Author Topic: OV-104/ATLANTIS: Full Mission History/Tribute Feature Articles (PART 1,2 and 3)  (Read 30912 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

A must-read for space flight fans - a full review of all her service life, missions - by Chris Gebhardt:

PART 1:
OV-104/ATLANTIS: An International Vehicle for a Changing World
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/07/ov-104atlantis-international-vehicle-changing-world/

PART 2:
Shuttle Atlantis and MIR: The Realization of Program Goal
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/07/shuttle-atlantis-mir-realization-program-goal/

PART 3:
Reaching the End: Atlantis and the Fight Against Retirement
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/07/reaching-end-atlantis-fight-against-retirement/

Had an absolute wealth of images for each mission in L2, so used a mix and some beauties.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2011 10:02 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
Great article!

Are there plans for a space shuttle NSF article tribute?

Orbiter
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 63
Absolutely amazing read. Such a history. We're never going to see spaceships as famous as these ever again!

Great article!

Orbiter

The tribute articles for the entire fleet will serve as that. NSF doesn't do one for the Space Shuttle, they do them for each orbiter and each mission ;D

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
The tribute articles for the entire fleet will serve as that. NSF doesn't do one for the Space Shuttle, they do them for each orbiter and each mission ;D
The set could certainly serve that purpose, but I still think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts (or the sum of the orbiters and missions).  At the very least, there's a big picture / integration / program point of view that doesn't necessarily fit with a particular orbiter or mission.
« Last Edit: 07/02/2011 06:44 pm by psloss »

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Absolutely amazing read. Such a history. We're never going to see spaceships as famous as these ever again!

Great article!

Orbiter

Thank you, both I'm finishing up Part II right now and getting the computer warmed up for Part III.

As DavisSTS said, each orbiter and every single one of their missions have been tributed in dedicated articles. As such, there is no plan for a generic Program tribute at this time as we are, instead focusing on the orbiters themselves right now.

But keep watching, Orbiter! I'm sure Chris and I will sit down and have some conversations about additional tributes after the close out of STS-135. :)
« Last Edit: 07/02/2011 06:40 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130
So many images I've missed, and such a great history, thanks Chris G!

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
I live right next to Prefectura! In fact, I saw the ceremony on my way to work. If I had knew I would have got you some more pictures. If you're interested, please pm.

Offline Chris Bergin

So many images I've missed, and such a great history, thanks Chris G!

I tip I use - given all the missions don't fit on the tag page - is to click here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags&tags=STS-27

And just change the STS-XXX at the end. Then it brings up everything on L2 for the mission you choose.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline janmb

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Excellent article Chris G, looking forward to the rest :D
Jan M Berg
Software Engineer
Kongsberg Defense and Aerospace
Norway

Offline Gary NASA

• KSC
  • Liked: 4867
  • Likes Given: 67
These tribute articles/mission service reviews are fantastic! Can't wait for the next parts!

Offline Albireo

• Reutlingen, Germany
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Absolutely awesome!!! I'm already looking forward to the second Part.
Perfect sunday for me.  :)

Offline Chris Bergin

Offline AndrewSTS

• New York
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 14
Awesome part two. Had no idea we did that many MIR missions!

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
Another winner Chris!!!  But what was the issue with Endeavour that prevented her from flying STS-81?
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
Another winner Chris!!!  But what was the issue with Endeavour that prevented her from flying STS-81?
Do you mean STS-86?  If so, it wasn't an Endeavour issue as much as the schedule impact of the STS-83 MDF.  That caught Endeavour without an OPF bay right after she'd returned to KSC from a major mod period out at Palmdale.  (The ISS Service Module schedule was probably another factor.)
« Last Edit: 07/03/2011 10:27 pm by psloss »

Offline TerryNaylor

• Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 49
Fantastic reads!

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
Yes I did, and thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mean STS-86?  If so, it wasn't an Endeavour issue as much as the schedule impact of the STS-83 MDF.  That caught Endeavour without an OPF bay right after she'd returned to KSC from a major mod period out at Palmdale.  (The ISS Service Module schedule was probably another factor.)

<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
Great article. A few questions:
-What action, if any, did NASA take to avoid a repeat of the woodpecker ET damage?
-What happened to the ET/SRB stack rendered defunct by the adhesive problems? Were the SRBs fixed in Florida, shipped elsewhere, or disposed of?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2011 12:07 am by Jason1701 »

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Great article. A few questions:
-What action, if any, did NASA take to avoid a repeat of the woodpecker ET damage?
-What happened to the ET/SRB stack rendered defunct by the adhesive problems? Were the SRBs fixed in Florida, shipped elsewhere, or disposed of?

Thanks.

-- An Avian Deterrent System (aka - a gigantic inflatable Owls) were placed at the pads.
-- The ET was used later on. The SRBs were destacked, cleaned, had the old adhesive applied, and were used on a mission early in the next calendar year.

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 89
Brilliant reads :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston