Author Topic: GSLV MkII F14 - INSAT-3DS - SLP - 17 February 2024 (12:05 UTC)  (Read 30779 times)

Offline eeergo

Bring forth the speeches!

"The naughty boy has become a very mature and disciplined boy!"
« Last Edit: 02/17/2024 11:28 am by eeergo »
-DaviD-

Offline eeergo

Solar array deployment confirmed, all looks fine with INSAT-3DS.
-DaviD-

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9627
  • Likes Given: 8212
https://twitter.com/TylerG1998/status/1758851087472435650

Mission success confirmed for #GSLV Mk II & INSAT 3DS, marking #ISRO’s 2nd successful launch of 2024.

Updated orbital launch count as of Feb. 17:

Earth 🌎 — 33

USA 🇺🇸 — 17
China 🇨🇳 — 8
Iran 🇮🇷 — 2
Russia 🇷🇺 — 2
Japan 🇯🇵 — 2
India 🇮🇳 — 2
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...I don't create this stuff, I just report it.

Offline catdlr

« Last Edit: 02/17/2024 02:01 pm by catdlr »

Offline K210

• Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 25
Congratulations ISRO for another successful GSLV launch!

Offline Angry_cat

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 6
Congratulations to Société Européenne de Propulsion of France for their liquid fuel Viking propulsion technology which performed flawlessly in this launch.

Further congratulations must also be extended to the Khrunichev State Research and Production Space Center of the former Soviet Union for their KVD-1 cryogenic propulsion technology which performed flawlessly for over 800 seconds in order to place the INSAT-3DS into the GTO orbit.

Thank you for your contribution to the Indian Space Program!
« Last Edit: 02/18/2024 02:14 am by Angry_cat »

Online TheVarun

• CANADA
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 183
Congrats to the Indian scientists, engineers and technicians who would have toiled for years to learn, absorb and develop a huge number of components and sub systems for ISRO'S launch vehicles. It's one thing to be exposed to ideas and designs; it's another to work hard, and long, to absorb know how, and then manufacturer a majority of the components, while also making adaptations and improvements in the original technology. .

Offline GWR64

• Germany
  • Liked: 1768
  • Likes Given: 1098

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Gerês - Portugal
  • Liked: 2017
  • Likes Given: 1178
Launch photos from ISRO's website...

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
...a few more.

Offline catdlr

...a few more.

Satori,

Is the first stage similar to the Russian Proton first stage, all hypergolic fuel, the center tank has no engine but feeds to the outer four engines?

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
...a few more.

Satori,

Is the first stage similar to the Russian Proton first stage, all hypergolic fuel, the center tank has no engine but feeds to the outer four engines?

Hi!

No. What we see is a solid propellant central core with four hypergolic strapons. The central core and the four strapons make the first stage and they separate all together from the second stage (hypergolic).

Offline catdlr

...a few more.

Satori,

Hi!

No. What we see is a solid propellant central core with four hypergolic strapons. The central core and the four strapons make the first stage and they separate all together from the second stage (hypergolic).

Thanks, Satori, Appreciate the response.  Tony

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1811
  • Likes Given: 1302
...a few more.

Satori,

Hi!

To be more precise about the GSLV Mark I/Mark II configuration. AIUI, the first stage is the 4 strapped-on boosters with a hypergolic engine on each booster. The core stage with the solid motor is the zero stage, since it got a shorter burn time of about 93 seconds than the strapped-on boosters with about 159 seconds as well as lower specific impulse. There is more hypergolic propellant mass in the strapped-on boosters than the propellant mass in the solid motor.

Offline catdlr

...a few more.

Satori,

Hi!

To be more precise about the GSLV Mark I/Mark II configuration. AIUI, the first stage is the 4 strapped-on boosters with a hypergolic engine on each booster. The core stage with the solid motor is the zero stage, since it got a shorter burn time of about 93 seconds than the strapped-on boosters with about 159 seconds as well as lower specific impulse. There is more hypergolic propellant mass in the strapped-on boosters than the propellant mass in the solid motor.

Did the center fire up at T-0 or was air started later?

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2379
  • Likes Given: 2077
...a few more.

Satori,

Hi!

Did the center fire up at T-0 or was air started later?

The L-40 boosters start at T-4.8 seconds with the S-138 core motor igniting at T0. The S-138 burns out at T+109 seconds with the boosters cutting off about 40 seconds later.

I think there's that disadvantage of the first stage carrying the dead weight of the S-138 while the boosters are firing.
« Last Edit: 02/18/2024 10:49 pm by ZachS09 »
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline GWR64

• Germany
  • Liked: 1768
  • Likes Given: 1098
late post,
ISRO
@isro
🛰️INSAT-3DS update:
All four planned Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM) firings are completed.

The spacecraft is now in the geosynchronous orbit.

It is expected to reach the In Orbit Testing (IOT) location by February 28, 2024.
https://twitter.com/isro/status/1760547564267639064

What's strange is that the tracking data on Celestrak, for example, still shows a GTO.
Although this data are more than 9 days old, but still younger than the ISRO update from February 22nd.

https://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/table.php?INTDES=2024-033
« Last Edit: 03/10/2024 04:14 pm by GWR64 »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3563
  • Likes Given: 1203
https://www.isro.gov.in/INSAT-3DS_imaging_Earth.html

INSAT-3DS begins imaging the Earth
Home / INSAT-3DS begins imaging the Earth

March 11, 2024

INSAT-3DS, the meteorological satellite, has initiated Earth imaging operations. The first set of images by the meteorological payloads (6-channel Imager and 19-channel Sounder) was captured on March 7, 2024.

The satellite was launched on February 17, 2024. After completing orbit-raising operations, the satellite reached the designated geostationary slot for the In Orbit Testing (IOT) on February 28, 2024. IOT of the Satellite Communications was conducted between February 29, 2024, and March 3, 2024. As part of Meteorological Payload IOT, the first session of imaging for Imager and Sounder payloads was carried out on March 7, 2024. The payload parameters are found to be nominal, complying with payload specifications. Thus, all the payloads of INSAT-3DS have been tested to perform nominally.

Imager and Sounder payloads onboard 3DS are similar to the payloads flown on 3D and 3DR. Significant improvements have been achieved in radiometric accuracy, black body calibration, thermal management, and imaging throughput, among others. The payloads are designed and developed at the Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad. The first images are processed and released at the Master Control Facility, Hasan.

The 6-channel imager equipment captures images of the Earth's surface and atmosphere across multiple spectral channels or wavelengths. The use of multiple channels allows for gathering information about various atmospheric and surface phenomena, such as clouds, aerosols, land surface temperature, vegetation health, and water vapour distribution. The imager could be configured to capture specific features of interest. The 19-channel sounder captures radiation emitted by the Earth's atmosphere through channels carefully chosen to capture radiation emitted by different atmospheric constituents and properties like water vapour, ozone, carbon dioxide, and other gases, while others may be designed to measure temperature variations in different layers of the atmosphere.

These Payloads generate over 40 geophysical data products such as Sea Surface Temperature, Rainfall (precipitation) Products, Land Surface Temperature, Fog Intensity, Outgoing Longwave Radiation, Atmospheric Motion Vectors, High-Resolution Winds, Upper Tropospheric Humidity, Cloud Properties, Smoke, Fire, Mean Surface Pressure, Temperature Profiles, Water Vapor Profiles, Surface Skin Temperature, Total Ozone, etc., for the user community. The data collected derive information about the vertical structure of the atmosphere, crucial for weather forecasting, climate monitoring, and understanding atmospheric processes.
INSAT-3DS begins imaging the Earth

Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography