Author Topic: Vulcan VC2S V001 - Peregrine Lander - CCSFS SLC-41 - 8 Jan 2024 (07:18 UTC)  (Read 443350 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82949
  • Likes Given: 37286
Venting now visible on NSF Space Coast Live

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1733216706619699657

ULA's Vulcan rocket is conducting its WDR (Wet Dress Rehearsal) at SLC-41.

Watch live:
https://nsf.live/spacecoast

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7682
  • Likes Given: 75122
WDR successful?
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery.

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
  • Liked: 3419
  • Likes Given: 1733
Vulcan has returned to the VIF:

At SLC-41 the Vulcan rocket has returned to its assembly building following a wet dress rehearsal attempt on Friday. ULA has provided no updates on the outcome of that test. The countdown entered the final 7 minutes but it's not clear if it proceeded as planned to close to T-0.

https://twitter.com/SpaceflightNow/status/1733818816549851149?t=D3JSm_uDbrPccTxEiXyz-w&s=19
Lukas C. H. • Hobbyist Mission Patch Artist 🎨 • May the force be with you my friend, Ad Astra Per Aspera ✨️

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 6205
  • Likes Given: 870
WDR successful?
Given that Tory has been tweeting every (successful) step on the way to launch, with pictures, I'm going to take the cynical view that something was off during the test.  A no-issue, or even a minor-issue, WDR is a big milestone on the road to launch.  I hereby predict a new WDR will be needed and a delay to January.  I would be happy to be proven wrong.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2023 11:54 am by LouScheffer »

Offline Vettedrmr

• Hot Springs, AR
  • Liked: 2117
  • Likes Given: 3262
WDR successful?
Given that Tory has been tweeting every (successful) step on the way to launch, with pictures, I'm going to take the cynical view that something was off during the test.  A no-issue, or even a minor-issue, WDR is a big milestone on the road to launch.  I hereby predict a new WDR will be needed and a delay to January.  I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Right there with you; no news is not good news.  The way the NSF cameras were positioned, I couldn't tell if they filled the tanks, although the GSE was venting.  Any thoughts on that?
Aviation/space enthusiast, retired control system SW engineer, doesn't know anything!

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
I agree that a successful WDR would surely have been announced. Clearly no official news yet:

https://twitter.com/astrobotic/status/1733849341729603733

With T-14 days until launch, this week we're excited to fill you in on all of the customer payloads headed to the Moon aboard Peregrine Mission One. 🚀🌒 Get ready for #7daysofPeregrinePayloads!
#PM1 #20PayloadsofPeregrine

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2377
  • Likes Given: 2077
Let’s not assume that the WDR didn’t go as planned (let alone a delay to January) just because we haven’t gotten any updates.

Be patient.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Online Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
  • Liked: 1393
  • Likes Given: 452
Let’s not assume that the WDR didn’t go as planned (let alone a delay to January) just because we haven’t gotten any updates.

Be patient.

Also, Tory Bruno did not do any sort of countdown milestones during the wet dress rehearsal. His only tweet was to repost the ULA day of WDR announcement.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1733907494030688486

#VulcanRocket  WDR update:  Vehicle performed well.  Ground system had a couple of (routine) issues, (being corrected). Ran the timeline long so we didn't quite finish.  I'd like a FULL WDR before our first flight, so XMAS eve is likely out.  Next Peregrine window is 8 Jan.

Edit to add:

Welp. It's definitely not the news we wanted to hear, but glad you're pushing for success. Will it still be an early morning launch on the 8th?

https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1733909618420568475

yes.  We'll publicize the details
« Last Edit: 12/10/2023 05:06 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
  • Liked: 3419
  • Likes Given: 1733
ULA's Website has been updated, officially NET January 8th:

VULCAN TO LAUNCH FIRST CERTIFICATION MISSION (CERT-1)

A United Launch Alliance (ULA) Vulcan VC2S rocket will launch the first certification mission from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida. The Cert-1 flight test mission includes two payloads, the first Peregrine Lunar Lander, Peregrine Mission One (PM1) for Astrobotic as part of NASA’s Commercial Lunar Payload Services (CLPS) initiative to deliver science and technology to the lunar surface. The second payload is Celestis’ Memorial Spaceflights deep space Voyager mission, the Enterprise Flight.

Launch Date and Time: NET Jan. 8, 2023

[...]
Lukas C. H. • Hobbyist Mission Patch Artist 🎨 • May the force be with you my friend, Ad Astra Per Aspera ✨️

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

A United Launch Alliance (ULA) Vulcan VC2S rocket will launch the first certification mission from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida. The Cert-1 flight test mission includes two payloads, the first Peregrine Lunar Lander, Peregrine Mission One (PM1) for Astrobotic as part of NASA’s Commercial Lunar Payload Services (CLPS) initiative to deliver science and technology to the lunar surface. The second payload is Celestis’ Memorial Spaceflights deep space Voyager mission, the Enterprise Flight.

[...]

The launch date column now says "TBD".
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery.

Offline cpushack

• Klamath Falls, Oregon
  • Liked: 421
  • Likes Given: 129
Ground system had a couple of (routine) issues, (being corrected).

Always better when the issues are routine?  Its nice spin I suppose, but issues should not be routine, thats why they are issues.

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4487
  • Likes Given: 1871

[...]

The launch date column now says "TBD".
Tory said "next Peregrine launch window is January 8". He did not say ULA was aiming to launch Vulcan on January 8. I think it's a bit early for ULA to have completely analyzed the WDR results. Thus, NET January 8 is all they can honestly say.

Offline AS_501

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 412
  • Likes Given: 329
Let's all step way back and remember that an issue on the ground is infinitely preferrable to an issue in flight.
Launches attended:  Apollo 11, ASTP (@KSC, not Baikonur!), STS-41G, STS-125, EFT-1, Starlink G4-24, Artemis 1
Notable Spacecraft Observed:  Echo 1, Skylab/S-II, Salyuts 6&7, Mir Core/Complete, HST, ISS Zarya/Present, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, Dragon Demo-2, Starlink G4-14 (8 hrs. post-launch), Tiangong

Online Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
  • Liked: 1393
  • Likes Given: 452
Let's all step way back and remember that an issue on the ground is infinitely preferrable to an issue in flight.

That is the irony. The two issues were on the ground side support systems while the Vulcan Centaur vehicle did fine.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Is it only a one day window in Jan? Are you able to share the other dates?

https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1733944885722357933

Looking like 4 days

With Axiom-3 currently the 10th January will be interesting to see how range availability pans out.

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 933
  • Likes Given: 346

Always better when the issues are routine?  Its nice spin I suppose, but issues should not be routine, thats why they are issues.

It is routine to have issues in the first few launches with a new vehicle/pad system. My spin detector is reading absolute 0k

Offline king1999

• F-Niner Fan
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 306
  • Likes Given: 1284

It is routine to have issues in the first few launches with a new vehicle/pad system. My spin detector is reading absolute 0k
“Typical” is a better word than “routine”, but I wouldn’t split my hair about it :)

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography