Author Topic: NASA TV HD Thread  (Read 370574 times)

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
Re: NASA TV HD Thread
« Reply #160 on: 11/17/2008 02:33 am »
Test of shuttle HD downlink is now happening, live and playback, first time ever AFAIK!

Sure is nice to see the shuttle flight deck in wide screen.  Looks like Don was christening the new system with music from an iPod and portable speakers, but we lost the audio.  They ran a segment of RPM video a few times, looks like it was at the end of the RPM when ISS is rising over the tail.  I know this place is prone to hyperbole but that was just gorgeous.  I can't wait until everyone else can see this too :)

Audio was spotty.  Couldn't hear what Houston was saying back to them.

At the end of the test Ferguson said "I guess we'll see you all again on this link on FD15" or something like that.

edit:  Thanks lcs, I knew that, and I've tweaked my text above.  Note that we still will have plenty (cough) of HD coming down via ISS, like during today's docking.  Daily HD highlights package will feed for the first time later tonight!
« Last Edit: 11/17/2008 03:21 am by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline lcs

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #161 on: 11/17/2008 02:54 am »
Actually it was live, just the ISS rising behind the orbiter was playback.  On my big screen HDTV both the video and audio realism was just extraordinary.   Its a shame they won't do this again until FD15. 

Offline lcs

« Reply #162 on: 11/17/2008 03:24 am »
Odd.  The first attempt to show the HD tour of Columbus, etc. was shown on HQ6 (however without sound.)   The second aborted attempt was not shown. 

Offline larmeyers

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #163 on: 11/17/2008 03:40 am »
just jumping in at the end of this... is there a way for someone at home to see any of the HD footage?

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #164 on: 11/17/2008 03:43 am »
Yes, scroll back over the past few pages and you'll see what type of equipment needed. It's not easy.

Offline lcs

« Reply #165 on: 11/17/2008 04:11 am »
Now Greg is downlinking the HD video of the orbiter's approach to ISS and promising more of the RPM coming up.  However it is NOT showing up on HQ6.  Someone at JSC fell asleep.
« Last Edit: 11/17/2008 04:14 am by lcs »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #166 on: 11/17/2008 05:44 pm »
I'm too busy today to post screenshots, or news even, but at 6am they ran the HD package for the first time (around 20 minutes in length) and have been looping it more or less ever since.  Something's wrong with the audio again.  Getting closer :)

UPDATE:  here's a couple screenshots; it was actually a tour of the station given by Greg just prior to STS-126 arrival; probably the same thing as what you saw the SD channels, but in HD of course :)

« Last Edit: 11/20/2008 12:09 am by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #167 on: 11/18/2008 04:41 pm »
FD4 HD highlights fed at 6am today; 29 minutes long; seems to be just "roll the camera" footage of activity in the lab; audio was silent all the way through -- a slight intermittent noise was heard noise the last few minutes but I never heard anything else.  Guess they're still working on that.

Outside of the 6:00am-6:30am ET window today, it's been just a green screen with regular audio from the public/media channels (comms, PAO, etc.).

More screen shots of earlier HD feeds will come as I get time.

« Last Edit: 11/18/2008 05:12 pm by ChrisC »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #168 on: 11/18/2008 06:05 pm »
HD service dropped at 13:30.  It's back to the regular 4 services with the regular bitrates.  Education is not in slate anymore, and is carrying the spacewalk just like Public and Media.  I wonder if they needed to feed the spacealk out on Education for some reason and will bring the HD back later ...

Update 10pm: EVA is long over, still no HD channel.  I imagine it'll come back in time for the morning's 6am highlights feed.
« Last Edit: 11/19/2008 02:22 am by ChrisC »

Offline lcs

« Reply #169 on: 11/19/2008 02:13 am »
Well, it is a pretty good guess.  But for the life of me I don't understand these NASA people.  They start out providing a perfectly good HD channel as promised and even use it to feed the live HD as it comes down.  Then they take it away and feed 'highlights' at the ungodly hour of 6 a.m. ET only once or twice.   Tonight they are downlinking lots of HD but not showing any of it on their advertised feed.  Why can't these people stick with a plan?

Offline dshaffer

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #170 on: 11/19/2008 02:18 am »
What is also frustrating, is that they don't show the HD stuff on the SD channel (for those that don't yet have HD)

Offline lcs

« Reply #171 on: 11/19/2008 02:34 am »
Yes they do.  What came down in the last 30 minutes was shot with the HD camera and it was shown on the SD channel (obviously not in 16:9 widescreen).  And it is much sharper even on SD than standard ISS or shuttle video. 

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #172 on: 11/19/2008 05:52 pm »
FD5 HD highlights fed at 6:00am today.  Only 5 minutes in length, showing EVA ingress and then several crew helping MS1 and MS2 doff their gear.  No sign of the transfer ops footage that was apparently also downlinked.  Audio was good, just open mic, so you could hear regular crew ops as they did EVA support.

Just for my own notes ... The HD service came up just a few minutes before 6:00am.  The HD package came through the first time at 6:00am sharp, then it pretty much stayed on slate for the rest of the hour.  There were two refeeds at 6:26am and 6:34am.  The HD service dropped at 7:07am.  The multiplex is back to the usual 4 SDs.
« Last Edit: 11/19/2008 09:18 pm by ChrisC »

Offline bheil

• Liked: 0
« Reply #173 on: 11/19/2008 06:37 pm »
So is any of the HD video that has been downlinked available online anywhere?  I looked at nasa.gov in the media HD section and all I see is the 126 launch. Also searched here, and haven't found any actual video.
Watching at standard def the clarity of the HD stuff they have downlinked has amazed me.  I can't wait to see the HD stuff in all it's glory!

Offline lcs

« Reply #174 on: 11/19/2008 07:00 pm »
They did not show all the HD downlinked yesterday.  There was at least 15-20 min. of moving equipment activity that was downlinked along with the post-EVA stuff. 

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #175 on: 11/20/2008 12:37 am »
Several posts above updated with screenshots.

The answer to "how do I get NASA HD" is in this post a couple pages back:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=11551.msg327911#msg327911
« Last Edit: 11/20/2008 12:39 am by ChrisC »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #176 on: 11/20/2008 02:33 pm »
FD6 HD highlights ran at 6am as usual; 8 minutes in length; starts out with the same FD5 post-EVA ingress/doff activities; adds about 2 minutes of Sandra doing things in Destiny;and finishes with a 10-year anniversary observance by Ferguson and Finke.  Service 106 was up and down in the multiplex as before.

« Last Edit: 11/20/2008 02:52 pm by ChrisC »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #177 on: 11/20/2008 02:53 pm »
Oooooh, there's more:  KSC HD 105 made a brief appearance at least once this morning; screenshot below.

Update 2:50pm: and it's back now, with a static pad shot.  The image looks noisy, despite being 12 Mbps like before, so I wonder if they're testing video gear.  Looks like the service has been up and down all day.  Bitrates are:

HQ1 5.66 Mbps
HQ2 2.98 Mbps
HQ3 5.97 Mbps
HQ4 7.99 Mbps
KSC HD 12.00 Mbps
(stuffing 12 kbps)

Hopefully they keep it like this -- or even better, do 5/5/5/5/16.
« Last Edit: 11/20/2008 06:54 pm by ChrisC »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #178 on: 11/20/2008 09:25 pm »
The TV schedule PDF now says this on the HD feed line items:

"(HD feed can be seen) on the NASA-TV HDTV Channel #106 at 5am CT; on NASA-TV HD Channel #105 replayed at 7:00am CT, 8:00am CT, 9:00 am CT"

Replay times vary from day to day in the schedule.

Offline rsmath

• Liked: 10
« Reply #179 on: 11/21/2008 08:16 am »
But for the life of me I don't understand these NASA people.  They start out providing a perfectly good HD channel as promised and even use it to feed the live HD as it comes down. 

I think this is more of a test of NASA's HD channel this mission than an actual video service.  I don't know anyone without a c-band dish that is accessing this HD channel (no cable, no DISH, no DIRECTV that I'm aware of). 

I do like the idea of more HD from space (the most HD I've seen from space other than ISS PAO events in the past) so I"m grateful for any HD footage that comes down at 6am ET that I can grab with my PC and PCI satellite tuner card.

I think things will flow much more smoothly once the HD service is actually picked up by a few end-users and becomes less of a closed-circuit feed with NASA TV folks learning how to work it.  Right now, I'd just like to tell NASA to stick with one program for HD (instead of one for JSC and one for KSC).  My automater is set for program 106, so if one of these 6am shots comes up on 105, I'm SOL.  With the WAN system NASA has, I don't see why they can't just funnel HD video from any nasa center to the uplink and keep it all on one program number.

« Last Edit: 11/21/2008 08:18 am by rsmath »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography