Author Topic: Will MRO be able to observe MSL EDL?  (Read 3771 times)

Will MRO be able to observe MSL EDL?
« on: 11/27/2011 11:45 pm »
I can't remember which spacecraft it was but I thought I remembered reading that MRO was able to record the EDL. I'm wondering (and hoping) if MRO will be able to do the same with MSLs EDL. Any clues?

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
Re: Will MRO be able to observe MSL EDL?
« Reply #1 on: 11/27/2011 11:48 pm »
They're going to give it a try, with no guarantees.  They set the bar pretty high with that Phoenix image.

Offline Sparky

• Connecticut
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 11/28/2011 12:06 am »
Seeing Curiosity being lowered by a hovering machine suspended by exhaust plumes would be amazing.

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #3 on: 11/28/2011 12:16 am »
Seeing Curiosity being lowered by a hovering machine suspended by exhaust plumes would be amazing.
You won't see that. Here's the Phoenix image  http://www.uahirise.org/images/2008/details/cut/PSP_008579_9020_cut.jpg (from http://www.uahirise.org/phoenix-descent.php)

They might conceivably get something marginally better of MSL, but don't expect to see details of the lander or rover. Getting the image Phoenix was an amazing achievement.

Offline mdmcgrory

• SWIFT Fan
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: 06/06/2012 07:43 am »
I thought Curiosity had the ability to send a medium data rate through EDL just because it was a flagship mission? I thought it was orbiter independent? No?
Let's not celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Lunar Landing in a conference room on Earth!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #5 on: 06/06/2012 11:08 am »
I thought Curiosity had the ability to send a medium data rate through EDL just because it was a flagship mission? I thought it was orbiter independent? No?

It is orbiter independent once roving.  But it is impossible to send anything but semaphores during EDL.  Being a flagship has nothing to do with it.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography