Author Topic: Russian Segment  (Read 191062 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
Re: Russian Segment
« Reply #320 on: 08/20/2009 01:16 am »
Note that the graphic for MRM-2 indicates that it will be launched by Soyuz FG, not Soyuz-U, which was the launcher for the similar Pirs.

Offline simon-th

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #321 on: 08/20/2009 07:54 am »
Don't bet your money on it guys.

Personally I'll be positively surprised if MLM launches in 2011
I'll be even more surprised if the nodal module and science and power modules get built and get launched. (Not even hoping they'll launch in the years mentioned above.)
And as for that 'piloted station' or something. As much as I'd like it. It's not going to happen.

These are nice powerpoint presentations, but no more than that.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

MLM, MRM-1 and MRM-2 are funded.
The rest is not.

The whole structure (MLM-Nodal-the two science and power modules) that they want to have in place in 2015 was a Plan B backup of the Russians in the event the US were to back out of the ISS project in 2015. It is a somewhat cheap way of continuing HSF with Soyuz and Progress and Russian modules - they would just undock that structure from the ISS and continue with it as a base. MLM would be serving as the service module for that structure.

Of course once the US is onboard for ISS to 2020+, the whole rational of building that Nodal module and the two science power modules goes away.

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #322 on: 08/20/2009 10:42 am »
Note that the graphic for MRM-2 indicates that it will be launched by Soyuz FG, not Soyuz-U, which was the launcher for the similar Pirs

It is mistake. Progress M-MIM2 will be launched by Soyuz-U rocket. There was tender on Roskosmos website, which proves that it will be Soyuz-U rocket: "Подготовка к транспортировке, транспортировка, сопровождение РН 11А511У с ГО 11С517А2 для МИМ2"

MLM, MRM-1 and MRM-2 are funded

Yes for MRM-1 and MRM-2, and we see they are manufactured. But I doubt about MLM because I have not heard news about its preparation. The launch date is continuing to delay, and now it is planned in the first quarter of 2012.

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #323 on: 09/19/2009 03:11 pm »
According to Novosti kosmonavtiki forum, Roskosmos has offered to RSC Energia the following names for new Russian modules:

MRM-2 - Поиск/Poisk/Search (or Quest ;) )
MRM-1 - Развитие/Rasvitie/Development
MLM - Перспектива/Perspektiva/Perspective

According to Novosti kosmonavtiki forum, the following names are confirmed for new Russian modules:

МИМ-2/MIM-2/MRM-2 - Поиск/Poisk/Search
МИМ-1/MIM-1/MRM-1 - Рассвет/Rassvet/Dawn
МЛМ/MLM/MLM - Наука/Nauka/Science

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #324 on: 09/20/2009 11:59 pm »
According to Novosti kosmonavtiki forum, Roskosmos has offered to RSC Energia the following names for new Russian modules:

According to Novosti kosmonavtiki forum, the following names are confirmed for new Russian modules:

Geez, these sound like Dan Goldin NASA names. "Search", well, meh, its what you do on Yandex.ru, "Dawn makes this the second Russian segment module with this name (Zarya is the other) and calling the science module "Science", well at least its apt.

Offline cd-slam

• Singapore
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #325 on: 09/21/2009 12:41 am »

I wonder if NASA PAO had anything to do with the change from "Rasvitie" to "Rassvet" (i.e. easier to pronounce). :)

I for one like the dualism of having US and Russian airlocks with similar names in translation ("Quest" and "Search").

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #326 on: 09/22/2009 09:04 am »
Probably said elsewhere, but could someone explain to me the fate of Pirs before MLM/Nauka arrives. It has to go to make room, but where ?

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #327 on: 09/22/2009 09:11 am »
Probably said elsewhere, but could someone explain to me the fate of Pirs before MLM/Nauka arrives. It has to go to make room, but where ?

It will be disposed off.

A Progress transporter will take it with it at the end of its mission and will deorbit Pirs

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #328 on: 09/22/2009 02:59 pm »

It will be disposed off.

A Progress transporter will take it with it at the end of its mission and will deorbit Pirs

This will probably only happen when MLM has been launched, or is close to launch. In the meantime, the Russian segment will have twin airlocks.

Since MLM launch is more or less receding in time by one year for every year of real time, the question is: what defines end of service life for Pirs? If MLM never launches, how long can Pirs remain in service?

Offline cd-slam

• Singapore
« Reply #329 on: 09/23/2009 02:57 am »
This will probably only happen when MLM has been launched, or is close to launch. In the meantime, the Russian segment will have twin airlocks.

Since MLM launch is more or less receding in time by one year for every year of real time, the question is: what defines end of service life for Pirs? If MLM never launches, how long can Pirs remain in service?

I'm not so sure that Pirs will make it to MLM launch. As per an old document, Pirs is only certified for an on-orbit lifetime of 10 years. That will expire in September 2011, regardless of when Nauka finally launches.

That will leave the IPs with an unpalatable choice of agreeing to extend Pirs' lifetime, or jettisoning it which would remove a Soyuz/Progress docking berth (as Soyuz/Progress is not compatible with the Zvezda nadir berth). 

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #330 on: 09/23/2009 06:42 am »
As with Shuttle, I am always amazed how literally folks take the term "recertification". Almost like the law, or gospel. Like the MER's, Voyager's, Mir any countless other spacecraft, this module won't fall apart after 10 years. Nor does your car beyond the warrenty. So this is a non issue: They will monitor the systems, change failed components as they always do, and use the module longer.

Analyst

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #331 on: 09/23/2009 09:28 pm »
As per an old document, Pirs is only certified for an on-orbit lifetime of 10 years

According to official documents, Pirs module was actually certified for only 5 years of an on-orbit lifetime.

Offline cd-slam

• Singapore
« Reply #332 on: 09/24/2009 12:07 am »
As per an old document, Pirs is only certified for an on-orbit lifetime of 10 years

According to official documents, Pirs module was actually certified for only 5 years of an on-orbit lifetime.

I stand corrected. So I guess it won't be sent back to the manufacturer for repairs. :)

Offline Zipi

• Imatra, Finland
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #333 on: 09/24/2009 02:00 pm »
Don't Russia have some commitment to launch MLM since European Robotic Arm (ERA) has scheduled to fly with it?
Broken man-made things can be fixed (if you find the pieces).

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #334 on: 09/24/2009 04:06 pm »
Since ERA will only operate on the Russian segment I would say it's up the the Russian if they want to launch it or not. They are the only ones they will use it since no other country has any experiments/equipment on the Russian segment.

I'm not sure but I would guess that ERA is own and payed for by the Russian, probably in a trade will seats on Soyuz for ESA.

Offline Zipi

• Imatra, Finland
« Reply #335 on: 09/24/2009 04:23 pm »
I tried to find info about ERA ownership, but didn't succeeded with that. However I found this interesting PDF:

http://www.spaceflight.esa.int/users/downloads/factsheets/fs008_11_era.pdf
(I don't know if this link is already posted somewhere, but here it is)

Offline Solar_OPS

• Likes Given: 4
« Reply #336 on: 09/24/2009 10:55 pm »
I tried to find info about ERA ownership, but didn't succeeded with that. However I found this interesting PDF:

http://www.spaceflight.esa.int/users/downloads/factsheets/fs008_11_era.pdf
(I don't know if this link is already posted somewhere, but here it is)

A quick search gave this in an old document:

Under a July 1996 agreement, Russia will take ownership of the flight hardware once it is launched, in exchange for which ESA will participate in robotics activities aboard the Station and Agency astronauts will be trained at the Gagarin centre.The ground systems remain the property of ESA.

More info and unfortunately very outdated milestones can be found in:

http://esapub.esrin.esa.it/onstation/onstation2/era2.pdf

Enjoy the reading.

Denis

Offline Zipi

• Imatra, Finland
« Reply #337 on: 09/30/2009 05:49 pm »
If Russians somehow manage to finance nodal module and scientific power platforms, is there enough clearance for new solar panels at current ISS configuration?

At least for me it seems that current US built big panels and Russian scientific power platform panels need to be synchronized pretty carefully to avoid hitting each other...

Offline simon-th

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #338 on: 09/30/2009 06:10 pm »
If Russians somehow manage to finance nodal module and scientific power platforms, is there enough clearance for new solar panels at current ISS configuration?

At least for me it seems that current US built big panels and Russian scientific power platform panels need to be synchronized pretty carefully to avoid hitting each other...

The old Science Power Platform (SSP) also didn't have clearance issues with the solar arrays. The truss is actually pretty long. As long as the solar panels stay within a certain range bound on the port and starboard side of the Russian modules, there really aren't any big issues.

For comparison reasons, look at the original configuration with the SSP:

« Last Edit: 09/30/2009 06:11 pm by simon-th »

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #339 on: 10/01/2009 01:48 am »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement