Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375388 times)

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #780 on: 02/17/2017 01:21 pm »
Thank you, done!

I imagine that I will still see a "new" icon in the thread listing if the ignored user posts into it, and I understand that that's probably unavoidable.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #781 on: 02/17/2017 01:23 pm »
Thank you, done!

I imagine that I will still see a "new" icon in the thread listing if the ignored user posts into it, and I understand that that's probably unavoidable.

Depends how many times I post, I guess! ;)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #782 on: 03/05/2017 05:18 pm »
A relative uses TalkTalk as their ISP. Whenever I visit, connection to NSF is ifffy; occasionally it connects, frequently it does not (see screen grab below). It's been like this for years. Most frustrating. Ideas anyone?

Edit: Typo
« Last Edit: 03/05/2017 05:19 pm by Arb »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #783 on: 03/06/2017 12:38 pm »
That's down to the ISP - and talktalk are rubbish - not us. We've had no outages in months.
« Last Edit: 03/06/2017 12:38 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline tappa

• Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #784 on: 03/10/2017 06:32 am »
Hi, when I try to access NSF from my phone I get the following message "Sorry tappa, you are banned from using this forum. This is a Spam Account. This Ban is not set to expire"

Can the Admins please help? I have been a member for many years & am usually a lurker & occasionally post a few articles etc. So not sure why I'm getting this message.

Please help!

Added Later:
Member since 2007.
Am posting this message from my laptop. 
« Last Edit: 03/10/2017 06:34 am by tappa »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #785 on: 03/10/2017 07:28 am »
A relative uses TalkTalk as their ISP. Whenever I visit, connection to NSF is ifffy; occasionally it connects, frequently it does not (see screen grab below). It's been like this for years. Most frustrating. Ideas anyone?

I use them and haven't had anything like that in a while. It can be down to whole bunch of factors outside of your ISP's control including how far you are from your local telephone exchange.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #786 on: 03/10/2017 11:35 am »
Hi, when I try to access NSF from my phone I get the following message "Sorry tappa, you are banned from using this forum. This is a Spam Account. This Ban is not set to expire"

Can the Admins please help? I have been a member for many years & am usually a lurker & occasionally post a few articles etc. So not sure why I'm getting this message.

Please help!

Added Later:
Member since 2007.

Hey!

So this obviously isn't you banned (not least because you wouldn't be able to post this), but you've managed to cross over into an IP address that was banned (a spammer). So it'll either never be a problem again as you move off that IP address or you need to tell me what IP address it is if it comes up again so that I can remove that banned IP address from the list.

But you're not banned.
« Last Edit: 03/10/2017 11:36 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline tappa

• Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #787 on: 03/10/2017 03:28 pm »

Please help!

Added Later:
Member since 2007.

Hey!

So this obviously isn't you banned (not least because you wouldn't be able to post this), but you've managed to cross over into an IP address that was banned (a spammer). So it'll either never be a problem again as you move off that IP address or you need to tell me what IP address it is if it comes up again so that I can remove that banned IP address from the list.

But you're not banned.

Thanks Chris, that's a relief!! I did realize it must be some weird bug, else I would not have been able to post via my laptop.

Not sure if it is an IP problem, for the following reason.

My laptop & phone are both connected to the same WiFi network at home & office. While my phone occasionally moves to Data network. At both home & office I'm able to connect via my laptop but get this message when I connect from my phone (nexus 5, chrome browser). I checked on both phone & laptop the IP is the same 49.206.114.15.

I suspect if it could be due to cookies on my phone. I will update once I figure out how to clear cookies for NSF site on my phone browser.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #788 on: 03/10/2017 05:46 pm »
49.206.114.15 isn't a banned IP address and what you managed to post the above post via!

You also recently logged in on a different IP address (also not banned). Also via "track user" in admin, I see a bunch of IP addresses (over 30 different ones) you've used in your history.

Baffling. You're clearly ok on the above IP you cited and another most recent one used, but that's a legit ban message. Your username isn't banned, your registered e-mail isn't banned and that IP address isn't banned!

I can only think you somehow got jumped into a different IP address that was banned. If it happens again, e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll hit your profile to see the latest IP address used and see if that's on the ban list and remove it from the list.

PS The ban list is only about 150 IP addresses, which is a ban we put on when a spammer hits us (stops them re-registering and hitting us again).

Offline Arb

• London
« Reply #789 on: 03/10/2017 09:38 pm »

I use them and haven't had anything like that in a while. It can be down to whole bunch of factors outside your ISP's control including how far you are from your local telephone exchange.
They are very far from the exchange; that'll be it most likely. Thanks.

Offline Arb

• London
« Reply #790 on: 04/15/2017 12:19 am »
A relative uses TalkTalk as their ISP. Whenever I visit, connection to NSF is ifffy; occasionally it connects, frequently it does not (see screen grab below above). It's been like this for years. Most frustrating. Ideas anyone?

I use them and haven't had anything like that in a while. It can be down to whole bunch of factors outside your ISP's control including how far you are from your local telephone exchange.
They are very far from the exchange; that'll be it most likely. Thanks.

That's down to the ISP - and talktalk are rubbish - not us. We've had no outages in months.

Am back with the relative and back to the problem. Not trying to lay blame Chris, just understand what's going on so as to fix it if possible. Thing is, I've used around twenty different sites today and while they can be slow (looking at you Twitter) they all work otherwise as normal. NSF alone gives that timeout message, very frequently. So there must be something different about NSF. Question is what. It may well be related to talktalk and being far from the exchange but still, why only NSF. Is there something unusual about your server configuration? A question for your technical support team perhaps.

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #791 on: 05/15/2017 02:52 pm »
Looks like there's an ad script that is misbehaving and blowing up my browser navigation list (see nsfbug, attached).  It keeps attempting to reload an ad, which the browser is interpreting as a new navigation, utterly flummoxing the back button.

The attached file nsfbug2 is a screenshot of the firefox developer panel's network tab during this time.  The same ad keeps getting requested over and over.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #792 on: 05/15/2017 03:45 pm »
No other reports suggest it could be a rouge google ad, which is why it's not impacting more than possibly you or a few others, but "one" is one too many, so let me hit the siren and see if Mark will slide down the firehouse poll! :)
« Last Edit: 05/15/2017 03:52 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #793 on: 05/15/2017 03:56 pm »
FWIW, adtech Javascript sometimes is never QA'd before release. Look at the browser's console for any Javascript errors.

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #794 on: 05/15/2017 04:28 pm »
I am using ublock origin addon with FF and it seems to get rid of a lot of these errors...
I was getting a firefox update message everytime I went to wunderground and the ad blocker stopped this.
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
« Reply #795 on: 05/15/2017 05:54 pm »
I am using ublock origin addon with FF and it seems to get rid of a lot of these errors...
I was getting a firefox update message everytime I went to wunderground and the ad blocker stopped this.
Some of us are on company-owned computers for which we are only allowed to install a very limited selection of software -- ad blocking extensions are not included among that list.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #796 on: 05/18/2017 01:13 pm »
I just came here to report the same problem.  I didn't know it was due to ad reloads, just knew that the back button had broken.  This started happening about 2-3 weeks ago, and only with NSF.  Although, I do spend a lot of time with NSF :)
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
« Reply #797 on: 05/20/2017 12:42 pm »
The mobile version of the form suddenly stopped working for me this morning. I was on a page in the mobile site and clicked another thread and it loaded in desktop. Now everything is loading in desktop. I tried new tabs and fresh links and NSF is loading desktop and other sites are still loading mobile. I'm on a Pixel XL with Chrome.

Thanks.

EDIT: And its working again. Weird.
« Last Edit: 05/20/2017 12:51 pm by intrepidpursuit »

Offline virnin

• Kansas
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #798 on: 05/26/2017 08:18 pm »
I didn't find a thread for broken ads, apologize of my search-fu was insufficient

Any page that has this advertisement at the bottom shows a continuous reload in FireFox.  It's the only Ad that seems to trigger this:

http://amzn.to/2hQQNeA

I have NOT clicked the Ad to check for anything more harmful since I'm currently on a work computer (and I hate being unemployed).

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography