due to the air density. You probably could still extract enough energy from it to power your equipment, but it may be rather unreliable.

Maybe power produced could be stored to overcome variability/unreliability
« Last Edit: 01/26/2018 07:27 am by sanman »

Offline acsawdey

« Reply #41 on: 01/26/2018 06:48 pm »
I'm surprised the Zephyr project hasn't been mentioned:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20150000879

They also did some analysis of solar cells at venus surface and concluded there are some that would work, just not very well:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20150016298

Sodium-sulfur batteries were proposed.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #42 on: 02/05/2018 12:12 pm »
I'm surprised the Zephyr project hasn't been mentioned:

Headlines:
8W/m^2 or so at Venus surface (peak daytime) solar cells are possible with little development from existing technology.
The rover was designed with 12m^2 of solar panels, in a 'sail', producing 65W from 20kg of panels.
This goes into a 10kg 2200Wh sodium-sulfur battery.
Mechanical energy from the sail is used to traverse, with the rover being very dumb, and essentially remote controlled from a satellite, to avoid need for a cold sink.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #43 on: 03/18/2018 12:53 pm »
One interesting design trick I've not seen used anywhere is this.

It permits high torque transmission through walls with zero leakage.

Despite the fact the report says it was first described in a nuclear engineering lecture series in the 1960's I can find nothing else about it, or it being used anywhere. I find this very odd as it seems ideal for use in rotary motion feed through for UHV chambers

I've made one of these up with a pair of cardboard cylinders, lined up and glued to a file card on opposite sides and I can confirm it really does work.
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #44 on: 03/18/2018 10:24 pm »
One interesting design trick I've not seen used anywhere is this.

It permits high torque transmission through walls with zero leakage.

Despite the fact the report says it was first described in a nuclear engineering lecture series in the 1960's I can find nothing else about it, or it being used anywhere. I find this very odd as it seems ideal for use in rotary motion feed through for UHV chambers

I've made one of these up with a pair of cardboard cylinders, lined up and glued to a file card on opposite sides and I can confirm it really does work.

Relying on elastic deformation may make it unsuitable for long term use?

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #45 on: 03/19/2018 07:07 am »
Relying on elastic deformation may make it unsuitable for long term use?
I guess it depends if the material work hardens, but doesn't that need it to be stressed above its elastic limit?

AFAIK the issue is not the torque it transmits, it's the rotational speed it can operate at (but fast enough for a slow speed rover).
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #46 on: 08/24/2023 03:45 pm »
NASA is asking the public to help them explore "hell," as the agency terms it — the roasting surface of the planet Venus.

The cloud-shrouded planet is so socked in that its surface — which is covered in lava flows and possibly active volcanoes — soars to oven-like temperatures of 840 degrees Fahrenheit (450 degrees Celsius). The surface pressure is so great that it would quickly crush a nuclear submarine, according to NASA.

But NASA has plans to deploy a very hardy rover to the surface, and the agency is asking the public to design a sensor to ride on this early-stage conceptual vehicle. Called Automaton Rover for Extreme Environments (AREE), the vehicle will use wind power to spend several months carefully crawling Venus' surface. The vehicle requires the sensor to navigate obstacles in its environment, such as rocks and steep terrain.

https://www.space.com/nasa-venus-rover-challenge-aree.html [dated March 19, 2020]

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography