Author Topic: SLS General Discussion Thread 8  (Read 266112 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

SLS General Discussion Thread 8
« on: 08/23/2022 04:19 am »
Latest thread, following on from this one:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=54967.0

Also see: SLS articles:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/news/artemis/

ALSO: Given it's now into launch time, the Orion (BEO) section is the location of major threads for the mission.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=53.0

L2 SLS:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=48.0

Make sure your posts are worthwhile and don't get into monotonous "I will reply to everything you say and make my point 500 times until it grinds you into the ground" posts.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline shintoo

• Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 490
Re: SLS General Discussion Thread 8
« Reply #1 on: 08/23/2022 12:58 pm »
This upcoming launch will be louder than shuttle of course, but will it be the loudest seen (heard) at the cape? The liftoff thrust is higher than the Saturn V, but with the sound suppression system I can imagine it possibly still being quieter.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8803
  • Likes Given: 7821
« Reply #2 on: 08/23/2022 01:07 pm »
Artemis I Path to the Pad: The Rocket

Have you ever wondered what it takes to assemble the most powerful rocket NASA has ever built? Watch documentary footage of our Space Launch System (SLS) rocket's transformation into the over-300-foot-tall launch vehicle that will return humanity to the Moon.

Starting with manufacturing and ending with stacking operations inside NASA Kennedy Space Center's Vehicle Assembly Building, this is only the beginning of SLS's path to the pad.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Alvian@IDN

« Reply #3 on: 08/23/2022 02:21 pm »
Have you ever wondered what it takes to assemble the most powerful rocket NASA has ever built? Watch documentary footage of our Space Launch System (SLS) rocket's transformation into the over-300-foot-tall launch vehicle that will return humanity to the Moon.

Starting with manufacturing and ending with stacking operations inside NASA Kennedy Space Center's Vehicle Assembly Building, this is only the beginning of SLS's path to the pad.
I gotta say this is imo the best NASA PR decision they've ever made. God on how tiresome the debates already are on their previous claims "most powerful rocket evah" and glad NASA people finally moving on
« Last Edit: 08/24/2022 11:03 pm by Alvian@IDN »
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #4 on: 08/23/2022 02:36 pm »
This upcoming launch will be louder than shuttle of course, but will it be the loudest seen (heard) at the cape? The liftoff thrust is higher than the Saturn V, but with the sound suppression system I can imagine it possibly still being quieter.

Yes, it will be the loudest.   More thrust than Saturn V. 
Also, sound suppression is only to protect the pad and vehicle locally, while vehicle lifts off.   It doesn't nothing for the surrounding area nor does it do anything when the vehicle is several dozens of feet in the air where there is nothing to impede the sound.

Offline shintoo

« Reply #5 on: 08/23/2022 06:33 pm »
I have been a fan of all of the videos released over the past few years really going over Artemis, SLS, Orion, Gateway, etc. They have varied in tone and what in particular they showcase, from animations to cinematic footage. Might have to have a marathon with the family on L-1.

One good PR step would be to give it a name, preferable one that isn't Mega Moon Rocket. I just have a hard time seeing the term "SLS" catch endearment in the public dialogue. People even now still call any launch a "shuttle" launch (but that may have less to do with the name "shuttle" and more to do with its long list of flights and being a cultural icon).

I have seen, at least since rollout for launch, people refer to the stack as "Artemis". The launch vehicle of the Shuttle program was the Shuttle, but really Artemis is a broader program consisting of several launchers, so not quite parallel.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #6 on: 08/23/2022 07:38 pm »
I have been a fan of all of the videos released over the past few years really going over Artemis, SLS, Orion, Gateway, etc. They have varied in tone and what in particular they showcase, from animations to cinematic footage. Might have to have a marathon with the family on L-1.

One good PR step would be to give it a name, preferable one that isn't Mega Moon Rocket. I just have a hard time seeing the term "SLS" catch endearment in the public dialogue. People even now still call any launch a "shuttle" launch (but that may have less to do with the name "shuttle" and more to do with its long list of flights and being a cultural icon).

I have seen, at least since rollout for launch, people refer to the stack as "Artemis". The launch vehicle of the Shuttle program was the Shuttle, but really Artemis is a broader program consisting of several launchers, so not quite parallel.
Artemis? Orion? Then they should call SLS Zeus.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4318
  • Likes Given: 1759
« Reply #7 on: 08/23/2022 07:44 pm »

Except to be consistent with Apollo, they should call the rocket Jupiter, carefully mixing up Greek and Roman mythology in the approved manner. Sadly, there was already a Jupiter rocket.

Offline shintoo

« Reply #8 on: 08/23/2022 08:00 pm »

Except to be consistent with Apollo, they should call the rocket Jupiter, carefully mixing up Greek and Roman mythology in the approved manner. Sadly, there was already a Jupiter rocket.

Direct had no qualms with reusing the name Jupiter, and you could say SLS evolved from that design. I used to think Jupiter IV was a good name - the rocket is even big and orange. But I also could see plenty of the public confused why a rocket named Jupiter isn't headed for Jupiter. It almost was though, lol. Jupiter, or Jupiter IV, maybe sounds a little too old-school to some folks at NASA, but lots of people like the old-school NASA image.

Zeus is the perfect name. The first line of the Orion (mythology) wikipedia page:

In Greek mythology, Orion was a giant huntsman whom Zeus (or perhaps Artemis) placed among the stars as the constellation of Orion.

Seems like a no-brainer.

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
« Reply #9 on: 08/23/2022 08:29 pm »

Direct had no qualms with reusing the name Jupiter, and you could say SLS evolved from that design. I used to think Jupiter IV was a good name - the rocket is even big and orange. But I also could see plenty of the public confused why a rocket named Jupiter isn't headed for Jupiter. It almost was though, lol. Jupiter, or Jupiter IV, maybe sounds a little too old-school to some folks at NASA, but lots of people like the old-school NASA image.

Zeus is the perfect name. The first line of the Orion (mythology) wikipedia page:

In Greek mythology, Orion was a giant huntsman whom Zeus (or perhaps Artemis) placed among the stars as the constellation of Orion.

Seems like a no-brainer.
Zeus  is the proper, consistent, and correct name. That's my objection. The Apollo program used mixed-up Greek and Roman names, so we should use mixed-up Greek and roman names to be consistent with the Apollo program. "Jupiter" is the Roman name for "Zeus".

Offline shintoo

« Reply #10 on: 08/23/2022 09:18 pm »
Counterpoint - instead of staying consistent with past naming schemes, we take a look at how modern rockets have gotten their names. With Falcon, Vulcan, Terran, and Firefly's Alpha, there is some precedence for a sci-fi inspired name. Unfortunately, I can't think of one that fits.

In all the ways this conversation could end, I still can't imagine how it would conclude with "Mega Moon Rocket"  ;D

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1144
« Reply #11 on: 08/23/2022 09:54 pm »
I know someone posted this before, the ideal name for SLS is Albatross.

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
« Reply #12 on: 08/23/2022 10:00 pm »
How about Chimera? Stuck together from pieces of several different animals.
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(mythology)

Online yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065
« Reply #13 on: 08/23/2022 10:36 pm »
I would call SLS, Ares IV.

Online yg1968

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #15 on: 08/23/2022 11:00 pm »

It kinda does look like Ares IV, except the upper stage is way shorter.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Online yg1968

« Reply #16 on: 08/23/2022 11:10 pm »

Ares IV never existed. There was an Ares V under Constellation but no Ares IV.

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #17 on: 08/24/2022 12:20 am »

Ares IV never existed. There was an Ares V under Constellation but no Ares IV.

There technically was an Ares IV concept: the Ares V core stage and SRBs merged with the Ares I upper stage and Orion spacecraft.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline shintoo

« Reply #18 on: 08/24/2022 03:46 am »
Speaking of old designs - at what point did the decision to move to 5 segment SRB's take place? Was it related to the move to RS-25s over RS-68s?

I know the RS-68s were decided against because of their ablative heat shielding being affected by SRB exhaust heat, and with that engine having a higher thrust, I can see the change to RS-25s and adding a segment to each of the SRBs to make up for the lost thrust happening hand in hand. That is my guess for the story, at least.

Offline greybeardengineer

• Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #19 on: 08/24/2022 01:02 pm »

Alabamatross?

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography