Author Topic: Which Artists Should Fly on DearMoon?  (Read 11018 times)

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
Re: Which Artists Should Fly on DearMoon?
« Reply #20 on: 09/18/2018 02:51 pm »
To reinforce hopalong, I've done 3 gs in a centrifuge for 24 minutes with no problems.

All good suggestion so far but I would add all the remaining Apollo astronauts.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #21 on: 09/18/2018 02:54 pm »
To reinforce hopalong, I've done 3 gs in a centrifuge for 24 minutes with no problems.

Careful not to put all your eggs in one basket.

Offline hopalong

• Milton Keynes
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #22 on: 09/18/2018 02:58 pm »

Careful not to put all your eggs in one basket.

Alas, all the Apollo astronauts left with us are pushing 90, if not more. I am afraid this has come too late for them.  :(

Offline Elvis in Space

• Elvis is Everywhere
  • Still on Earth
  • Liked: 771
  • Likes Given: 6319
« Reply #23 on: 09/18/2018 03:01 pm »
The pool will be diminished by the usual process - First they have to want to go. Then the volunteers must be in good enough shape, physically, mentally, emotionally, etc to make the trip. Some of this may prove more challenging with the arts crowd. They may also have to be vetted based on freedom from political interference. Are these people in their productive prime? How adept at communicating their experience? All kinds of stuff like that. Then each participant will likely require a backup that also qualifies. In the end I expect that most of these people will be names we've never heard of from all over the world. Don't expect to see Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. 
Cheeseburgers on Mars!

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 887
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #24 on: 09/18/2018 03:29 pm »
btw.. a big point of the BFR is fast turnaround. We might quickly have dozens of successful unmanned test flights before any manned flight, and after this first trip round the moon soon get to the point of a trip from the same vehicle every month or in theory once a week! This is a different paradigm from eg the FH scheme or that plan for a free return trip past mars.

Wasnt the ultimate price per orbit down to as low as 7 million? Im not sure if they could get the full 100 people round the moon without a refuel but you could begin to get a pretty good price if people become confident that this is genuinely safe.. maybe 100-200k for 5 days in zero g and two separate close lunar flybys?

Offline KelvinZero

« Reply #25 on: 09/18/2018 03:54 pm »
I was recently wondering what zero gee martial arts would look like. (actually I was wondering what lunar martial arts would look like, but similar)

This is art, but also an interesting technical problem. I also don't think there would be any worry of two martial artists having writers block. They would definitely make progress. They are just figuring out the rules of a new sort of dance. Judo, aikido etc.

I don't think there need be any great risk of injury from mature professionals either, in fact less than on earth. Most serious martial arts injuries in movies seem to come from falls!

I was also thinking the sort of wire work we see in martial arts movies could the real thing in zero-gee.. which could possibly be a new fad for science fiction movies, just like wire work was a sudden fad in movies. Im not saying they would be filmed in zero gee.. computer graphics will probably become cheaper. I mean action movies would work zero-gee into their plots so that they could show martial arts that looks as impressive as wirework, while actually depicting a physically accurate scenario.

Offline Elvis in Space

• Elvis is Everywhere
  • Still on Earth
  • Liked: 771
  • Likes Given: 6319
« Reply #26 on: 09/18/2018 05:20 pm »
I was recently wondering what zero gee martial arts would look like.

Zero G Ballet? There's another group of artists to consider. Imagine that grace and fluid motion in zero gravity with the lunar surface passing in the windows behind them? A dedicated flight might even pay for itself with such a performance. Probably many such things we have yet to consider.  8)
Cheeseburgers on Mars!

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #27 on: 09/18/2018 05:37 pm »
How would you change direction? Dancing/fighting would need to have some interaction with the surroundings, you'd need some configurable studio space on the BFS.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #28 on: 09/18/2018 05:58 pm »
Roger Waters of Pink Floyd

Offline KelvinZero

« Reply #29 on: 09/19/2018 03:49 am »
I was recently wondering what zero gee martial arts would look like.

Zero G Ballet? There's another group of artists to consider. Imagine that grace and fluid motion in zero gravity with the lunar surface passing in the windows behind them? A dedicated flight might even pay for itself with such a performance. Probably many such things we have yet to consider.  8)
This could be interesting in zero-g:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribbon_(rhythmic_gymnastics)

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #30 on: 09/19/2018 04:01 am »
I'm surprised no one has suggested Elton John.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18201
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #31 on: 09/19/2018 06:26 am »
Waste of bandwidth this thread is.

Yusaku Maezawa will be the one deciding who gets to fly with him. He and no-one else.

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 20640
« Reply #32 on: 09/19/2018 07:55 am »

Yusaku Maezawa will be the one deciding who gets to fly with him. He and no-one else.

Buzzkill...  Even though correct. 

There are surely a horde of us on this site who are wistfully hoping that we could be one of those lucky folks.  I suspect that a few of us actually could suggest a viable candidate in mind who may be ultimately one of The Chosen, so what harm in fielding some candidates?

Perhaps in 2023 we can necro this thread and see if anybody got anywhere close...

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 20640
« Reply #33 on: 09/19/2018 07:58 am »
Tim Dodd, the Everyday Astronaut might even have a leg up.  After all, he did ask one of the most resonant questions during Q&A... And maybe put himself on M.Z.'s radar.

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #34 on: 09/19/2018 08:10 am »
Given the kind of art Mr Maezawa purchases, i would think he will offer a ride to Jeff Koons or Richard Prince.
« Last Edit: 09/19/2018 08:14 am by hektor »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #35 on: 09/19/2018 08:22 am »

I am sure that could be said of a huge chunk of the Internet, yet here we are.

Offline alang

• Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #36 on: 09/23/2018 12:58 pm »

Whatever produces the most merchandising opportunities.
Don't get me wrong. I see that as a positive thing. NASA took the greatest adventure and made it boring for those who didn't have enough scientific and engineering background to understand how difficult it was. This time, getting the mass of people to pay voluntarily for other people's spaceflight is going to involve approaches that many on this site will not approve of.
I'd draw the line at seeing a big 6+ though.

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #37 on: 09/23/2018 01:33 pm »
Years ago I read a short story by Kim Stanley Robinson about a woman who danced in zero-G.  It stuck with me all this time.  So I would send a choereographer - somebody who can experiment with new moves right then and there.  Twyla Tharp is too old, but someone imaginative like her.

Offline KelvinZero

« Reply #38 on: 09/23/2018 04:34 pm »
My suggestions revolved around zero-g also. Revisiting this, I don't think it is really about what they produce within that week or new art forms.. I think it is more about gaining a new perspective that they will carry with them for the rest of their creative lives. This does not exclude the above though.

Online ccdengr

• Liked: 491
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #39 on: 09/23/2018 04:46 pm »
Years ago I read a short story by Kim Stanley Robinson about a woman who danced in zero-G.
I think you mean Spider Robinson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardance

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography