Author Topic: RLV-TD HEX-01 (Suborbital), May 23, 2016  (Read 154031 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32988
  • Likes Given: 8606
Re: RLV-TD HEX-01 (Suborbital), End December 2015
« Reply #40 on: 11/28/2015 02:43 am »
Launch is now scheduled for January 2016. From

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Thiruvananthapuram/isro-set-to-test-scramjet-engine/article7926217.ece

"Meanwhile, ISRO is preparing for the first experimental flight of the RLV-TD (Technology Demonstrator). The vehicle is undergoing flight integration at the VSSC before being moved to Bengaluru for acoustic testing and later to Sriharikotta for the launch expected to take place in January."
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline antriksh

• Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: RLV-TD HEX-01 (Suborbital), NET January 2016
« Reply #41 on: 12/22/2015 04:21 pm »
The technology demonstration programme will take place probably around first week of February when a scaled model of reusable vehicle will be flown to space and brought down to the Bay of Bengal, said an Isro spokesperson.

This year, the space agency completed studies related to the rocket by carrying out various simulations. It also validated the onboard software and conducted a successful test of the solid booster motor (HS9) with Secondary Injection Thrust Vector Control system

Source
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

From: 1st verse of 129th Hymn of the 10th Book of Rig Veda

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
Re: RLV-TD HEX-01 (Suborbital), February 2016
« Reply #42 on: 12/27/2015 11:06 pm »
Delayed again.. A technical snag this time.

Sources said on Sunday that the Reusable Launch Vehicle-Technology Demonstrator (RLV-TD), under development at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) here at Thumba, developed a minor leak during a test, forcing the ISRO to postpone the mission

VSSC Director Dr K Sivan said that some of the components had to be re-assembled. "If things go as planned, we can launch the mission in the first week of February. Otherwise, the test will be conducted in the first week of April,"

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/kerala/ISROs-RLV-TD-Project-Likely-to-be-Delayed/2015/12/28/article3199197.ece
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline Ohsin

Re: RLV-TD HEX-01 (Suborbital), February or April 2016
« Reply #43 on: 12/29/2015 04:32 am »
He said here on Monday that the project was still in the experimental stage and the demonstration vehicle will have a range of 100 km, though eventually it will be like a space shuttle. The ISRO uses multi-stage rockets for satellite launch, but the reusable vehicle will be a single-stage rocket to start with. The single-stage rocket will have a solid propellant stored in casing. For a reusable vehicle, the casings have to be re-used or rebuilt and its evolution will hinge on cost benefits, said the ISRO chairman.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/reusable-launch-vehicle-trial-in-2016-says-isro-chairman/article8039456.ece

Offline antriksh

« Reply #44 on: 12/29/2015 05:12 am »
The single-stage rocket will have a solid propellant stored in casing. For a reusable vehicle, the casings have to be re-used or rebuilt and its evolution will hinge on cost benefits, said the ISRO chairman.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/reusable-launch-vehicle-trial-in-2016-says-isro-chairman/article8039456.ece

WTF!! solid propellant? rlv-td booster is not meant to be reused.
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #45 on: 12/29/2015 05:54 am »
The single-stage rocket will have a solid propellant stored in casing. For a reusable vehicle, the casings have to be re-used or rebuilt and its evolution will hinge on cost benefits, said the ISRO chairman.

My reaction was same! It made me think of winged solid booster thing and all(Hell it even looks like those  flyback strapon boosters on that paper contraption from DLR). I think he just means that they will attempt to recover the HS9 casing as well.
« Last Edit: 12/29/2015 05:56 am by Ohsin »

Offline antriksh

« Reply #46 on: 12/29/2015 08:20 am »

My reaction was same! It made me think of winged solid booster thing and all(Hell it even looks like those  flyback strapon boosters on that paper contraption from DLR). I think he just means that they will attempt to recover the HS9 casing as well.

hehe..this news gives some screwed up description of RLV that I heard for the first time. Whatever they do, just pray they do the experiment by april. I am hoping for two HEX experiments in this year. I hope that single HEX achieves all the objectives for them, so they can move on the LEX.
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline vineethgk

• India
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #47 on: 12/29/2015 03:36 pm »
I'm not really sure if it is a good idea for ISRO to give this test much publicity. I know of people who are under the impression that ISRO has mastered technology for reusable spaceships and are in the threshold of operationalizing it through this test, especially so due to the publicity of SpaceX's recent success. Many are not aware that this test is merely the first step in a long development program. :-\
« Last Edit: 12/29/2015 03:38 pm by vineethgk »

Offline kanaka

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #48 on: 12/30/2015 12:53 am »
I'm not really sure if it is a good idea for ISRO to give this test much publicity. I know of people who are under the impression that ISRO has mastered technology for reusable spaceships and are in the threshold of operationalizing it through this test, especially so due to the publicity of SpaceX's recent success. Many are not aware that this test is merely the first step in a long development program. :-\

I felt that followers are more enthusiastic and active in publicizing, publishing and discussing about the activities @ ISRO more than ISRO officials themselves :)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #49 on: 01/01/2016 07:56 pm »
good looking craft

Potential delay for first test flight of India's spaceplane demonstrator
http://www.gizmag.com/india-spaceplane-launch-delay/41087/

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline kanaka

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #50 on: 01/02/2016 02:06 am »
good looking craft

Potential delay for first test flight of India's spaceplane demonstrator
http://www.gizmag.com/india-spaceplane-launch-delay/41087/

Delays should not discourage or impact the mission. Such delays can be ignored as long as the progress is good towards realizing the mission purpose. Request ISRO not to disclose the schedules in a hurry that is causing stress and pressure on themselves.

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #51 on: 01/02/2016 02:10 am »
Gizmag...Avatar... >:(

https://xkcd.com/978/

Does anyone have dimensions on TDV? All I have is 1m diameter on fuselage and may be ~6.5m length.
« Last Edit: 01/02/2016 02:18 am by Ohsin »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #52 on: 01/02/2016 02:49 am »
The Avatar is SSTO, capable of 1000kg. Has some radical technology ie ramjet + scramjet + rocket, will launch with LH and collect LOX inflight for final stage of flight. If it works they will scale it up. But even 1000kg at $500/kg would open up space and could be used to supply fuel depots.

ISRO are nothing if not ambitious, pull this off and they stand to become a leading space faring nation.

As side note. The concept of extracting LOX from atmosphere during flight could also be applied to Reaction engines Skylon.

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #53 on: 01/02/2016 03:12 am »
The Avatar is SSTO, capable of 1000kg. Has some radical technology ie ramjet + scramjet + rocket, will launch with LH and collect LOX inflight for final stage of flight. If it works they will scale it up. But even 1000kg at $500/kg would open up space and could be used to supply fuel depots.

ISRO are nothing if not ambitious, pull this off and they stand to become a leading space faring nation.

As side note. The concept of extracting LOX from atmosphere during flight could also be applied to Reaction engines Skylon.

You will not find ISRO ever mentioning it. Not their project. People wrongly call TSTO and RLV-TD as Avatar, wiki being the culprit.

Offline sportyfailure

• India
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #54 on: 01/13/2016 05:09 am »
RLV-TD's solid booster is called as RLV-SB as per the dev team's publication A. Parhi et al. / Aerospace Science and Technology 43 (2015)
The booster has around 9200 kg of propellant with a max.thrust of 320 kN.

And this booster has a SITVC for attitude control. But this SITVC uses a toroidal tank around the nozzle instead of side mounted tanks seen in PSLV. See attached image.

Offline chota

• Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #55 on: 01/20/2016 08:04 pm »
RLV-TD's solid booster is called as RLV-SB as per the dev team's publication A. Parhi et al. / Aerospace Science and Technology 43 (2015)
The booster has around 9200 kg of propellant with a max.thrust of 320 kN.

And this booster has a SITVC for attitude control. But this SITVC uses a toroidal tank around the nozzle instead of side mounted tanks seen in PSLV. See attached image.

minor leak during a test

Leak in a solid booster based RLV-TD? From that SITVC tank?

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6553
  • Likes Given: 157
Re: RLV-TD HEX-01 (Suborbital), 2016-H2
« Reply #56 on: 02/07/2016 12:05 am »
So, 1st of week of Feb. has passed, so I assume next slot will be April, however it would be nice to see an updated image..

It this still the best there is out there?
« Last Edit: 02/07/2016 12:05 am by Jester »

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1539
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #57 on: 02/07/2016 07:26 am »
So, 1st of week of Feb. has passed, so I assume next slot will be April.
Please have a look at the title of this thread ;)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4709
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #58 on: 02/07/2016 03:51 pm »
So, 1st of week of Feb. has passed, so I assume next slot will be April, however it would be nice to see an updated image..

It this still the best there is out there?
image wise yes, i haven't seen anything newer released.

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #59 on: 03/12/2016 11:01 am »
The scaled-down model of the reusable launch vehicle (RLV) India is planning to build is expected to be shifted from the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) here at Thumba to the Sriharikota spaceport by the end of March.
"We hope to have the test some time in May. It will come after the next PSLV mission which will carry the seventh and final satellite in the IRNSS (Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System) series," VSSC director Dr K Sivan told this paper.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/kerala/ISROs-RLV-TD-Mission-Launch-Likely-in-May/2016/03/11/article3321258.ece

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography