Author Topic: Astranis Space Technologies  (Read 11046 times)

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
  • Liked: 2945
  • Likes Given: 1468
Re: Astranis Space Technologies
« Reply #20 on: 08/25/2023 03:40 pm »
Excited to announce that we've signed a new contract for a US government mission, starting with an on-orbit demonstration using the Arcturus satellite.

The demo will establish highly secure comms links to remote locations in the US, using our software-defined radio technology.

[...]

Today, we are excited to announce that we have signed a contract with a new partner, a trusted partner of the national security space community, to demonstrate secure end-to-end communications using the Arcturus satellite.

As part of this effort, Astranis will use the Arcturus satellite to demonstrate secure uplink and downlink from San Francisco to Alaska, and back. This on-orbit test was scoped and planned out extremely quickly — a vast improvement over legacy approaches that may have taken years to come together. This demo shows the growing agility to rapidly address national security needs with Astranis's MicroGEO, and could lead to the procurement of multiple, dedicated satellite assets in the future.

This will be the next tech demonstration performed using the Astranis Arcturus satellite, but it isn’t the first, and it won’t be the last. We have worked closely with both commercial and government customers to demonstrate the successful operation of the Astranis-designed payload, and all Astranis hardware on-board Arcturus continues to work perfectly.

[...]

https://twitter.com/Gedmark/status/1695094612451623388
Lukas C. H. • Hobbyist Mission Patch Artist 🎨 • Ad Astra Per Aspera ✨️

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1794
  • Likes Given: 1292
« Reply #21 on: 08/26/2023 01:54 am »
Excited to announce that we've signed a new contract for a US government mission, starting with an on-orbit demonstration using the Arcturus satellite.

The demo will establish highly secure comms links to remote locations in the US, using our software-defined radio technology.

[...]

Today, we are excited to announce that we have signed a contract with a new partner, a trusted partner of the national security space community, to demonstrate secure end-to-end communications using the Arcturus satellite.

As part of this effort, Astranis will use the Arcturus satellite to demonstrate secure uplink and downlink from San Francisco to Alaska, and back. This on-orbit test was scoped and planned out extremely quickly — a vast improvement over legacy approaches that may have taken years to come together. This demo shows the growing agility to rapidly address national security needs with Astranis's MicroGEO, and could lead to the procurement of multiple, dedicated satellite assets in the future.

This will be the next tech demonstration performed using the Astranis Arcturus satellite, but it isn’t the first, and it won’t be the last. We have worked closely with both commercial and government customers to demonstrate the successful operation of the Astranis-designed payload, and all Astranis hardware on-board Arcturus continues to work perfectly.

[...]

https://twitter.com/Gedmark/status/1695094612451623388
It seems to me. The contract is to have some alternates to the world's largest LEO comsat constellation. Expect more contracts to other niche comsat providers soon.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13769
  • Likes Given: 5889
« Reply #22 on: 10/24/2023 02:55 pm »
SAT-RPL-20231023-00259
Astranis expects to relocate Arcturus in Q4 2023 ensuring that the two satellites will not interfere with each other. In 2025, which is well within the five-year milestone requirement of February 3, 2027 for deploying a satellite subject to the Arcturus US License Application, Arcturus-R is expected to be operating at the 163° W.L. orbital location. It is planned to do so pursuant to the same ITU filing submitted for Arcturus and the coordination agreements agreed to with other operators with respect to the Arcturus satellite and the ITU filing.

SAT-T/C-20231023-00257
Astranis Projects USA LLC (“Astranis”), pursuant to 47 C.F.R. § 25.117, requests authority from the Space Bureau (“Bureau”) to permanently transfer licensing authority for its Arcturus satellite1 from the Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”), the United States licensing administration, to Bundesnetzagentur (“BNetzA”), the German licensing administration.
Astranis believes that it will be able to better utilize the reduced capabilities of Arcturus at another orbital location under the licensing authority of BNetzA. At the new location and once licensing authority is transferred, Arcturus will not communicate on an enduring basis with earth stations located in the United States.10 The satellite is still capable of performing many missions throughout its life and has interest from both commercial and U.S. Government customers in technology demonstrations, fleet management activities, and other services using the Arcturus satellite in various orbital locations. After completion of the transfer of licensing authority, Arcturus will in all cases operate pursuant to its German licensing authority and comply with relevant market access regulations in applicable service areas and coordination agreements for that location.

SAT-STA-20231023-00258
Astranis Projects USA LLC (“Astranis USA”) herein requests Special Temporary Authority (“STA”) for 60 days to drift its Arcturus satellite from 163.0º W.L. to 78º E.L. Astranis plans to begin the drift on November 1, 2023. Expeditious grant of this STA application is warranted because the process of drifting Arcturus is estimated to take 12 weeks and Astranis seeks to minimize the delay in the ability of Arcturus to begin operations at the new orbital location.
« Last Edit: 10/24/2023 03:03 pm by gongora »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80379
  • Likes Given: 36361
« Reply #23 on: 10/26/2023 07:39 pm »
https://twitter.com/astranis/status/1717623656808161603

Last week, we announced that we fired an ion thruster using a satellite that is going to space.

Here's how we made it happen:

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8147
  • Likes Given: 7430
« Reply #24 on: 11/04/2023 12:08 am »
How to Build a Satellite

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 31905
  • Likes Given: 7828
« Reply #25 on: 11/05/2023 03:14 am »
Oooh! 16APSK signal set! I'm currently designing a CCSDS SCCC error control encoder that has 16APSK as one its signal sets.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #26 on: 11/16/2023 01:14 am »
https://twitter.com/Astranis/status/1724941941291548962
At the event, we announced together that Astranis will dramatically accelerate our partnership with Orbits Corp and bring not one, but two internet satellites to the Philippines: one on Astranis’s next launch, set for Q1 of 2024, and the second on the previously-announced launch to follow later in 2024.

The President announced that he is naming the new satellite “AGILA,” the name of the Filipino national bird, the “Great Philippine Eagle.”

Expanding our Philippines program to include an additional Astranis MicroGEO satellite means that Orbits Corp will be able to double the number of people that it connects in the most remote islands of the Philippines. Millions of people, many of whom live on less than $5,000 per year, will be able to connect to the internet as a direct result. Orbits Corp estimates that this two-satellite program will bring up to 10,000 direct and indirect jobs to the Philippines, accelerating economic growth and jumpstarting economic development in many of the smallest and most remote communities in the fast-growing nation.

(It seems they still haven't announced the launch contract for the flight later next year?)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #27 on: 11/16/2023 01:15 am »
https://www.astranis.com/news/apco
Sep. 8, 2023
Astranis is partnering with Apco Networks to launch two satellites dedicated to Mexico in 2024, which will connect up to five million people to affordable broadband internet.

Online catdlr

« Reply #28 on: 11/18/2023 08:33 am »
The Philippines 1st National Satellite: AGILA

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #29 on: 11/26/2023 04:21 am »
The Scariest Thing in Space: Radiation 101

Nov 24, 2023
The universe is a violent place outside of Earth's deflector shields. Here's how our satellites survive galactic cosmic rays, solar flares, and more.

Online catdlr

« Reply #30 on: 12/06/2023 07:14 pm »

Online catdlr

« Reply #31 on: 12/20/2023 10:19 pm »

Dec 20, 2023
Ever wonder what happens when you send a spearfishing world record holder and an Air Force veteran halfway across the world to set up satellite antennas?

Chapters
0:00 We need to do this ourselves
1:40 LEO vs GEO
2:25 Different kinds of antennas
2:59 Antenna parts
3:54 Munting antennas
4:30 Fighting the atmosphere
6:16 Traveling the world
« Last Edit: 12/20/2023 10:20 pm by catdlr »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7304
  • Likes Given: 70604
« Reply #32 on: 01/12/2024 06:03 pm »
Cross-post:
SAT-MOD-20240103-00004

Astranis wants to drift its Arcturus satellite from 163º W.L. to 78° E.L. (over the Indian Ocean). Footprints of the beams attached. Covering mostly the Mediterranean Sea. The satellite was originally intended to provide broadband service in Alaska.

Arcturus experienced an anomaly with its vendor-supplied solar array drive assemblies. The Arcturus
spacecraft is in a safe state and fully under Astranis’s control.
However, this anomaly results in an inability to provide continuous service at this location as the
company had intended. No customers are currently being served at the 163°W.L. orbital location.
Astranis believes that it will be able to better utilize the reduced capabilities of Arcturus
at another orbital location. Accordingly, the company is submitting this application to relocate
the satellite.

Due to the increased skew from the orbital position to the service area at the new orbital location,
only the three eastern-most user beams would be used at this new location.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography