Author Topic: Two Californian Senators Call for Competitive Heavy-Lift Propulsion Procurement  (Read 58524 times)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
I like this guy and this post.

Forces are aligning appropriately.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/06/08/983442/-The-Tea-Party-is-backing-Democratic-Senators?showAll=yes&via=blog_551307

VR
RE327

now, now this is getting depressing.....goes to chear up mode:

watch that a couple of times.

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
There is nothing "aligning", certainly nothing he documents.  In reality, this Daily Kos "blogger" is saying absolutely nothing.  He is being purely partisan.  Just like everywhere else he posts around the internet (and used to here).  As an example of this, since the Daily Kos is known to be incredibly fair and balanced, perhaps he will look into the campaign contributions for the two senators from California and see if there is any money from Aerojet and how much. 

If people wish to move beyond this nonsense, ask the real questions that need to be asked and answered instead of distractions. see here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=25246.msg754183#msg754183
« Last Edit: 06/09/2011 03:35 am by OV-106 »
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline corneliussulla

• Liked: 88
  • Likes Given: 48
All this argument of respective capabilities of the Orion and Dragon capsule whilst interesting somewhat misses the point. Its about the future of the US human space programme and whether it can continue to conduct business in a business as usual format.

The reason i originally used the example of Orion was to show how NASA business as usual is not going to work in future and will likely see US eclipsed in space far sooner than most people realise. China will have half the number of Carriers that US has by 2022 and i expect it will surpass US in space soon after.

Whatever way you argue the advantages or disadvantages of Dragon versus Orion. Orion will cost around $350 mill by the time CCDEV is added and powered landing capability; Orion will have cost $8.5 billion. More than 20 times as much for a fairly similar thing. If Spacex had decided to build a 5m wide capsule with some delta v capability it may have cost a bit (say 50%) more but nowhere near 20 times more. Orion is a huge waste of public resource.

Similarly with SLS. The recent HEFT2 report quoted $17.5 bill to build a HLV. This new process will come up with a similar number and the thing will never be built. Unfortunately public procurement in the US is a totally corrupt process where as long as the congress members see the money being spent in their state they don't much care what it costs.

I believe that the US needs the most capable launch system at the best price. The best way to achieve that is by open tender without a 20,000 page spec. Just a list of capabilities.

Elon Musk said he could build it for $2.5 bill and whats more he said he couldn't imagine where he would spend all the money. I suggest that given Dragon versus Orion he is probably right and should at least be given the chance to tender

Offline Chris Bergin

Now this is just another one of "those threads" and we have several running.

Locked.
« Last Edit: 06/10/2011 01:34 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography