Author Topic: Following NSF and the Space Program on WAP and Mobile  (Read 36872 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Following NSF and the Space Program on WAP and Mobile
« Reply #20 on: 05/29/2009 01:14 am »
What about Windows powered phones like HTC for those who avoid Mac hardware?

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #21 on: 05/29/2009 01:17 am »
Looks good on the HTC that I tried - what's the issue with your Jim?

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #22 on: 05/29/2009 01:17 am »
Oh goody, a platform war!

It would be nice if it was optimized for WebKit in general and not just iPhone; that way Android and other WebKit platforms would benefit as well.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline Chris Bergin

Oh goody, a platform war!

It would be nice if it was optimized for WebKit in general and not just iPhone; that way Android and other WebKit platforms would benefit as well.

I'm sure that's the plan. Mark's just covering the bases with all the mobile platforms. I wouldn't know, as I use my phone for phone calls, but apparently the site already works on a lot of phones.

And there's no Mac bias here, anything but (Gates has historically benefited from my computer purchases....thus I happily kneel before Zod ;))
« Last Edit: 05/29/2009 01:23 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #24 on: 05/29/2009 01:56 am »
Looks good on the HTC that I tried - what's the issue with your Jim?

I've been using the standard mobile version (text only) on my iPAQ for quite a while now... no issues.

Offline mhellesen

• Wisconsin, USA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: 05/29/2009 02:12 am »
Beautiful work!  Much easier to read. 

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

Offline JLicklider

• Orlando, FL
« Reply #26 on: 05/29/2009 02:16 am »
Excellent! Combining two of my favorite things, this website and my iPhone!

However, I tried to reply to this thread from my iPhone, but it instantly says the session timed out each time.  I am logged in to both web and mobile, at the same time.  Could that be an issue?

Joey
"Put 'Lucky' on my tombstone, but not too soon." -Michael Collins

Offline foltster

• NC
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #27 on: 05/29/2009 04:21 am »
The new version of the forum looks great on the iphone but i cannot post!  I receive a session timeout error.  Is there an option to use the full version of the forum on the iphone?  I would appreciate having the choice :-)

-Scott

PS  After browsing the forum from my phone I am finding the iPhone specific version very frustrating to use as some of my most frequently used features are missing.  For instance, viewing updates to a thread I have already read the first 10 pages of requires loading 10 pages as i dont see an option to jump pages, nor does the iphone version jump to the last read post.  Just need a way to disable the iPhone version for now since it is autodetecting...
« Last Edit: 05/29/2009 04:37 am by foltster »

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #28 on: 05/29/2009 08:43 am »
Thanks for the feedback all. Remember, it's not 100% sure this iPhone version is to stay, but wanted to get your feedback on this matter to decided if it's worth the efforts.

Is there an option to use the full version of the forum on the iphone?  I would appreciate having the choice :-)

On the homepage there's a button (left top corner of the page) called 'Classic'. That takes you to the regular version of the site.

However, I tried to reply to this thread from my iPhone, but it instantly says the session timed out each time.

Will work on this one. Keep an eye on this thread for updates.

For instance, viewing updates to a thread I have already read the first 10 pages of requires loading 10 pages as i dont see an option to jump pages, nor does the iphone version jump to the last read post.

When you are logged in and looking at the list of topics there should be a button called 'new' next to each topic that has hew posts since your last visit. Clicking this would take you to the last reply you actually read, so you can continue reading.

The page number needs to be incorporated, but i'm not really sure at the moment where/how I would place them. Any suggestions on that are more than welcome.

Mark

Offline foltster

• NC
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #29 on: 05/29/2009 01:30 pm »
  Is there an option to use the full version of the forum on the iphone?  I would appreciate having the choice :-)

On the homepage there's a button (left top corner of the page) called 'Classic'. That takes you to the regular version of the site.

I can't find this button on my iPhone.  When I navigate to the home page with the NSF logo w/Nebula, the only options I have at the top of page are Back(top left) and Menu(top right).  Back takes me to a forum(General Discusion) and Menu scrolls to the bottom of the page where the black menu bar is.

-Scott
« Last Edit: 05/29/2009 01:30 pm by foltster »

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #30 on: 05/29/2009 04:57 pm »
I can't find this button on my iPhone. 

Should be there now (just right of the Back button)

Also the session timeouts are gone as well. You should be able to post replies etc..

Still working on the page numbering/jumping

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #31 on: 05/30/2009 03:40 am »
Oh, this isn't good at all.  I'll never get to look at the waitresses at Hooters. ;)  They have free wifi and now I can read NSF on my Touch.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: 05/30/2009 12:48 pm »
I'm getting session timeouts on my iPhone on reply, still.

LOVE the layout though.

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #33 on: 05/30/2009 03:40 pm »
It looks excellent, I don't think I can fault the layout, although you could switch avatars off to gain back some valuable screen space.

Also, it would be great if the "Unread Topics" link was available, as that's how I usually use the forum.

Offline mark147

« Reply #34 on: 05/30/2009 09:31 pm »
This is great - please keep it!

Agree with Crispy that the Unread Topics link would be very useful - that's always where I start when I visit the site.

Great layout.  Avatars are fine as they are I think - the text flows under them on longer posts anyway.  Site works great 'sideways' on the iPhone too.

Offline EE Scott

• Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 356
« Reply #35 on: 05/30/2009 09:49 pm »
Yep, I do very much like the views on my iPhone.  Very easy to read layout.  I would agree that the avatars might be taking up a bit too much screen space, but that's a nit for me.
Scott

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #36 on: 05/30/2009 09:52 pm »
Thanks again for the feedback! I'm going to try to incorporate as much as the comments and suggestions as possible. Please keep checking your phone  ;) and this thread for updates.

Mark

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #37 on: 05/30/2009 10:51 pm »
The site looks great so far.   There are a couple of issues, but nothing too problematic IMHO.

1) Thread Page Numbers.   Implement the exact same "look and feel" showing the thread pages number as used on the regular site.   Either that or you could do it by implementing six buttons: "First", "Last", "Previous", "Next", "Previous -5" and "Next +5" -- Those would allow one to navigate fairly quickly through even some pretty long threads.

2) Remove the code which forces a page-reload every few minutes while looking at posts -- it is very disturbing.

3) Add the ability to alter the number of posts which are visible per page -- and include the option to "show all".

4) I still can't find the "Classic Look" button anywhere.

That should provide a really useful interface IMHO.

All the best with this new -- and very useful -- feature, you've got off to a great start so far, thank-you!

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline quickshot89

« Reply #38 on: 05/30/2009 11:33 pm »
Posting this via my touch. This is great news for us ipod users !!

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #39 on: 05/31/2009 03:35 am »
Well I had it in the mobile format and tested the classic button and it works. The one problem is that now I can't get it back to the mobile version! lol :D

Please Help :)
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography