Author Topic: Orbital's Antares Development Update Thread  (Read 1065178 times)

Offline zaitcev

• mee.nu:zaitcev:space
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Taurus II Development News
« Reply #560 on: 07/29/2010 12:29 am »
Hmmm ... everyone seems to have missed the real significance of the RD-0124, and that is that TII is now capable, to some degree, of putting up comsats, even out of Wallops. Of course, not the largest comsats could be flown, but perhaps some of the Starbus class payloads may be flown on the Enhanced Taurus II.
I thought it wasn't possible before the multiply restart feature was added.
-- Pete

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #561 on: 07/29/2010 01:28 am »
Dr Elias,

Why is that Stage 1 transporter in the middle of Pocomoke City anyway???  It would seem to me much easier to take 'circle' RT1 from Wilmington to Dover, and then merge with and take Rt 113 from there to Pocomoke, where 113 and RT13 intersect south of Pocomoke. Unless there some height/weight restrictions somewhere along 113 that kill my idea, it'd be much easier IMHO.  113 is a great drive with only 3-4 towns to go through - beats 13 any old day (or night).

CB

As substantiated by newspaper and television reports, the pathfinder conducted by Orbital Sciences and its heavy hauling subcontractor, Diamond Heavy Haul from Ohio, began on Wednesday night and concluded on Thursday afternoon, 8-9 July 2010.

The pathfinder originated at the Port of Wilmington, Delaware and concluded at the NASA Wallops Flight Facility main base.

The general main route of highway travel was (1) Delaware Route 1 to Dover, Delaware, (2) U. S. Route 113 to Pocomoke City, Maryland, (3) U. S. Route 13 to T's Corner, Virginia, and (4) Virginia Route 175 to Wallops.

« Last Edit: 07/29/2010 02:56 pm by Freddie »

Offline Freddie

« Reply #562 on: 07/29/2010 01:32 am »
Uhhh... don't know... for me, going to Wallops is JYO STILL WOOLY  V44 BAL V93 GRACO SBY WAL (58 minutes at 11,000 ft)

According to Tim, the tightest turn is at the corner between Rt 13 and Rt 175 (see picture) - does that make any sense to you?  I need a guide to go from the Wallops gate to the sandwich shop (what is it called?  Seaside Deli?)

Super E is correct in his reporting.  The tightest turn on the pathfinder route taken was at the intersection of U. S. Route 13 and Virginia Route 175 at T's Corner, Virginia.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #563 on: 07/29/2010 01:35 am »
Uhhh... don't know... for me, going to Wallops is JYO STILL WOOLY  V44 BAL V93 GRACO SBY WAL (58 minutes at 11,000 ft)

According to Tim, the tightest turn is at the corner between Rt 13 and Rt 175 (see picture) - does that make any sense to you?  I need a guide to go from the Wallops gate to the sandwich shop (what is it called?  Seaside Deli?)

Tell me about it, when I left the open house I tried to get a picture of the pad construction.... first I ended up in a mobile home park on Chincoteague, then I finally got to the beach on Assateague but the beach with the view of the range was closed for bird mating/hatching season, fortunately one of the park guys guided me to the old ferry landing, but the bridge to the range blocked the 0 pads, I tried a little further south but ended up at the gate and had to turn around at the chicken coop (who puts a chicken coop right at the entrance to a spaceport?)

WFF really needs to get a better viewing area for the range since there aren't any tours.

Offline Freddie

« Reply #564 on: 07/29/2010 02:00 am »

Tell me about it, when I left the open house I tried to get a picture of the pad construction.... first I ended up in a mobile home park on Chincoteague, then I finally got to the beach on Assateague but the beach with the view of the range was closed for bird mating/hatching season, fortunately one of the park guys guided me to the old ferry landing, but the bridge to the range blocked the 0 pads, I tried a little further south but ended up at the gate and had to turn around at the chicken coop (who puts a chicken coop right at the entrance to a spaceport?)

WFF really needs to get a better viewing area for the range since there aren't any tours.

Directions to the nearest view from the Eastern Shore of Virginia mainland of Pads 0-A and 0-B...

1. When traveling south to the village town of Atlantic on Virginia Route 679, continue through Atlantic and continue going south  (P.S. Please be sure to stop at Wolff's Sandwich Shop on the right when going south through Atlantic to have breakfast or lunch with Accomack County Commissioner Ron Wolff, a former school teacher extraordinaire, who represents the area and is an avid supporter of Wallops.)
2. The next village town is Assawoman where the Virginia Route 679 becomes a "Y"
3. Instead of taking the left "Y" - Wallops Island Road - take the right "Y" and continue south on Virginia Route 679
4. At the first road on the left - Arbuckle Neck Road - turn left and go to the deadend which will be at the water's edge to view directly across to Pads 0-A and 0-B

Offline charlieb

• Veteran
  • King of Prussia, PA, USA
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #565 on: 07/29/2010 02:14 am »
That answers my comments/questions quite well.

Dr Elias,

Why is that Stage 1 transporter in the middle of Pocomoke City anyway???  It would seem to me much easier to take 'circle' RT1 from Wilmington to Dover, and then merge with and take Rt 113 from there to Pocomoke, where 113 and RT13 intersect south of Pocomoke. Unless there some height/weight restrictions somewhere along 113 that kill my idea, it'd be much easier IMHO.  113 is a great drive with only 3-4 towns to go through - beats 13 any old day (or night).

CB

As substantiated by newspaper and television reports, the pathfinder conducted by Orbital Sciences and its heavy hauling subcontractor, Diamond Heavy Haul from Ohio, began on Wednesday night and concluded on Thursday afternoon, 8-9 July 2010.

The pathfinder originated at the Port of Wilmington, Delaware and concluded at the NASA Wallops Flight Facility main base.

The general main route of highway travel was (1) Delaware Route 1 to Dover, Delaware, (2) U. S. Route 113 to Pocomoke City, Maryland, (4) U. S. Route 13 to T's Corner, Virginia, and (4) Virginia Route 175 to Wallops.

Former Shuttle Mission Ops Eng  (In them days DF24 - INCO GROUP/COMMS, Now DS231-AVIONICS BRANCH).

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #566 on: 07/29/2010 02:18 am »
I'm told they are tying to find a way through Maryland... no, it's just pure coincidence that it's stuck less than a mile from Orbital Headquarters... I'll try to find out more about it."

Heh, that is some coincidence! 

Offline David AF

• F-22 Raptor Instructor / Fighter Pilot
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #567 on: 07/29/2010 03:07 am »

Very good sir! :)
F-22 Raptor instructor

Offline zaitcev

« Reply #568 on: 07/29/2010 03:39 pm »
Wow! April Fools' jokes come true?!

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=15457.345

Well, I *TOLD* you I liked it a lot!!!

Small wonder, really. Dmitry is a rocket designer by trade, he knows how to calculate optimum stage breakdown and things of such nature. He probably saw an opportunity right away. However, I do suspect that contrary to Dmitry's joke project, actual Blok I is not to be used. For one thing Orbital already has a perfectly good in-house avionics suite. All they need is a way to build upper stage tanks and maybe some trusses.

-- Pete

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #569 on: 07/29/2010 05:54 pm »
I wonder if there is a market for a relatively inexpensive all-Orbital comsat/launcher system.

Pretty much every industry analyst thought that was the point when Taurus II was announced.  Don't know if Orbital management ever confirmed that.  It also fits the Delta II NASA niche pretty well.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Dmitry_V_home

• City of Toglliatti, Samara region, Russia
  • Liked: 666
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #570 on: 07/30/2010 03:33 pm »

O, yea! But all the same, you owe me a beer pint! :-)

Offline Dmitry_V_home

« Reply #571 on: 07/30/2010 03:36 pm »
Dmitry is a rocket designer by trade, ...

Unfortunately, the FORMER designer of rockets :-(

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #572 on: 08/03/2010 02:29 pm »

ї ї ї ї ї Pint ? ? ? ? ?  Ugh, make it half a LITER!

What is the best beer in Stavropol... I mean, Тольятти?
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #573 on: 08/03/2010 02:31 pm »
Flash News - Dulles, August 02.  After days of agonizing wait, the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport main LOX tank has resumed its arduous treck towards Wallops Island after workmen welded two broken pieces in the aft turntable.

Film at 11.
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline zaitcev

« Reply #574 on: 08/03/2010 04:29 pm »
Flash News - Dulles, August 02.  After days of agonizing wait, the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport main LOX tank has resumed its arduous treck towards Wallops Island after workmen welded two broken pieces in the aft turntable.
Glad to hear that. Too bad I'm not familiar with the area and cannot relate to the scope of the difficulty.
-- P

Offline charlieb

• Veteran
  • King of Prussia, PA, USA
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #575 on: 08/03/2010 08:27 pm »

B-Roll please!

Film at 11.

Former Shuttle Mission Ops Eng  (In them days DF24 - INCO GROUP/COMMS, Now DS231-AVIONICS BRANCH).

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #576 on: 08/04/2010 01:11 am »
"Ukraine postpones delivery of Taurus-II launch vehicle's first stage to U.S."

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sci/2010-08/04/c_13428726.htm

- Ed Kyle

Offline Dmitry_V_home

« Reply #577 on: 08/04/2010 03:07 pm »

ї ї ї ї ї Pint ? ? ? ? ?  Ugh, make it half a LITER!

What is the best beer in Stavropol... I mean, Тольятти?

Oh, Antonio, I can easily make it in gallon! As to a question on the best beer in Tolyatti it is very difficult! On the one hand, capitalism in Russia has led to a choice problem. On the other hand, at everyone the taste. Not further, as yesterday, I have tried beer "Dukat". It is  prepared on the Czech technology, and very much it was pleasant to me. In any case, I most of all like rockets! And Taurus II it is pleasant to me more than Falcon. :-)
« Last Edit: 08/04/2010 05:37 pm by Dmitry_V_home »

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #578 on: 08/05/2010 02:55 am »

Where do I write a letter to the Chinese state news service?  NASA is not funding Taurus II.  Orbital likes their IP.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #579 on: 08/06/2010 02:22 am »

Where do I write a letter to the Chinese state news service?  NASA is not funding Taurus II.  Orbital likes their IP.

Right.  NASA is not providing any funding to Orbital.
Except for $1.9 billion.  For starters.
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2008/12/spacex-and-orbital-win-huge-crs-contract-from-nasa/

- Ed Kyle

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography