Author Topic: Fairing reuse  (Read 972983 times)

Offline Rebel44

• Liked: 546
  • Likes Given: 2012
Re: Fairing reuse
« Reply #920 on: 05/01/2017 06:40 pm »
One more tidbit just came through. Accuracy was about 4 miles from target.
4 miles from target for both halfs, or just recovered one, or just the one that wasnt recovered?

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #921 on: 05/01/2017 07:06 pm »
I think they are only fitting recovery hardware on one half right now.

Obviously (?) they can improve accuracy in the future. My question was: is it good enough now to start trying to avoid wetting the fairing? Unless they've already firmly decided not to pursue mid-air capture in any circumstances, it seems like they've cleared the blockers from the critical path for that option.
« Last Edit: 05/01/2017 07:07 pm by cscott »

Offline Dao Angkan

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #922 on: 05/01/2017 08:37 pm »
A hovercraft could cover 4 miles in a few minutes, it could also self inflate a "bouncy castle". Probably not good in rough seas though.
« Last Edit: 05/01/2017 08:39 pm by Dao Angkan »

Offline Doesitfloat

• Detroit MI
  • Liked: 499
  • Likes Given: 197
« Reply #923 on: 05/01/2017 09:08 pm »
They could just use a speedboat with a winch on the back.
Hook on the the para-foil harness and bring it back like a para sailor.

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2503
  • Likes Given: 2204
« Reply #924 on: 05/01/2017 11:49 pm »

This startling, state of the art digital rendering, along with the screen name "Does It Float" gets a like and a comment.

Matthew

« Reply #925 on: 05/05/2017 07:29 pm »
Any updates on the fairing yet? has it been spotted ? it seems like everyones really tight lipped at the moment about it

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 282
« Reply #926 on: 05/07/2017 02:17 pm »
Go Searcher still hasn't shown up on AIS.  The SES-10 fairing is sitting under tarps next to the Spacehab building, here are some crappy driveby pics I got after the first NROL attempt:

Edit: Go Searcher is back in port.
« Last Edit: 05/08/2017 01:48 pm by leetdan »

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #927 on: 05/14/2017 12:09 am »
some decent photos of the fairings for F9-FE (Full Expend)

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg1677217#msg1677217

the 3rd photo in the set shows a bit of the inside of the male-latch fairing, which i believe is the half that has been used in the recovery attempts

i think the missing section of black square might be the same as this piece seen in the new photo.

also, counting the squares at the base, we wouldnt be able to see the chute bags in this photo if they were there or not
« Last Edit: 05/14/2017 12:22 am by dorkmo »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #928 on: 05/14/2017 12:31 am »
F9-FE? Don't make up new abbreviations.

Offline faramund

• Australia
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #929 on: 05/14/2017 12:35 am »
Is there already an accepted abbreviation for this? If not, I don't see what's wrong with this. How else are new abbreviations established?

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #930 on: 05/14/2017 01:08 am »
Is there already an accepted abbreviation for this? If not, I don't see what's wrong with this. How else are new abbreviations established?

Why do we need an abbreviation for "expendable?"

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #931 on: 05/14/2017 03:36 am »
mostly joking, sorry lol. But it would be interesting if there turns out to be expendable launch scenarios with/without fairing recovery.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #932 on: 05/14/2017 05:47 am »
(fan)
Let SpaceX decide. We'll try to tease it out and once we do, use it. But making up our own seems a bad idea to me.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Jet Black

« Reply #933 on: 05/14/2017 05:07 pm »

This startling, state of the art digital rendering, along with the screen name "Does It Float" gets a like and a comment.

Matthew

It looks better than most North Korean propaganda photoshops though!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #934 on: 05/16/2017 11:35 pm »
Elon posted a video of a fairing post-separation on Instagram:

Moonlight Sonata

It's from the SES-10 mission.
« Last Edit: 05/16/2017 11:36 pm by old_sellsword »

« Reply #935 on: 05/17/2017 04:27 pm »
From my Instagram feed, Elon posted:

We did recover the fairing. It has onboard thrusters for positioning in space during reentry and a GPS guided parachute is deployed once it enters the atmosphere
« Last Edit: 05/17/2017 06:47 pm by mmustapic »

Offline rory

« Reply #936 on: 05/27/2017 05:51 pm »
I like the idea that they built a cheap but heavy fairing .... knowing that eventually they would reengineer it with more expensive but lighter materials... more expensive ONCE, yes,  but since now it's recoverable (the mass savings is used for whatever the recovery mechanism is), actually LESS expensive iff they mostly get it back.

they were thinking ahead.

People focus on SpaceX changing plans but they miss that they also have been taking the long view here for a long time.

Also I don't see the need for a lot of heat shielding (said upthread a lot).... These have very low density so terminal velocity is low.

Not sure why I was reading page 30 of this thread earlier this week... but this is contradicted by the video below. Elon explicitly says it's engineered to optimize for mass and claims it may even be the "lightest-weight fairing of its kind."

Offline Basto

• Salt Lake City, UT
  • Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 204
« Reply #937 on: 05/29/2017 06:44 pm »
I like the idea that they built a cheap but heavy fairing .... knowing that eventually they would reengineer it with more expensive but lighter materials... more expensive ONCE, yes,  but since now it's recoverable (the mass savings is used for whatever the recovery mechanism is), actually LESS expensive iff they mostly get it back.

People focus on SpaceX changing plans but they miss that they also have been taking the long view here for a long time.

Also I don't see the need for a lot of heat shielding (said upthread a lot).... These have very low density so terminal velocity is low.

Not sure why I was reading page 30 of this thread earlier this week... but this is contradicted by the video below. Elon explicitly says it's engineered to optimize for mass and claims it may even be the "lightest-weight fairing of its kind."

I think the key words here are "of its kind".

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #938 on: 05/29/2017 07:44 pm »

You do realize that this is a 7 yr old video, right? And this was YEARS before the first fairing actually flew, and by that point it had changed a lot. According to people knowledgeable on this forum, the actual flying fairing (not that early prototype) is not the lightest fairing of its kind. It may be the cheapest, but not the lightest.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1537
  • Likes Given: 1741
« Reply #939 on: 05/30/2017 04:47 am »
You do realize that this is a 7 yr old video, right?

Worse ... it's a NINE year old video.  It was uploaded (by whomever) in 2010, but was actuully shot in mid 2008.  He refers to Falcon 1 flights 3 and 4 in the future.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography