Author Topic: Perigee Aerospace  (Read 20103 times)

Offline Dmitry_V_home

• City of Toglliatti, Samara region, Russia
  • Liked: 666
  • Likes Given: 132
Re: Perigee Aerospace
« Reply #40 on: 06/07/2023 05:44 am »
The small thrust of the second stage is probably due to the fact that the payload is launched into orbit by one (but not two) engine actuations. In this case, the optimal thrust of the second stage may be ten times smaller than the thrust of the first stage.

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 2121
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #41 on: 06/07/2023 06:39 pm »
The small thrust of the second stage is probably due to the fact that the payload is launched into orbit by one (but not two) engine actuations. In this case, the optimal thrust of the second stage may be ten times smaller than the thrust of the first stage.
They list first-stage thrust variously as 260kN (in a table saying "Thrust At Liftoff"), 270kN (9 times 30kN, given as their first stage engine thrust in the text), and 306kN (9 times 34kN, the first stage engine's vacuum thrust as given a table). Even for the smallest number, one would expect a second stage thrust of at least 26kN, not 4.3kN (the value they list for second stage vacuum thrust in the table).

Now, it's important to note that their first stage has considerably more thrust than Electron, despite less payload capacity. So my bit about "the first stage doing more of the work" may be the actual answer. But it still seems like an unusual ratio of first to second stage thrust, to me.

Offline Dmitry_V_home

• City of Toglliatti, Samara region, Russia
  • Liked: 666
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #42 on: 06/07/2023 07:25 pm »
This is the result of TWR optimization. I've been involved in micro-launcher projects. For them, the optimal ratio of vacuum rods of the first and second stages is usually (30... 40): 1 with a single start of the second stage engine.
When turned on twice, this ratio can be within 10... 20

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 31750
  • Likes Given: 7734
« Reply #43 on: 06/10/2023 05:04 am »
BW-0.3 hover test. Will be followed by the development of upper stage named BW-0.4 and first stage named BW-0.6.

Was there a Blue Whale 0.2?
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Mahurora

• Germany
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #44 on: 06/10/2023 11:32 am »
BW-0.3 hover test. Will be followed by the development of upper stage named BW-0.4 and first stage named BW-0.6.

Was there a Blue Whale 0.2?

Their small scale (rather crude) attitude control test rig powered with gas turbine was named BW-0.2

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7892
  • Likes Given: 7355
« Reply #45 on: 11/20/2023 10:59 am »
Cross-post, there is a NOTAM out for a suborbital launch for South Korea, anything to do with this company?

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=59910.msg2542125#msg2542125
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline tankat0208

• New York CIty
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #46 on: 02/21/2024 01:24 am »

They have released the launch animation of Blue Whale 1, their launch vehicle

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 864
  • Likes Given: 547
« Reply #47 on: 02/22/2024 10:21 pm »
They have released the launch animation of Blue Whale 1, their launch vehicle

A smaller version of Falcon 9, complete with grid fins and landing legs, but launching and landing on jack-up barges and with the fairings staying with the booster!

Nice!  8)

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography