Author Topic: Real propellantless propulsion demonstrated live at Spacecom 2024 in Orlando  (Read 5281 times)

Offline Quantum Spider

• Atlanta
    • Quantum Dynamics Enterprises, Inc.
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
CID CENTRIFUGAL IMPULSE DRIVE OPERATING AT HIGH RPM
 Rotors are turning in opposite directions. As the rotor magnet leaves the magnet field centrifugal force tries to throw the magnet out but because of the high rpm speed, it never gets fully extended before reaching the opposing magnetic field that slams back into the rotor housing. then centrifugal force again tries to throw the arm out but the opposing magnetic field prevents it from fully extending it only comes out a small amount until the gap then it repeats. www.qde-inc.com

« Last Edit: 02/06/2024 12:04 pm by Quantum Spider »

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 52
A spinning thing rotating slowly? Surely all that needs is for one rotor to have a different moment of inertia than the other, and the bearings to have non-zero friction. Show me it moving in a straight line.

Online InterestedEngineer

• Seattle
  • Liked: 1840
  • Likes Given: 3026
how is that not a propeller?

The open end is the opposite the direction of motion.  It is very possible it is merely pushing air out of those openings.

Put a 180 degree duct over that opening and see if it goes in the opposite direction.

Or just make the air flow symmetrical and see if acceleration stops.
« Last Edit: 02/06/2024 07:16 pm by InterestedEngineer »

Offline Hobbes-22

• Acme Engineering
    • Acme Engineering
  • Liked: 598
  • Likes Given: 487
I think the rotation is caused by the torque from the motors driving the rotors. Although they're counterrotating, they're at different distances to the center of rotation, so one exerts a larger force than the other. This thing would spin faster if you had one rotor stopped.

Online SpaceChief

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 5
I think the rotation is caused by the torque from the motors driving the rotors. Although they're counterrotating, they're at different distances to the center of rotation, so one exerts a larger force than the other. This thing would spin faster if you had one rotor stopped.

If not the above, it looks like it could also be underdamped mechanical vibration. QS, do you account for vibration in your test setup?

Online SpaceChief

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 5
And now the secret sauce. CID can rotate clockwise or counterclockwise on the torsion balance depending on RPM speed.
At a low RPM, the rotor is thrown out with a force and CID moves in that direction and operates as normal. https://qde-inc.com/cid-theory https://qde-inc.com/test-results-from-ga-tech

But at high rpm, the rotor is moving so fast it can't get fully extended before it is slammed in by the opposing magnetic field. We have reversed the rotation on the torsion balance without changing the rotation of the rotors. Look at the videos you can see at low rpm CID moves toward the direction of the GAP and at high rpm it moves toward the magnet array. Looks like a horseshoe crab to me :) https://qde-inc.com/spacecom-2024

So in conclusion CID can go forward and backward depending on the RPM speed. And we get more thrust at the high rpm speed. Hence we used it for our demo at spacecom 2024.

Sincerely, Harry Sprain
CID can go clockwise or counterclockwise depending on RPM speed. How would vibrations cause that?

Harry Sprain

This is purely intuitive, but it seems to me that if the rotating system is at a harmonic the net moment could be one value, whereas if it's above or below that harmonic the net moment could have the opposite sign. In other words the system as demonstrated behaves like a gyroscope at one speed, and like an unbalanced vibrating motor at another speed. That there is a gap in the band of magnets kind of implies there has to be some mechanical vibration acting on the frame.

Offline Bizgec

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 1
If your paper describing the physics of this device isn't complete nonsense (hint: it is), you'll have no trouble at all getting financing to put a demonstrator on a cubesat and get a rideshare to orbit. I'm looking forward to the results.

Offline redneck

• swamp in Florida
  • Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 130
If your paper describing the physics of this device isn't complete nonsense (hint: it is), you'll have no trouble at all getting financing to put a demonstrator on a cubesat and get a rideshare to orbit. I'm looking forward to the results.

I would think a pendulum test might be in order. With a sealed unit of course to avoid air flow propulsion.

Offline Bizgec

I would think a pendulum test might be in order. With a sealed unit of course to avoid air flow propulsion.
You'd think so, but if you read the other thread https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41475.0 on this very same topic, a pendulum test was already suggested and either not performed (since it wouldn't work) or not reported on (since it didn't work).

This is just another crackpot idea that starts with "I don't understand the maths but ... Newton's third law doesn't work ...", only this time conveniently with "quantum" in the name of the company. So either a scam, or nonsense that could be resolved if the proponent was prepared to invest the time for attending one semester of a university-level physics course in order to actually understand the words they're using. Instead of wasting years puttering about with a magical device that doesn't do any magic. And getting a patent ... the amount of irony in that is enough to keep an entire steelworks in supplies for a decade.

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 52
The "How CID works at low RPM" page at https://qde-inc.com/cid-theory says "The physical process is analogous to rapidly firing BBs at a larger object."  If you sit in a sealed box in space and shoot the wall with a BB gun, you will not go anywhere because the recoil in the gun is equal and opposite to the BB impact. In your device, the magnets are the recoil equivalent.

Ultimately, magnets are not magic. If something is being pushed by a magnetic field, then it is being pushed just as it would by a solid surface or a spring. This is "shaking things around inside the box" and Newton is definitive on that subject.

Offline redneck

• swamp in Florida
  • Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 130

You'd think so, but if you read the other thread https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41475.0 on this very same topic, a pendulum test was already suggested and either not performed (since it wouldn't work) or not reported on (since it didn't work).

This is just another crackpot idea that starts with "I don't understand the maths but ... Newton's third law doesn't work ...", only this time conveniently with "quantum" in the name of the company. So either a scam, or nonsense that could be resolved if the proponent was prepared to invest the time for attending one semester of a university-level physics course in order to actually understand the words they're using. Instead of wasting years puttering about with a magical device that doesn't do any magic. And getting a patent ... the amount of irony in that is enough to keep an entire steelworks in supplies for a decade.

CID has been tested in every way possible. Now we are putting it in Space. We have already met with manufacturers and launch services.  OH and the other thread is mine from 2016 we have learned a lot since then.

Sounds like you have it all figured out and donít need anything from us.   

Offline Bizgec

CID has been tested in every way possible. Now we are putting it in Space. We have already met with manufacturers and launch services.  OH and the other thread is mine from 2016 we have learned a lot since then.

Thar video doesnít show your whole test setup, and it doesnít show constant deflection, just vibration and what appears to be symmetrical swinging around the equilibrium point. It's hard to tell since there's not even a scale visible.

Well, I guess there's not much harm done by your wasting time with this nonsense. I just wish you'd stop repeating the same debunked explanations oved and over and expecting different results. Par for the course.

You should choose a different nickname,  however. There's nothing quantum about your misunderstanding of elementary physics.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7651
  • Likes Given: 74693
Moderator:
OK.  Illuminating discussion has ended.  Thread locked. 🔒
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography