Author Topic: Exploration Company Nyx  (Read 14458 times)

Online VSECOTSPE

• Liked: 4626
  • Likes Given: 2
Exploration Company Nyx
« on: 05/24/2022 11:27 pm »

European startup aiming for what resembles a stripped down yet refuelable capsule and trunk called Nyx for a variety of unmanned lab, cargo, and crew applications, including lunar access:

https://exploration.space/nyx
https://exploration.space/missions

Unclear what they’re launching on long-term, but they have a sub-scale reentry demo aboard an Ariane 6 in 2024:

https://europeanspaceflight.com/the-exploration-company-aims-to-offer-europe-independent-access-to-space/

Obligatory videos:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCNPX8yYUi4qS3obLp5RJxew

Online WmThomas

• An objective space fan
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 5078
Re: Exploration Company Nyx
« Reply #1 on: 05/26/2022 07:02 pm »
Nice website.

Nothing about funding or timeline.

They want to build a space vehicle better than Crew Dragon or Starliner. What makes them think they can?

Funded by whom? To launch on what?

Ironically, even before the time they could even by likely to begin to bend metal, SpaceX Starship is likely to render all their plans obsolete.

Offline tankat0208

• New York CIty
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2 on: 05/27/2022 03:58 am »
Looks like they're competing against two other commercial 'downmass' companies, Space Forge of the UK and Varda Space Industries of California. A lot of new companies banking on the commercial applications of the Zero-G environment are popping up, and time will tell whether they would be successful or not. I wholeheartedly disagree with what WmThomas is saying about Starship-the wonder machine - replacing all downmass projects, just like how spaceX is yet to replace all the other launch space companies. There would still be demand for smaller payload operators.

Interestingly, they seem to be using the same reentry system as the Lunar Lander. I wonder how that would work out. 

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1192
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #3 on: 05/27/2022 04:04 am »
I think they are betting on a European decision to have ESA being tasked by its member states to create a European crewed system for LEO and Moon and that in such a context they could be selected over the usual choice, i.e. Airbus Defence and Space.

Some of their guys are former Airbus people.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2022 04:06 am by hektor »

Offline hektor

« Reply #4 on: 05/27/2022 09:47 am »
And they seem to be French and German; not US. So maybe the thread is not in the right place.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 604
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #5 on: 05/27/2022 10:12 am »
Nothing about funding or timeline.

They want to build a space vehicle better than Crew Dragon or Starliner. What makes them think they can?

Funded by whom? To launch on what?

Ironically, even before the time they could even by likely to begin to bend metal, SpaceX Starship is likely to render all their plans obsolete.
And exactly this type of post is why many members have left NSF, and lot's of space related news from Europe isn't shared here. This is about Europe also developing a capability, they don't have to beat anyone.
Please stop bringing SpaceX into each and every topic. IT IS REALLY ENOYING!!!

And they seem to be French and German; not US. So maybe the thread is not in the right place.
So only commercial space companies can be located in the US. Or is this a critic to how moderators have setup the commercial section; than I agree. But it's called: 'COMMERCIAL AND US GOVERNMENT LAUNCH VEHICLES' for a reason.

The Exploration company is a startup, they were founded in 2021. I think they have concepts for two systems; the capsule and a propulsion module. Their competition is with Vega C + Spacerider and/ or EL3.
I think they could also use the capsule for a service like BO New Shepard with experiments (not tourist) from Esrange. That could be launched on a modified first stage from one of the ESA BOOST! contenders.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2022 10:27 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Tywin

« Reply #6 on: 05/27/2022 05:32 pm »
Other companies with similar concepts are Space Tango, and Mu Space...
The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #7 on: 05/27/2022 05:55 pm »
A small cargo rentry vehicle is good place to start. This is what inspace manufacturing needs.
Nothing wrong with thinking big and having crew transport as long term goal. Peter Beck's advise to space startups is think big ie $100B not $100M company.

Spaceship is coming we may as well not try is mentality of losers. Winners go for it regardless of how big competition and sometimes are successful.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Online WmThomas

• An objective space fan
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 5078
« Reply #8 on: 05/28/2022 01:37 pm »
So only commercial space companies can be located in the US. Or is this a critic to how moderators have setup the commercial section; than I agree. But it's called: 'COMMERCIAL AND US GOVERNMENT LAUNCH VEHICLES' for a reason.

I am American, but I am a fan of commercial space flight generally.

The questions I asked are what I would ask about a image and word filled website that reveals almost nothing serious about the company in question.

I'd love to see a thriving European commercial space industry. But if Nyx is just fishing for ESA funds, that's not really a commercial business model. I don't regard the Northrop-Grumman Antares system as all that commercial either, since it just exists to fulfill one government contract.

Offline hektor

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 504
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #10 on: 07/29/2022 12:57 pm »
I think they are betting on a European decision to have ESA being tasked by its member states to create a European crewed system for LEO and Moon and that in such a context they could be selected over the usual choice, i.e. Airbus Defence and Space.

Any ESA official picking a small startup over AD&S or ArianeGroup for Europe's first proper manned spaceflight program would probably be involuntarily detained by psychiatrists...

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 680
  • Likes Given: 721
« Reply #11 on: 07/31/2022 04:00 am »
Nice website.

Starship is likely to require many years of testing before it is commercially useful.

Reading your comment, I can imagine a Russian engineer in 1967 saying “why are we bothering with Soyuz, when N-1 will make it obsolete”.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 31750
  • Likes Given: 7734
« Reply #12 on: 07/31/2022 04:40 am »
Reading your comment, I can imagine a Russian engineer in 1967 saying “why are we bothering with Soyuz, when N-1 will make it obsolete”.

Unlikely, as a version of Soyuz (the Soyuz LOK) was literally a part of the N-1 program! Perhaps he might have said "Why bother with the N-1, when Buran will make it obsolete."
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4158
  • Likes Given: 1674
« Reply #13 on: 07/31/2022 02:36 pm »
Nice website.

Starship is likely to require many years of testing before it is commercially useful.

Nyx wants to build a crew spacecraft with a crew capsule and an expendable service module or trunk section. We have two recent worked examples for this: Crew Dragon and Starliner. For each of them, the development phase started in 2014 after a fairly long initial design effort. Crew Dragon's first operational flight was in 2020, so six years. Starliner's first operational flight will be NET 2023, so nine years.  Even if Nyx is past initial design and at beginning of development, do you really think they will be operational before 2028? for Starship, HLS is supposed to be operational in 2025, which includes "many years of testing". I don't know how to predict the schedule of a full-up crewed Starship with EDL.

Offline hektor

« Reply #14 on: 08/12/2022 10:21 am »
« Last Edit: 08/12/2022 10:22 am by hektor »

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #15 on: 08/12/2022 10:51 am »
There are some interviews with CEO Hélène Huby on YouTube worth watching. Company is made up of experienced management and senior aerospace engineers.
This is a company to watch.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9097
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #16 on: 09/13/2022 01:50 am »
https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1569331069207384064

The Exploration Company, a European startup developing cargo vehicles for LEO and the Moon, is seeing strong interest in a Series A round it just started raising, CEO Helene Huby says at #WSBW. It’s flying a ballistic reentry demonstrator on the 1st Ariane 6 next year.

Offline hektor

« Reply #17 on: 10/12/2022 07:51 am »
Huracan engine

From this file

The Exploration Company develops, manufactures and operates orbital vehicles and
technological bricks that make space exploration accessible.
The project accelerates and diversifies the development of the Huracan engine. Huracan serves the
needs of the upper stages of small launchers, and those of orbital vehicles. It allows
small launchers to diversify their missions and increase their performance. He will be
available from 2025. Huracan works with liquid oxygen and bio-methane:
it is environmentally friendly; consistent with the technological trend of using
oxygen and methane; and complementary to the more powerful Prometheus engine, which
uses the same fuels. Its thrust is variable; it is reusable & re-ignitable;
80% of its mass is additively manufactured.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #18 on: 10/12/2022 11:07 am »
It is encouraging to see all these startups being launched in the space sector.

I've participated in some of these.  [From the sidelines, not from the check book.]  But the question remains; will these new companies eventually shut down for the sake of promotions?  It's a relatively new career enhancement strategy. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/xvma0l/peter_yang_why_google_abandons_so_many_products/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/googles-constant-product-shutdowns-are-damaging-its-brand/

LPA:  Launch, Promo, Abandon.
« Last Edit: 10/12/2022 11:12 am by JohnFornaro »
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80131
  • Likes Given: 36295
« Reply #19 on: 02/01/2023 10:09 am »
https://twitter.com/andrewparsonson/status/1620721957347151872

Big news: The Exploration Company has secured €40.5M in Series A funding led by EQT Ventures and Red River West.  The company is developing a reusable space capsule called Nyx that will be used to fly science missions, resupply space stations, and, in time, host crewed missions.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/exploration-company_the-exploration-companypress-release-series-activity-7026459127660847104-bcn3

We are delighted to announce that we have raised a 40 million Series A round, co-lead by EQT Group and Red River West.

This exceptional Series A - the biggest space tech Series A raised in Europe - has been enabled by the competence and dedication of The Exploration Company's team who has worked hard to deliver on time, cost and quality our planned milestones.

It is also the result of the commitment of our Seed Investors: Promus Ventures, Cherry Ventures and Vsquared Ventures.

We are thrilled to welcome onbaord Omnes, July Fund, Partech, HABERT DASSAULT FINANCE, SLB, Wealth Management Alliance, Possible Ventures, Rymdkapital and SISTAFUND.

Special thanks to Alfred Vericel, Luc-Emmanuel Barreau, Bertrand Schmitt, Ted Persson, Jenny Dreier, Sai Sriramagiri, Michel de Lempdes and Hugo Hubert.

Offline hektor

« Reply #20 on: 02/08/2023 01:45 pm »

Offline hektor

« Reply #21 on: 04/03/2023 11:05 am »

Offline hektor

Offline TheKutKu

• France
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 284
« Reply #23 on: 08/08/2023 10:06 am »
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/exploration-company_our-reusable-throttable-orbital-bio-methane-activity-7093559922969194497-27OM?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_ios

Our reusable & throttable orbital bio-methane & oxygen engine has reached another successful milestone!

As part of our cooperation with German Aerospace Center (DLR) Institute of. Space Propulsion and thanks to the support of the Centre National d'Études Spatiales and European Space Agency - ESA, we have successfully tested our first full-scale Thrust Chamber on the P8 test bench in Lampoldshausen the 20th of July.

We have achieved smooth ignition and 10 second of steady state operation. Here is a nice video.

Speed is of the essence: one year ago, there was no design of this thrust chamber.

The test campaign will continue in October after the bench maintenance period with exploration of the flight domain on longer boost duration.
Another Thrust Chamber test campaign will be performed, on the same P8 test bench end of 2023/ begin 2024, to validate design improvements before the first engine prototype test of mid-2024.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #24 on: 09/12/2023 06:52 am »
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/activity:7107235160529453057

This is a historic milestone for The Exploration Company and for Europe.

Nyx, The Exploration Company's vehicle, becomes the first European capsule to be sent to a commercial space station

The Exploration Company and Axiom Space have signed an agreement to use Nyx for carrying cargo to and from Axiom Space not sooner than 2027, provided some milestones are met in 2025.

This cooperation is a strong example of what can be achieved when private and public space players cooperate across continents, and an outstanding illustration of The Exploration Company's capability to unleash its team's talents.

We thank Axiom Space for its trust, and we look forward to serving their space station.

The press release is attached.

Josef Aschbacher, Philippe Baptiste, Daniel Neuenschwander, Walther Pelzer

Offline hektor

« Reply #25 on: 09/12/2023 11:27 am »

Offline TheKutKu

• France
« Reply #26 on: 09/13/2023 09:29 pm »
https://techcrunch.com/2023/09/13/the-european-company-signs-agreements-with-axiom-indian-space-research-organization/

The company is aiming to conduct an initial demonstration mission using a prototype called Bikini in January 2024. That mission was originally scheduled to fly with Arianespace’s Ariane 6 in the fall of this year, but due to delays with that launch vehicle, The Exploration Company decided to move to the Indian Space Research Organization’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle.

Being launch vehicle agnostic now and into the future is one of The Exploration Company’s key differentiators, Huby explained.

“It’s very good to be able to use some national assets when you do business with states,” Huby says. “I think that’s a big advantage that we have. I can fly with American launchers if this is NASA cargo we carry, if we bring Japanese cargo, we can use a Japanese launcher and if we bring Indian cargo we can use an Indian launcher. This is something very unique that will help us scale and also helps the space stations, because they can use us to show to India, Japan and other clients that we really care about the national industry and leveraging national industry.”

From 2024, The Exploration Company will fly another, slightly larger demonstration prototype called “Mission Possible” in the fourth quarter of 2024. While Bikini will burn up in the atmosphere, the two-year-old startup will attempt an ocean splashdown with the Mission Possible prototype. That mission is now sold out, Huby added. The Exploration Company has not yet chosen a launch provider for its first orbital mission scheduled for 2026.

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #27 on: 09/16/2023 10:41 am »
The Bikini demo capsule is 40kg and used to test capsule shape and heatshield material. Still looking for ride to space given delays with A6. F9 transporter would cheapest option.

In 2026 want to launch subscale version of capsule 1,600kg, on F9R. Has customers lined up for this one. Full scale 8000kg cargo version in 2028. Eventually make it into crew vehicle.

Experienced exArianespace engineers which help designed Orion service module.

Online Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 364
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #28 on: 09/16/2023 11:57 am »
The Bikini demo capsule is 40kg and used to test capsule shape and heatshield material. Still looking for ride to space given delays with A6. F9 transporter would cheapest option.

In 2026 want to launch subscale version of capsule 1,600kg, on F9R. Has customers lined up for this one. Full scale 8000kg cargo version in 2028. Eventually make it into crew vehicle.

Experienced exArianespace engineers which help designed Orion service module.

They already found a new launch provider : it will be ISRO with a PSLV in next January.

The company is aiming to conduct an initial demonstration mission using a prototype called Bikini in January 2024. That mission was originally scheduled to fly with Arianespace’s Ariane 6 in the fall of this year, but due to delays with that launch vehicle, The Exploration Company decided to move to the Indian Space Research Organization’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle.

Source : https://techcrunch.com/2023/09/13/the-european-company-signs-agreements-with-axiom-indian-space-research-organization/
« Last Edit: 09/16/2023 11:59 am by Bean Kenobi »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #29 on: 09/17/2023 05:38 am »
Bikini Launch thread started, with some interesting details of how PSLV will be used during the mission:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=59562.0

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13698
  • Likes Given: 5870
« Reply #30 on: 11/14/2023 11:42 pm »
Second flight with SpaceX end of 2024/early 2025, 1.6 ton, 2.5m diameter

« Last Edit: 11/14/2023 11:48 pm by gongora »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #31 on: 12/28/2023 08:03 am »
https://twitter.com/andrewparsonson/status/1740279765901426905

The Exploration Company has successfully completed the System Requirement Review for its space station resupply vehicle Nyx Earth.

https://europeanspaceflight.com/the-exploration-company-completes-key-review-for-leo-cargo-vehicle/

Offline hektor

« Reply #32 on: 12/28/2023 05:59 pm »
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (Oscar Wilde)

Offline hektor

« Reply #33 on: 01/02/2024 10:24 am »
Hélène Huby, la mathématicienne, spécialiste de l'espace et entrepreneure que l'on compare à Elon Musk

Below a rough ChatGPT translation

Hélène Huby, the mathematician, space specialist, and entrepreneur often likened to Elon Musk.

PORTRAIT - Mathematician, space specialist, and entrepreneur, Hélène Huby aims to democratize space exploration. A portrait of an adventurer who has nothing to envy to Elon Musk and his Space X project.

With one foot in Germany and the other in Bordeaux, she works on the plane, in taxis, engages in numerous conference calls in English and French with journalists, investors, and team leaders. As the CEO since 2021 of The Exploration Company, a startup specializing in space technologies that she co-founded, Hélène Huby has set herself a mission: to make space exploration affordable, sustainable, and accessible – no less. If all goes well, in spring 2024 and thanks to the hard work of her teams, she will launch her first capsule named Nyx, a prototype of a cargo transport vehicle, competing with SpaceX's Dragon. By 2030, it aims to resupply future privately-funded space stations.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2024 04:19 am by gongora »

Offline TheKutKu

• France
« Reply #34 on: 01/02/2024 02:02 pm »
Helene Huby has a good network And knows how to sell her image, articles about The Exploration companies are as often about her as about the company’s itself.

Good thing to remember: She was a classmate and friend of Macron when young.

Now let’s wait for the first demonstrator’s launch on a PSLV, supposedly this quarter...
« Last Edit: 01/02/2024 02:03 pm by TheKutKu »

Offline hektor

« Reply #35 on: 01/02/2024 04:15 pm »
She can play this card till 2027.

After that, I would be half surprised if Macron was joining the Board of the Exploration Company. That would be a master stroke.

Offline hektor

« Last Edit: 01/05/2024 06:42 pm by hektor »

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 504
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #37 on: 01/05/2024 08:41 pm »
Helene Huby has a good network And knows how to sell her image, articles about The Exploration companies are as often about her as about the company’s itself.

Good thing to remember: She was a classmate and friend of Macron when young.

Now let’s wait for the first demonstrator’s launch on a PSLV, supposedly this quarter...
Huby also ran the doomed "Sparrow" micro rocket project at ArianeGroup.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2024 08:41 pm by ringsider »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography