Author Topic: "First to the Moon" A Documentary on Apollo 8 and it's crew.  (Read 6937 times)

Offline Eventide

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello all,

Several years ago I came onto NASASpaceflight and gathered information that helped me produce my film "Fight for Space". I'm back again with a new, much different film.

"First to the Moon" is a documentary film about Apollo 8 and the lives of Astronauts Borman, Anders, and Lovell.
I've spent many hours interviewing each astronaut and all three will be equally represented in the film as they tell their NASA stories and take us through the flight of Apollo 8.

The story is told by them, no scientist commentators, authors, or anyone else.

In combination to their interviews, we present newly scanned Archival film of the mission, and animations that will illustrate the many parts of the Apollo 8 flight.

Aside from the film, I am also releasing all the NASA film that we scanned in from the National Archives for "Fight for Space" and will do the same with the Apollo footage from this new film. You can see this here: https://archive.org/details/@paul_hildebrandt

In order to pay for the post production of the film which includes the footage, animation, music, and more, we need to raise $100,000 on Kickstarter. I'd like to ask for your support so we can get this story told and released by the end of the year.

Thank you.
- Paul Hildebrandt, Director

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/420606009/first-to-the-moon-the-journey-of-apollo-8

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
I was a twice contributor to your previous film 'Fight For Space' and I thought it mostly turned out very well. I will contribute to this one as well when I can.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline JohnR

• Florida
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 13
Backed. Looking forward to watching it.

Online JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 967
Done
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81667
  • Likes Given: 36933
I also backed ‘Fight for Space’ and look forward to this one for the 50th anniversary ... !

Offline PhotoEngineer

• SoCal
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 245
Backed.

Offline spacejulien

• Expert
  • Europe
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 20
Very cool project. Backed.

...and only 19 hours left...
« Last Edit: 02/14/2018 09:37 pm by spacejulien »
Posts I contribute here reflect my personal view only; they do not necessarily reflect any official position or opinion of my employer.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Unfortunately the project failed to reach it’s target - it ended at 65%.

However, a revamped project with a reduced budget is already up and running. If everyone who backed the first backs the second then it will be made.

So if you missed out on the first one, you can still back the second and ensure the film is made:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/420606009/first-to-the-moon-documentary-on-apollo-8-round-2

Offline cebri

• Spain
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 181
Backed again. Come on people, we can do this.  :)
"It's kind of amazing that a window of opportunity is open for life to beyond Earth, and we don't know how long this window is gonna be open" Elon Musk
"If you want to see an endangered species, get up and look in the mirror." John Young

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1882
Nearly 50 years now since Apollo 8.
Looking forward to seeing this project completed!

Backed.

Offline cebri

• Spain
They made the goal this time, but plenty of time left to make additional donations.
"It's kind of amazing that a window of opportunity is open for life to beyond Earth, and we don't know how long this window is gonna be open" Elon Musk
"If you want to see an endangered species, get up and look in the mirror." John Young

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
They made the goal this time, but plenty of time left to make additional donations.

Yes great news, although they’ve had to cut back with the reduced budget on things like use of archive film. From the latest backers’ update:

While at the National Archives last year, I cataloged 164 films relating to Apollo 8. At our current level of $50,000, we can only afford to scan in 30 of them. Most of these films have never been scanned or used in any documentary.

So the more money the better. All film that is scanned, whether in the final documentary or not, will be made available to all at Archive.org.

Offline cebri

• Spain
Final cut is available for backers. Will be posting a review soon.

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1882
I think this is well worth seeing. I like the format. Instead of a narrator, the story is told via interview clips with the people involved in the mission.

Now available on Amazon.

First to the Moon

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773

Offline Oersted

Bought the Blu-Ray on amazon.de. It was listed as "all regions" on the web page but turned out to be "Region A. NTSC" in reality so I couldn't see it here in Europe. Asked the seller for a refund without having to send it back to the US (shipping would have costed me more than the disk) and got it...  Oh well. 

Offline haywoodfloyd

• Veteran
  • Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 19
Bought the Blu-Ray on amazon.de. It was listed as "all regions" on the web page but turned out to be "Region A. NTSC" in reality so I couldn't see it here in Europe. Asked the seller for a refund without having to send it back to the US (shipping would have costed me more than the disk) and got it...  Oh well. 
You could always buy a "multi-region" Blu-Ray player for not much money and watch it that way.

I will be watching it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 11/29/2019 08:45 pm by haywoodfloyd »

Offline Oersted

Hi Floyd,

I'm not going to buy a new physical player for just this one disk, but if you - or anybody else - know of multi-region player software I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

So, did you like the documentary?

Offline whitelancer64

Hi Floyd,

I'm not going to buy a new physical player for just this one disk, but if you - or anybody else - know of multi-region player software I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

So, did you like the documentary?

If you can watch it on a computer, or connect a computer to your TV, you can download a variety of media players that can read multi-region disks.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline haywoodfloyd

• Veteran
  • Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 19
I believe that VLC Media Player might do the trick for region-free playing.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography