Author Topic: PSLV C16, Resourcesat-2 - April 20, 2011  (Read 40573 times)

Offline pradeep

• Mumbai, India
    • Pradeep's Blog
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Indian PSLV C16 launch - April 20, 2011
« Reply #60 on: 04/25/2011 09:39 am »
ISRO has posted on its website about various orbit correcting procedures done on RESOURCESAT-2 since the PSLV was not able to place it in an accurate enough orbit. Orbit trimming was done on April 22: http://isro.gov.in/pressrelease/scripts/pressreleasein.aspx?Apr25_2011

More over the report says:
Immediately after the injection of the satellite, the two solar panels were deployed. The three Imaging Cameras have been oriented towards Earth. All operations and health checks required prior to switching on the three Imaging Cameras have been satisfactorily completed.

Orbital trimming manoeuvre was conducted successfully on April 22, 2011, and RESOURCESAT-2 is now placed in the final orbital configuration in a sun-synchronous polar orbit with perigee of 813 km; apogee of 825 km and inclination of 98.78 degree.

Operation of the Imaging cameras is scheduled to commence on April 28, 2011. The first imaging pass on April 28th is expected to cover about 3000 km stretch of Indian landmass from JOSHIMUT (in Uttarakhand) to KANNUR (in Kerala).

Pradeep

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1534
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #61 on: 04/25/2011 10:28 am »
An amateur-produced elset results in the following orbit for Resourcesat-2: 821 x 824km inclined 98.78° on April 23 at 2130UTC
« Last Edit: 04/25/2011 10:40 am by input~2 »

Online jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 766
Re: LIVE: Indian PSLV C16 launch - April 20, 2011
« Reply #62 on: 04/26/2011 04:48 am »

Pradeep - you're right that I am being speculative here. But it is informed speculation. I would bet money that I'm right. If it turns out there is another reason (I haven't thought of a plausible one) I'll certainly print a retraction.

- Jonathan

Pradeep - you should have taken the bet! I was wrong. I was wrong, wrong, wrong. As you pointed out to me on facebook, TLEs have now belatedly become available. I hereby retract. Egg, face, me, all over.
 - Jonathan
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline pradeep

• Mumbai, India
    • Pradeep's Blog
Re: LIVE: Indian PSLV C16 launch - April 20, 2011
« Reply #63 on: 04/26/2011 03:45 pm »
Pradeep - you should have taken the bet! I was wrong. I was wrong, wrong, wrong. As you pointed out to me on facebook, TLEs have now belatedly become available. I hereby retract. Egg, face, me, all over.
 - Jonathan

Jonathan

I am a new satellite hobbyist and my position was only out of the fact that India has never supressed TLEs. I exchanged emails on this with Ted Molczan and to quote him -
Official TLEs of Resourcesat 2 finally began to be released today (Apr 25 UTC), on Space Track. So far, only two TLE
sets have appeared, and it is too soon to judge whether this is a permanent change of policy.

I am new and am trying to learn! ISRO, on its own never releases such information because probably there is no consumer of such information in India. I think you must try and find out why there was a delay in the release of this information. Just for curiosity's sake.

You don't have to apologise!

Pradeep

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #64 on: 04/26/2011 04:10 pm »
It is certainly very strange that all of the objects from this launch had Two-Line Orbital Elements issued by USSSN immediately after the launch, but it took so long for data for the main satellite to appear.

I am sure that there is an innocent explanation but I cannot immediately think of it, other than some dumb bureaucratic error within USSSN.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Online jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
« Reply #65 on: 04/26/2011 08:03 pm »
It is certainly very strange that all of the objects from this launch had Two-Line Orbital Elements issued by USSSN immediately after the launch, but it took so long for data for the main satellite to appear.

I am sure that there is an innocent explanation but I cannot immediately think of it, other than some dumb bureaucratic error within USSSN.

Well, note that between the first set of elements for A (actually issued in error under the D object's number) and the new set, there was an orbit maneuver.

So my alternate theory is that it did an orbit adjust while they were still trying to figure out which object was which, and they  lost the damn thing for a few days. Not very impressive if true.

Jonathan McDowell

Offline pradeep

• Mumbai, India
    • Pradeep's Blog
« Reply #66 on: 04/27/2011 06:20 am »
Well, note that between the first set of elements for A (actually issued in error under the D object's number) and the new set, there was an orbit maneuver.

So my alternate theory is that it did an orbit adjust while they were still trying to figure out which object was which, and they  lost the damn thing for a few days. Not very impressive if true.

They seem to have changed all of the designations on April 21. RESOURCESAT-2 was initially labelled D and then changed to A. YOUTHSAT was the original A became B. XSat which was B became C. And the rocket body which was C became D. So, now:

2011-015A - RESOURCESAT-2
2011-015B - YOUTHSAT
2011-015C - XSat
2011-015D - rocket body

No idea on why this was done.

-Pradeep

Online jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
« Reply #67 on: 04/27/2011 08:02 pm »

They seem to have changed all of the designations on April 21. RESOURCESAT-2 was initially labelled D and then changed to A. YOUTHSAT was the original A became B. XSat which was B became C. And the rocket body which was C became D. So, now:

2011-015A - RESOURCESAT-2
2011-015B - YOUTHSAT
2011-015C - XSat
2011-015D - rocket body

No idea on why this was done.

-Pradeep

They do that kind of stuff pretty often - confusion when they are first tracking a cluster of sats not knowing which is which.

Jonathan McDowell

Offline pradeep

• Mumbai, India
    • Pradeep's Blog
« Reply #68 on: 05/03/2011 03:07 am »
ISRO has posted RESOURCESAT-2 LISS-IV pictures in the set released as part of ISRO efforts to find the Arunachal Pradesh CM. You can find the picture posted here - http://www.nrsc.gov.in/arun/Slide3.JPG - not high quality because of cloud cover.

Pradeep

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1960
  • Likes Given: 1142
« Reply #69 on: 05/04/2011 12:29 pm »
Is there any indication of the dates when the diferent stages were mounted on the launch platform?

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1534
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #70 on: 05/14/2011 01:30 pm »
Initial Resourcesat-2 hi-res images
http://www.nrsc.gov.in/tmp-images/Resourcesat2.html
« Last Edit: 05/15/2011 04:43 pm by input~2 »

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
Re: PSLV C16, Resourcesat-2 - April 20, 2011
« Reply #71 on: 07/22/2023 02:34 am »
From June 2023 monthly report: https://www.isro.gov.in/media_isro/pdf/Monthly_summary/Monthly_Summary_June2023_Eng.pdf

There was a Critical conjunction between Resourcesat-2 and another active satellite MetopC owned by Eumetsat on 7 June 2023. ISRO coordinated with both MetopC team and NASA’s CARA team regarding this conjunction. Resourcesat-2 has undergone regular ground track maintenance manoeuvre and the conjunction is mitigated.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography